Bike security on the road.

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
LITELOK X3 or Hiplok D1000/DX1000. The weakest link then would be what you attach them to.

Pragmasis chains and anchors are worth a look as well.

None of the above are cheap, but when all your toys are stolen in the middle of the night, it hurts. I know.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
LITELOK X3 or Hiplok D1000/DX1000. The weakest link then would be what you attach them to.

Pragmasis chains and anchors are worth a look as well.

None of the above are cheap, but when all your toys are stolen in the middle of the night, it hurts. I know.
They look like some good locks! 👍

I use multiple gold assured locks on the bikes in my brick workshop, including on the access door, but because I know nothing will stop somebody who really wants them I also have them separately insured.

Ridenfool

Oct 18, 2021
Tejas
inside the van is the only answer..............so you sleep outside and bike(s) sleep in the van :LOL::LOL:

I built a Transit conversion so both I and the bike sleep safely inside without either of us being disassembled. ;)

Below is an old photo from early in the build. Eventually installed a jack-knife bed that is easy to unfold with the bike (now Turbo Levo) stored in the "garage."

MTB2LR.jpg

Here's what it looks like finished, without the bike in the garage.

NoMoBugz2.jpg

Last edited:

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
I'd be interested to know what you are using to secure your bikes when on the road. Most insurance companies (UK) want you to use 'gold' standard locks and chains.

I have a VW Transporter camper. I have an ebike specific tow ball bike carrier.

I'm under no illusion that if a thief wants them and comes prepared that no lock will stop them and I'm ott about not leaving the bikes out of my sight.

I intend at night locking them to the side of my van in the awning and sleeping with the side door open.

TIA
Transit Custom

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I built a Transit conversion so both I and the bike sleep safely inside without either of us being disassembled. ;)

Below is an old photo from early in the build. Eventually installed a jack-knife bed that is easy to unfold with the bike (now Turbo Levo) stored in the "garage."

View attachment 132985

Here's what it looks like finished, without the bike in the garage.

View attachment 132988
Yes that's a brilliant set up . I have to take wheels off mine . Only room for that if I'm on my own.

Ridenfool

Oct 18, 2021
Tejas
Yes that's a brilliant set up . I have to take wheels off mine . Only room for that if I'm on my own.

Thanks!

Mine is a one-person rig. The missus doesn't ride, and didn't want to go with me, but did get her own RV for Glamping with girlfriends.

In the upper right of the photo is installed a fork mount bracket. I was removing the wheel to store it there until I had the epiphany one day that the bike would actually fit diagonally with both wheels attached.

MTB1.jpg

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Thanks!

Mine is a one-person rig. The missus doesn't ride, and didn't want to go with me, but did get her own RV for Glamping with girlfriends.

In the upper right of the photo is installed a fork mount bracket. I was removing the wheel to store it there until I had the epiphany one day that the bike would actually fit diagonally with both wheels attached.

View attachment 133001
Mines a small Toyota Alphard. A rear conversion would have been better than my side one.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I use a Pitbull gold with toughened cable and the supplied lock on my escorpion bike carrier and a 24” breaker bar next to me in the car if anyone wants to risk me wrapping it round their neck trying to get my bike in heavy traffic or while parked up 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles