Bike security at home

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Can anyone offer some advice with regard to bike security. I'm thinking along the lines of a secure wall/floor fitting and something like an Abus or Kryptonite lock and chain combo. The bike is stored in an attached garage with a bolt each side on up and over doors and boarded up windows. Are there any other options?

Al

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
My garage also holds my motorcycles. So I have a humungous ground anchor and the garage itself is on a separate (very loud) alarm system. The up and over door has a 'garage guard' so it can't be opened if that is in place and the door itself is electric and can only be opened with the remote. Out the front of the garage are two cars which block the access. There are no other doors and the windows at the back are about 15 feet above ground level.

My pushbikes are chained to a wall anchor with kryptonite locks and have their own little personal alarms.

If they want the bikes, they are seriously going to have to work at it.

Alan

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have two up and over basic aluminium garage doors in my brick and breezeblock garage. So I have rivetted a pair of sliding door bolts to the bottom of each door and drilled into the concrete floor to take the bolts. The doors can now only be opened from the inside, or with a saw, but you have to know that the bolts are there!
The manky old pedestrian access door was half glass, half plywood panel. So I replaced that with a standard solid wood exterior door. It's 40mm thick and now has three 4" heavy gauge stainless steel hinges and two 5-lever mortice locks. Ref the locks, if you buy them both from a locksmith, they will ensure that both locks use the same key.
The window in the garage has one big side window opening and one small top opening. Both are now bolted shut.

The bike is secured with a Kryptonite New York Noose 1.2m long, Kryptonite key lock and a Kryptonite ground anchor. All Gold standard. In addition, I have a Kryptonite braided steel cable and a random high security combo lock for the fork. My insurance broker was very impressed and asked to keep the photo.

The pic was taken before I started looping the cable through the fork. The towel is to protect the shock stanchion.
Kryptonite.jpg

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I was thinking of hanging the bike on a rack to get it off the ground. I don't know if there are any advantages or disadvantages to that.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
On an ebike remove the battery, and store it elsewhere. Also if possible remove the front wheel and store that elsewhere too.

That makes it impossible for thieves to ride away on the bike, they will have to carry it.

lt only takes a minute to refit a battery or front wheel.

Also, Make sure your bikes are insured to the replacement value so in the unlikely event they do get stolen, you will get the replacement cost.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Lots of great ideas. The problem is it seems to get to a point that you are so inconvenienced it becomes a chore. I think there needs to be a balance between security and convenience. Removing the battery and the wheel is unfortunately a step too far in that regard especially if I can "chain" them into the lock. If you are not careful it would be easy to spend more on securing the bike than the bike cost :)

Removing and replacing my battery can be quite difficult so I prefer to leave in on the bike.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
To remove the battery on my bike takes around ten seconds but other bikes may be different.
I guess it depends on how worried you are about it. A good lock will deter all but the most determined thief.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
My previous bike was easy but this one takes a bit of effort and getting it back in can be problematical. I get nervous about disturbing the cable looms so I leave it in. Taking the front wheel off is not an issue, I have to do this to get the bike in the car but storing it in the house is impractical and would not make me very popular.

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
Mindfulness! You can just slow down the thief. there are a lot of videos where they show how easy is open the best lock system. Check yours
then...let them steal the bike if you have an insurance...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles