Bike racks

Wilkofire

Jul 11, 2018
Chichester
Evening all,
Just bought my first e MTB. Bought a moustache samedi race 8. Really happy with it! Anyone else on here got one?
Anyways was wondering if anyone on here uses a roof bike rack with a emtb? I was using one for my normal bike ( Thule proride) but it doesn't fit the new ride
I was thinking of getting there new 599 upright one. Only problem is there max weight is 20 kg. Bike weighs about 21 kg. Think I'm pushing it??
Any suggestions welcome?
Cheers tom

Ajwuk

Aug 25, 2018
Uk
I have a moustache race 8 and a hybrid saloon that can’t have a tow bar fitted! I bought the Thule upride, when removing the battery the weight is so close to the limit, given the safety factor these things must be engineered to, I am more than happy that it’s safe and sound. My only tip is you may need to inflate your front tyre more than usual just for transport, when securing mine with the usual 20psi, the bike seemed to ‘settle’ more than I was comfortable with. I now take a track pump with me and deflate / reinflate tyres.
EB250DD0-1BA7-4B93-B1E3-5DD6F72CE5F9.jpeg

Evo Wan Kenevo

Jul 29, 2018
North Manchester
Just in case others read this and are looking at options- I have had the same dilemma recently.

I already have a Saris Bones 2 bike carrier that fits my car, but unlike my previous bike, my Kenevo obstructs the number plate and lights.

Because my company car is a new model and does not have a towbar, I was baffled what to do in terms of transporting my bike. Halfords had no roof bars to fit, so my only roof bar option was expensive OEM parts for £350 and then a thule system or similar.

I was left with options in the £500 plus range and given that my company car changes often, I didn't want to fit a towbar or get a car specific rack.

Then I saw the Rockbros rooftop car mount. It's a similar system to the Seasucker, but less than half of the price. I mount the rear wheel sucker on the boot and the front fork mount on the roof; that way I don't have to lift the bike as high to install it.

You've got to be careful of where you place it on the roof due to panel flex, but I quickly worked out the optimum placement for mine. The 2 bike model is about £130 and plenty strong enough to hold a couple of E-bikes.

I've done quite a few 30 miles plus motorway trips with it now and it's solid. My only note of caution is to watch that you don't scratch the car whilst putting the bike on the roof (even without the battery it's heavy!).

You can leave it installed on the car when not carrying bikes, just check the suckers are fully 'pumped' before the journey and away you go.

Can't recommend it enough.

Tunny

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
May 29, 2018
Birmingham
Tow bar racks are the way to go unless you have a big car. I would've had one for my A4 Avant but when it died i bought a Zafira purposely because it was big enough to fit my bike inside without much fuss. I went down the v-dub route and made a bike board with through axle mount.

Even got enough room for the wifes ebike and my sons bike and trailer ??
20180801_184027.jpg
20180825_155220.jpg

Osprey

Aug 11, 2018
South Wales
Tow bar all day long! I use the Atera Strada DL4 on my Sportage and it’s brilliant. Stable and safe with rubber coated steel bands to secure our toys!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Alas in the UK you cant buy a double cab pick up with a long enough bed to do that

Knobby

Patreon
Jun 13, 2018
Hampshire, UK
Here's my setup..

I use a Thule 933 XT Easyfold 2 and a Thule 982 bike adapter. The ebikes and fuss sus bikes seem to have limited areas to fix to but the Thule 982 fixes this.

The Thule 933 XT easyfold is great, very solid, goes onto the tow bar quickly and the bikes feel very secure.

I got mine from this Ebay seller, he seems to sell damaged boxed/returns so got a decent deal.. His after sale service was excellent also. He sent me a different length arm free of charge as I couldn't get my Cube AT to fit right with the standard arms.

Wheels n Bits Towbar Cycle Carrier Tow Bar Mounted Bike Rack Holds Up to 3 Bikes 7436111184156 | eBay

fullsizeoutput_5199.jpeg

Ajwuk

Aug 25, 2018
Uk
I decided to reduce the loading in the rack pivot point by stamping the bars to the rack in order to reduce sway.

If you can’t fit a towbar to your car, this works.
C6B89530-C78C-48EF-AA3A-BEE496AAA099.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles