Bike computer or mobile phone

OrangePower

Jul 12, 2022
Slovenia
Hello. I am in a dilemma what to buy. What do you use for a bike computer? Mobile phone or bike computer?

The mobile phone is bigger and I don't know how long the battery would last for 7 hours of driving. Bike computers are smaller and more expensive - at least €400. I am thinking of buying a cheaper version of the mobile phone with the best possible battery, maybe even used one only for this purpose. I am a new owner of a kenevo 2021 and the specialized app seems fine, but I could also go for the blevo. Till now I used SUUNTO 9 watch for bike.

RichT

I use an Edge 530 but also a smart phone mount. The phone is great for the Spec Ride app, bigger screen for viewing the map or data screens, and also a great (large, obvious) display for Varia radar when my ride takes me out on the street. And of course I can call or text as necessary, but generally don’t. I could do without the Edge for the most part, but I like having real GPS because I often ride in areas with little or no cell service. So….both.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
I use a cheap android phone BV6000 running BLevo. I'm an iPhone user but it was only about $100 back when I got it, but it's rugged, has a barometer, and runs all day with the screen on bright enough to see

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
I started out with my regular phone (iPhone) and a quad lock mount. It’s remarkably stable. I top off my phone battery in my car going to and coming back from the trail. Also have a small portable battery charger with me if needed.

So far I haven’t found the need to buy a separate bike computer.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I started out with my regular phone (iPhone) and a quad lock mount. It’s remarkably stable. I top off my phone battery in my car going to and coming back from the trail. Also have a small portable battery charger with me if needed.

So far I haven’t found the need to buy a separate bike computer.
With my Android phone screen permanently on and brightness at max I get over 4 hours use before the battery dies. Also have a portable charger if needed.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
Garmin computers are way better than phone (smaller, harder to lose etc.)
new Edge 530 (this is current model) should be around 250e or used one even cheaper.
In few months there should be new model released (540? 530 plus?), definitely you will find edge 530 used cheaper.
or used previous model Edge 520 plus

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Garmin computers are way better than phone (smaller, harder to lose etc.)
new Edge 530 (this is current model) should be around 250e or used one even cheaper.
In few months there should be new model released (540? 530 plus?), definitely you will find edge 530 used cheaper.
or used previous model Edge 520 plus
I think Garmin 530 has a 2.6" screen whereas my Android phone (Samsung A53 5g) has a 6.5" AMOLED screen. It has Ordnance Survey 1:25k UK mapping.

As it happens I also have a Garmin Montana 600 that I no longer use because the 6.5" AMOLED screen is so much easier to use

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
i don't know anyone riding MTB with a phone on handlebar....
and especially I woudln't expect that on Kenevo ...

RichT

i don't know anyone riding MTB with a phone on handlebar....
and especially I woudln't expect that on Kenevo ...
It probably wouldn't survive a serious ride on a real mtb and running challenging signle track trails you wouldnt need it anyway. Nice for the streets and long rides on dirt roads, but thats not really the environment for a Kenevo. Works fine on my Tero but I also changed from the 36 to a 44T chainring and had assist bumped up to 28mph. Different kind of riding.

Last edited:

RichT

Just a little update on this. Ive been underusing my Garmin Edge 530 by choice, mostly because I didn’t get it for the majority of the bike computer functions, but rather just for gps for those times Im out of cell range and can’t use google maps. Instead of the bike computer functions on the Edge, Ive been using my phone because I like the ride analysis on the Specialized Ride app.

Well, I recently discovered that the 530 captures all the same data (if you use it right), reports it through the Garmin Connect app as a very useful and similar ride analysis adjunct, AND reports all the data to the Ride app somehow, so that I can get the same ride analysis on the Ride app that I used to get but without using a phone on the bike.

The only thing missing is the big display, and like training wheels, I’ve apparently outgrown that because I dont miss it and prefer a cleaner, less cluttered cockpit. Its also nice to no longer risk damaging my phone. The Edge 530 costs around $270. It also pairs with my Varia and displays approaching vehicle info, and with my Garmin watch so it displays and records heart rate. So the phone either stays home, or goes in a bag, but it has been vanquished from my cockpit.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
... The only thing missing is the big display, and like training wheels, I’ve apparently outgrown that ... the phone either stays home, or goes in a bag, but it has been vanquished from my cockpit.
Well I'd better put my training wheels back on because I haven't outgrown using a 6.5" screen combined with OS 1:25k mapping for GPS navigation.

As for "vanquishing" my phone, that's a delicious malapropism that I haven't heard before. :LOL:

Edit: GPS

Last edited:

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Google maps is hopeless compared to proper navigation apps. Get trailforks/komoot/outdooractive downloaded. You download the maps so no phone signal needed.

RichT

Well I'd better put my training wheels back on because I haven't outgrown using a 6.5" screen combined with OS 1:25k mapping for GPS navigation.

As for "vanquishing" my phone, that's a delicious malapropism that I haven't heard before. :LOL:

Edit: GPS
I thought about that but decided to use it anyway - I liked it too, and frankly I didn’t think anyone would notice. As an aside, you might enjoy http://www.Cafépédant.net

As for the phone, as I’ve said it can be useful, but I‘ve found it unnecessary for the type of riding I’m doing. If I were concerned about getting lost I‘d probably dig it out.

Bummers, I’ll check out komoot and outdooractive. Thanks! I have Trailforks, Strava, and Alltrails but so far haven’t found the need to have any of them on my handlebars. Hopefully in my travels they will reveal some interesting trails.

Last edited:

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Google maps is hopeless compared to proper navigation apps. Get trailforks/komoot/outdooractive downloaded. You download the maps so no phone signal needed.
Oh I agree, Google Maps isn't much good for off-road stuff but it's enough to use it to 'get my bearings' when riding in forests/open spaces etc. I have tried Trailforks and MapMyRide but both just seemed power hungry and clogged my phone up. I deleted both in the end. App/device choice really comes down to what type of terrain the rider is predominantly doing I think. I have been very tempted to get a Garmin 530 but I know I just wouldn't use it enough - I know most of my off-road routes already and for the bits that I don't, Google digs me out. For those that change up their rides every week and are constantly out in the sticks a dedicated device like a Garmin would make sense.

ThomasL

Feb 13, 2023
Barcelona
I am also in this dilemma. Just got my first eMTB (and first MTB) and have so far run a Quadlock + iPhone with Komoot on my hybrid bike for basic navigation. Komoot just runs really great, but the battery drains faily fast.

With the 2018 Turbo Levo that I just bought I plan to do some real mountain fire roads, easier trails, bit cross country in the woods style riding. And instead of bringing a big battery pack to charge the phone, I've starting looking at computers to upload the Komoot route and also have the eMTB battery/motor mode selection visible. So basic GPS, maps with turn indicator, easy Komoot integration, bike info and thats about it.

Watching tons of youtubes until I found this forum, it sounds like a 2nd hand Garmin 520 or a 2nd hand Wahoo would be the best option while also saving a bit of money. If I really am stuck somewhere, I can always take out the phone and do some replanning or such while out there.

(First post - yay!)

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I use my Garmin 530 - 95% of the time and only my phone when I'm on a genuinely complex trail network. I rarely look down at either while riding, so the Garmin is perfect for my tracking and big-turn navigation.

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
In the past, I have used my iPhone on a Quadlock mount and a subscription to OS maps in the Uk. You can plan routes on the OS maps website or the app and it all syncs with the app on the phone. 1:25k maps of the route can be downloaded to phone, so no need for Wi-Fi/mobile reception when riding. All in all, it’s a great way to navigate, however, I recently bought a Garmin 1030 Plus, as Chain Reaction had it on sale for almost half price.

What I like about the Garmin is the eBike fields, which I have setup to display cadence, battery % etc. I also have a HRM field, for when I can be bothered wearing it. Other fields such as altitude, total ascent and distance remaining are also nice to have. Turn by turn navigation is also good, as the device beeps when there is an upcoming turn. Finally, it all syncs well with Strava too, so overall I am pretty pleased with the Garmin and would certainly recommend one.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ve had a Garmin Edge 800 series on my handlebars for about 12 years now. I’ve been through the whole range - 800, 810, 820, currently on an 830… and looking forward to upgrading to an 840 in the next few months hopefully!!

Nothing wrong with any of them - I just like buying new toys, and the old ones still sell on eBay for a decent price.

Personally, I find the 830 much easier to use than the 530 due to the touch screen… and the size of the 830 much neater then the 1030.
I’ve had lots of big crashes over the years, and the Garmin has never suffered anything other than scratches.

I often download routes from Trailforks using the Garmin integration and follow the turn by turn navigation to guide me where I’m going. Very handy for places I’ve never been before.

Battery wise, I get about 3 or 4 long rides out of it between charges (3 or 4 hours each), so I reckon I must get about 15 hours+ out of it.

I also use it on my KickR in winter, and it lets me simulate rides I’ve done outdoors.

All my rides are logged in the Garmin Connect app (along with all my rounds of golf - from my Garmin Approach Watch!).

I also have the Garmin Dual HRM to go with it.

The couple of times I’ve left the house without it, I feel there is part of my bike missing!!

RichT

I’ve had a Garmin Edge 800 series on my handlebars for about 12 years now. I’ve been through the whole range - 800, 810, 820, currently on an 830… and looking forward to upgrading to an 840 in the next few months hopefully!!

Nothing wrong with any of them - I just like buying new toys, and the old ones still sell on eBay for a decent price.

Personally, I find the 830 much easier to use than the 530 due to the touch screen… and the size of the 830 much neater then the 1030.
I’ve had lots of big crashes over the years, and the Garmin has never suffered anything other than scratches.

I often download routes from Trailforks using the Garmin integration and follow the turn by turn navigation to guide me where I’m going. Very handy for places I’ve never been before.

Battery wise, I get about 3 or 4 long rides out of it between charges (3 or 4 hours each), so I reckon I must get about 15 hours+ out of it.

I also use it on my KickR in winter, and it lets me simulate rides I’ve done outdoors.

All my rides are logged in the Garmin Connect app (along with all my rounds of golf - from my Garmin Approach Watch!).

I also have the Garmin Dual HRM to go with it.

The couple of times I’ve left the house without it, I feel there is part of my bike missing!!
I think the 830 will be my next upgrade. The 530 works just fine, but the buttons are small and hard to get to while riding. Touch screen would make a difference. I even find myself trying to manipulate the 530 by the screen sometimes. Good to hear your thoughts on the 830. I’m still leaving the phone either at home or in a bag. Don’t need it on the handle bars and I like riding with a cleaner cockpit. And all my routes magically appear on Ride as well as Connect anyway.

jjacks85

Apr 5, 2024
Cracow, Poland
Same dilemma here. I hoped that Mastermind TCU will be able to record the ride on its own and sync to Mission Control / Spec app AFTER the ride. I learned the hard way that the ride recording relies on permanent connection with the app.
So far was not very impressed with Spec app recording reliability - it seems to be killed by Android after a longer while while it's in background / the screen is off.
Have to try yet whether Mission Control suffers from that problem too.

The other options might be Garmin Watch / computer paired via ant+, but then only some of the sensors are exported (no leg power output AFAIK)

Yet another option might be BLEvo app, however that does not work with Mastermind without Levociraptor module. And there is no gurantee BLevo won't shut down in the background as well.
I keep my phone in the pocket with screen off to save the battery while riding the Levo.
I used to carry a top tube bag with power bank and phone on my other bike. That way i could keep the screen all the time without worrying about battery life.
With the Levo however, Mastermind display occupies that space so that's not really an option.

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
I´ve used a Garmin Edge 820 for my "normal" bike for years.
Now with my E-bike´s EP801 I started using an old Samsung smartphone I had lying around.
Works like a charm and the battery outlasts the e-bike battery.

Use a headset cap garmin mount and a garmin mount with adhesive on the back of the phone.

IMG_20240405_111059.jpg

jjacks85

Apr 5, 2024
Cracow, Poland
I´ve used a Garmin Edge 820 for my "normal" bike for years.
Now with my E-bike´s EP801 I started using an old Samsung smartphone I had lying around.
Works like a charm and the battery outlasts the e-bike battery.

Use a headset cap garmin mount and a garmin mount with adhesive on the back of the phone.

View attachment 137582
IMO it's unlikely that smartphone's battery will last 6h+ trips with GPS and display on. One thing i consider is stackable SPConnect mount with gopro adapter at the bottom. I could 3d print a holder for a smallish power bank to make sure there is enough juice to power the smartphone for the entire day

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles