• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Best trail map app

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Never ridden using any sort of mapping before, but finding the e-bike is enabling me to explore far more than previously - whats the best app with maps/routes to follow?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I use the OS Maps app on iPhone/ipad. Don't use it for directions, just figuring out where I am/want to be. OS mapping is free if you have a data connection, and you can download maps you've paid for on paper onto the app for offline viewing.

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
I use OS maps loaded on an sd card in a garmin
I got the whole of Britain plus the Swiss and French alps for about £25
Try ' talkytoaster' he's very helpful. Will do any custom package you choose. Can send a file for self load . Or will supply a card preloaded to pop in a device.
Maps are very detailed .
Great product and service

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Tried Trailforks this morning, and was ok except for only one route in my area. Will give OS a shot too, looks useful.

JayB

Apr 7, 2018
South Carolina, USA
Try looking at AllTrails app. I’ve been using it in a late model iPhone in a Quad Lock case. The app is meant for all categories of trails from hiking to mountain biking with filters for search. I’m in the US but I checked and there seems to be many entries in Europe & UK & others. Free to use, but if you want to download the trail map to allow you to follow your trail without cell signal (using the GPS on the phone) you have to pay a small/reasonable yearly charge.

Let me know your comments and trail availability outside of the US.

Jay

AndyActual

May 24, 2018
UK
I use ‘Runtastic Mountain Bike GPS’, it uses the OpenCycleMap which shows bike trails. It is a shame iOS Strava doesn’t use OpenCycleMap, so is useless for off road riding.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I tried the free version of Cyclemeter , it’s like being in google earth . All dependant on batteries and mobile phones and learning how to use the software which Iam not very good at So I just use a map generally or the map on ViewRanger

akkypac

Patreon
Jun 2, 2018
East Surrey
I used Komoot recently with turn-by-turn navigation and it took me down some interesting off-road bridleways. Worked fine with quadlock mount but apps do quickly eat into the phone battery. Best to carry a USB charger packed near mount. Or consider a Wahoo or Garmin to save your phone from the hard knocks!

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
I use OS MapFinder for my local area rides, and HKF-Maps for when in the Alps. HKF mountain bike/walking maps are brilliant. :)

Dawnrazor

Patreon
Jun 11, 2018
Somerset
I do a lot of 'uncharted' routes by stitching bridleways and byways together and I use Viewranger. It is very acurrate, but make sure you download the maps for the area you are cycling before you go.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles