Best Tow ball bike carrier

Bagofsand

Sep 12, 2020
East Yorkshire
Hi, Looking for recommendations for a tow ball bike carrier for two EMTB. It will be on a pickup so no problem with nose weight. All opinions welcomed.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Please read this thread first. Search is your friend

kayakdave

Sep 29, 2020
Santa Barbara, CA.
I have the REESE EXPLORE steel hitch mount bike rack. It holds one or two bicycles. The platform design holds bikes in the upright position. The support tube with adjustable padded hooks support bikes by the frame. Versatile design fits 1 1/4 In. and 2 In. receivers Weight capacity is 90 lbs. I usually take the batteries out of my bikes for transport but even with them it I have had no issues transporting my Bulls E-Stream and my wife's Liv Intrigue. Purchased it for $150.00 US and am quite happy with it.

1604005831703.png

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
I have just bought and put together the buzz rack e hornet. Looks good. Not put it onto the car yet. Planning to put it on and take my boy out on the weekend. Will post a pic of it on with the bikes on

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ve got the Buzz Escorpion for a single bike (they do a 2 bike version). It was relatively cheap, and is pretty solid. Folds up quite neat, and keeps the bike on securely.
9AB67528-10CD-459D-8BEC-800C91B10728.jpeg

I also have an Atura Strada DL, which takes 3 bikes... with an optional adaptor for a 4th. A much more expensive rack, but not sure it’s significantly better. Definitely feels like it’s made out of better quality material and is more premium - but the Buzz one does just as good a job and probably feels more stable. Maybe that’s cause it’s just for a single bike though?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Beware of metal arms, they are a royal bitch to your bikes paintwork if your carrying multiple bikes so be wary of Thule products like the one I own!!! Had I known I'd have looked at better options

Bagofsand

Sep 12, 2020
East Yorkshire
Beware of metal arms, they are a royal bitch to your bikes paintwork if your carrying multiple bikes so be wary of Thule products like the one I own!!! Had I known I'd have looked at better options

What problems has the arms caused? was almost sold on the THULE 938 VELOSPACE XT 2

Bagofsand

Sep 12, 2020
East Yorkshire
I’ve got the Buzz Escorpion for a single bike (they do a 2 bike version). It was relatively cheap, and is pretty solid. Folds up quite neat, and keeps the bike on securely.
View attachment 43269

I also have an Atura Strada DL, which takes 3 bikes... with an optional adaptor for a 4th. A much more expensive rack, but not sure it’s significantly better. Definitely feels like it’s made out of better quality material and is more premium - but the Buzz one does just as good a job and probably feels more stable. Maybe that’s cause it’s just for a single bike though?

I hadn't come across one of these in my Google searching. Really impressed with the whole thing and as i only need a two bike set up this is spot on.(Well the 2 bike version is)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What problems has the arms caused? was almost sold on the THULE 938 VELOSPACE XT 2
That is the one I have. Brilliant bit of kit. If you buy from the Halfords website, opt for click and collect; I got 10% off when I went to collect it. It wasn't advertised on the website, it just happened at the till. :)

I wish they had spent 50p more on the locks, but they work.

I use some old foam pipe insulation in the jaws because I have a carbon framed bike.

VERY IMPORTANT!
Do not rely on the jaws that grab the frame to stay grabbed. Because the jaws are parallel and my frame is not, the jaws may slide down towards narrower parts of the frame and the bike may pivot out and onto the road!!!! (Note:This alarming event may be aided and abetted by my use of foam pipe insulation!) So now, I always use a rubber-covered spring-cored flexible strap in a figure of 8 pattern around the jaw and frame. It gives peace of mind. A simple buckle strap would achieve the same. Some on here use Gorilla straps.

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
The buzz rack is great. My first towbar rack. Much easier than lifting bikes onto the roof. My ebike not come yet so still on my spectral. Just easier and safer on the back

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Here in New Zealand the two prong type bike rack is very popular (not quite universal, but pretty close).

Link to an example below:

Bagofsand

Sep 12, 2020
East Yorkshire
Fitted the rack yesterday to go and collect our new bikes. This is some piece of kit easy to assemble and fit, locks on really securely. Much more secure than my old thule rack.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles