Levo Gen 3 Best strongest bike chain recommendation

Jul 30, 2022
Levo2022
My original chain snapped, I am
After a stronger tougher chain for my sram 12 speed turbo levo 2022, I have no idea what I am looking at so plz can you give me some recommendation.
Not fussed on the cost as long as it’s descent chain.
Long story short gears always been a pain on this bike and the shop that I purchased it from has no idea how to set the gears up.
Bike shop at my local bike park said gears are set now but ideally I will need a new chain and preferably a descent strong chain….

mcollins188

Nov 13, 2022
Salinas, CA
On my 2021 Turbo Levo I opted to go with a Shimano 12-speed XTR chain. It has a special coating which is supposed to make it super strong and durable. Found one on Amazon last week with 126 links for $58 dlvd.
However, I also have a Shimano XT cassette and a RaceFace 34t Shimano Hyperglide chainring so the gears and chain all work best together.
Using a GX AXS derailleur with Ceramic Speed pulley wheels.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
12-speed bikes have the problem of a long and low mech arm that snags on shrubbery, rocks and logs. Even if it looks OK, it may be bent or twisted enough to be causing shifting problems. Or it may be the mech hanger that is a bit bent. Are the bolts that secure the hanger to the frame and the mech to the hanger tight enough?

For years, I prided myself on being able to set up my gears without too much trouble. Then I got a bike with 12-speed. Very soon, no matter what I did, it didn't work. The shifting was almost right, but not perfect. Fully exasperated I took the bike to the LBS. He used a mech hanger alignment tool to solve my problems and it didn't take long because he only charged me £10. After the third such charge, I bought my own tool. There are cheaper ones, but this ParkTool one is excellent.

Jul 30, 2022
Levo2022
12-speed bikes have the problem of a long and low mech arm that snags on shrubbery, rocks and logs. Even if it looks OK, it may be bent or twisted enough to be causing shifting problems. Or it may be the mech hanger that is a bit bent. Are the bolts that secure the hanger to the frame and the mech to the hanger tight enough?

For years, I prided myself on being able to set up my gears without too much trouble. Then I got a bike with 12-speed. Very soon, no matter what I did, it didn't work. The shifting was almost right, but not perfect. Fully exasperated I took the bike to the LBS. He used a mech hanger alignment tool to solve my problems and it didn't take long because he only charged me £10. After the third such charge, I bought my own tool. There are cheaper ones, but this ParkTool one is excellent.

Yes the shop did use a tool very much like this when I 1st took it back and he said that he’s made the alignment more aggressive but still I get the same problem, end of jumpy flow trail I don’t change gear go and pedal up and it jumps a gear all by itself.
My local bike park shop tighten the gear cable as he said they stretch over time and he also aligned the mech again by eye as well as fixing my chain quickly as it done it while i pedal off going down a slope heading into a gap jump….
I don’t ride gnarly stuff where I live so the bike only been on flow jumpy table step ups and step down lines as well as flows gap lines, I inspect this bike more or less after every ride and I know the mech not been caught up on anything and if it did I would get it checked out asap.
Had a big ride Sunday just gone must of done at least 500 plus jumps of all sorts and ridden only 20 miles all day and the gearing has been fine, but now with 2 quick links in the chain I just been advised to get a new chain and replace…

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
----------------
My local bike park shop tighten the gear cable as he said they stretch over time
-----------------------------
but now with 2 quick links in the chain I just been advised to get a new chain and replace…
The gear cable does not stretch over time. What happens is that the pierced caps at the end of the outer gear cable get more bedded on to the cable and more bedded in to the shifter and the mech. This makes the outer cable + caps shorter overall, which has the same effect as a longer inner cable. The answer is better fitting in the first place! I add a drop of oil into the end cap before threading onto the inner wire and then tapping it onto the outer gear cable with a pair of slightly open pliers. The end caps fit quite loosely into the shifter and mech so no special procedure is required there, apart from a firm push.
In days of old, when outer gear cables used to be split into many parts, there were loads of end caps and most of them were fed into alloy stubs on the bike frame. The sheer number of them meant they had a bigger impact and the myth of "cable stretch" was born.

The times are many and for long periods when I had more than one quick link on a chain. Don't be concerned about them. I also use them more than once, but when the chain is worn out, so are the quick links. But unlike the chain do not discard them, instead put a few in your backpack. They will come in handy to give away to other riders, stuck by the side of the trail, who desperately need a quicklink. They will not care that the quicklink is pre-loved, they will just be grateful to find a knight in shining armour such as you! :)

Jul 30, 2022
Levo2022
The gear cable does not stretch over time. What happens is that the pierced caps at the end of the outer gear cable get more bedded on to the cable and more bedded in to the shifter and the mech. This makes the outer cable + caps shorter overall, which has the same effect as a longer inner cable. The answer is better fitting in the first place! I add a drop of oil into the end cap before threading onto the inner wire and then tapping it onto the outer gear cable with a pair of slightly open pliers. The end caps fit quite loosely into the shifter and mech so no special procedure is required there, apart from a firm push.
In days of old, when outer gear cables used to be split into many parts, there were loads of end caps and most of them were fed into alloy stubs on the bike frame. The sheer number of them meant they had a bigger impact and the myth of "cable stretch" was born.

The times are many and for long periods when I had more than one quick link on a chain. Don't be concerned about them. I also use them more than once, but when the chain is worn out, so are the quick links. But unlike the chain do not discard them, instead put a few in your backpack. They will come in handy to give away to other riders, stuck by the side of the trail, who desperately need a quicklink. They will not care that the quicklink is pre-loved, they will just be grateful to find a knight in shining armour such as you! :)
Had XT SLX and XTR
XTR won hands down
Thank you for taking the time and going into detail, I have actually screenshot your reply to my thread so i can read it more than once, very informative and question answered that I did not even think of. Thank you

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
When I was at a shimano center, the technician there recommended chains from bmc for e-bikes as they should be a little thicker and last the longest miles.

I have not tried chains from bmc myself, but I have used Shimano CN-E8000 chains and have been very satisfied.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I bought my 2022 Trek FS9 Powerfly in the equipped version which came with all upgraded components.
The chain is a Shimano Ultegra/XT M8100, 12 speed. I see it online $46 plus shipping.

I still tend to think any chain Trek uses on their EMTB's is not any different from the chains they use on their analog versions.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
2.5k miles out of my XO1 chain. I used to get around 500 before the cheap ones were knackered. So in the long run it's cheaper and less hassle plus better shifting.
What I should have also said is that my XO1 chain is still on the bike and working very well on a slx 12s cassette. I also hardly ever clean it and have only put oil on about 4 times. It does get a spray with gt85 on every outing but that's all.
I believe the xtr chains are also in the same league.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Good to see the X01 matches it at almost half the price 👍
I'm actually running 11 speed chain and I don't think there is X01 for 11sp, otherwise I would try it as it looks just as good. I'm running 10sp cassette because I don't need much range for where I ride, plus love the short cage zee mech.

drcoopster

Jun 8, 2022
US
I snapped a 12-speed XX1 chain on my acoustic bike this week while going up a punchy climb. YMMV

1543305619.jpg

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
At about 700 miles the LBS said my stock chain on the TL Comp Alloy was near the end so I purchased the X01

Last edited:

veryoldfart

Oct 1, 2020
Suffolk
Little consolation to most of you on here, but when I specced my new 2022 levo, I deliberately chose to stick to Shimano 11 speed. Use XT cassettes and the previously mentioned Shimano CN-E8000 e-bike 11 speed chain. Good life and great shifting.
Sometimes less is more.

Bacalao

Oct 24, 2019
SoCal
Connex chain. No problems on my Levo. Bonus the link allows me to easily take the chain off for cleaning. I’m a proponent of waxing so easy on/off is essential.

I’ve used them for years on all my bikes. Road, fixie and Amish mtb.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
After a stronger tougher chain for my sram 12 speed turbo levo 2022, I have no idea what I am looking at so plz can you give me some recommendation.
Long story short gears always been a pain on this bike and the shop that I purchased it from has no idea how to set the gears up.
Bike shop at my local bike park said gears are set now but ideally I will need a new chain and preferably a descent strong chain….
Easy to break a chain no matter how strong they are . Wrong gear , too much oomph done loads in my time . Not so bad now

MBj1703

Jul 15, 2021
Germany, near Munich
When I was at a shimano center, the technician there recommended chains from bmc for e-bikes as they should be a little thicker and last the longest miles.

I have not tried chains from bmc myself, but I have used Shimano CN-E8000 chains and have been very satisfied.
BMC?? You mean KMC.

They are not pretty good, only expensive.
I tried mostly all brands and now I'm on the cheap Deore 6 Series Chain from Shimano.
Just make sure to change them frequently. Best is three sets and rotate them.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Not sure how long people expect a chain to last but some of the expectations on here are totally ridiculous . Some folks chains are lasting more than the motor ? . Definitely a lot of OCD with regards to cleaning and maintenance. Some folk are spending more time on those than they are riding . Reminds me on Harley Davidson riders , one hour ride three polishing . Remember folks it's Saturday night .

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
My OEM SRAM X01 snapped, I repaired on trail and it’s been good since, must have been a fluke because it was a low torque situation. I also have a spare chain that is only ebike one I know of… KMC e-chain, which seems to have good reputation.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
BMC?? You mean KMC.

They are not pretty good, only expensive.
I tried mostly all brands and now I'm on the cheap Deore 6 Series Chain from Shimano.
Just make sure to change them frequently. Best is three sets and rotate them.

Yes i mean kmc , my phone autocorrected😃.
Yes i agree with you, i allso buy cheaper chains and change moore often.

MBj1703

Jul 15, 2021
Germany, near Munich
My OEM SRAM X01 snapped, I repaired on trail and it’s been good since, must have been a fluke because it was a low torque situation. I also have a spare chain that is only ebike one I know of… KMC e-chain, which seems to have good reputation.
The eKMC is just marketing…which is paid by you ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles