best place to buy rockshox upgrades

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
im looking to upgrade the rockshox revelations i have on my Levo comp... just wondered where the best place to get the CHARGER2 RCT3 upgrade is... also, being a 2019 bike do i need to upgrade the air spring kit?

thanks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Best? From a being decentto local business' standpoint. Your LBS.
Cheapest is another matter entirely.
You don't *need* a new air spring. You might *want* one though

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
Best? From a being decentto local business' standpoint. Your LBS.
Cheapest is another matter entirely.
You don't *need* a new air spring. You might *want* one though

Best as in most reliable and reputable.... I don’t want to buy twice...

The air spring is my point, why would I want one. Isn’t the one I have the same?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What?
It's the exact same product no matter where you choose to buy it from.

The air spring is my point, why would I want one. Isn’t the one I have the same?
assuming you mean air shaft. The latest 2020/21 version is probably not exactly the same. No. Although your 2018/19 OEM air shaft will still do a similar job to a newer version.
What you really need to be looking at is WHAT and WHY you are looking to "upgrade" anything internally. Then make up your own mind as to what best suits your requirements.

Blinkie

Jan 11, 2020
aberdeen
Air shaft is an air shaft, not sure why you'd need to buy 2. Stick your serial no into the trail head app RockShox Setup Guide | SRAM

I buy from my local supplier Debonair C1 Air Spring Upgrade Lyrik/Yari (2016 onwards): Rock Shox: Frontend: 20TwentyStore

You don't it need then. Like many bike purchases. There is want and need. Only you can decide which it is :)

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
No, I’m not going to buy two, the reason I said that is, there are so many not nice people on the internet don’t want to buy one, not get it or the wrong item turns up and have to buy it again somewhere else.....with regards to the air shaft kit, I’m asking...... is it the same as the one fitted in my forks or not?

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
What you really need to be looking at is WHAT and WHY you are looking to "upgrade" anything internally. Then make up your own mind as to what best suits your requirements.
I’m looking to upgrade because I’m not happy with my forks... they just don’t work well enough. And before you say they just need setting up, I’ve done that, loads of time, I just can’t get them to work properly. I want to put the upgraded parts in because I can’t afford new forks and want the best I can get out of the ones I have....

Blinking, why the rct3 and not rc.... you tell me why I should consider the rc version?

Thanks

Blinkie

Jan 11, 2020
aberdeen
Have the forks been serviced at all? inc bladder.

All depends what's important to you, differences are

RCT3 Charger 2.1 RCT3 damper featuring 3-position compression adjust (open/pedal/firm) with low speed compression adjust (no HSC adjust) Cheaper

RC Charger 2.1 RC2 damper featuring independent high and low speed compression adjust. More expensive

Its want and need again

Charger 2.1 upgrade - RCT3 or RC2? | Singletrack Magazine Forum

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
I need my forks to actually work. Either will work for me I don’t race, or do hard down hill type stuff. Just fed up with wrist pain and numb hands on a normal ride in the woods... I would prefer making them the best I can so would depend on how much more expensive the parts are...

Blinkie

Jan 11, 2020
aberdeen
A full service would be the cheapest option if you've not had that done that recently.

There are some good deals on 2020 Lyriks just now. Only you can decide if you spend money on service and upgrades. Or bite the bullet and buy a 2020 lyrik or pike fork and sell old fork on to recoup some money.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
I’ve not done a lot of miles,, under 200.... you really think it needs servicing already?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Seeing as you still haven't really answered the question.
I'll have to assume you either don't know what it is you specifically want to improve, can't put it into words well, or simply can't be bothered.
It may possibly be a waste of money upgrading internals if it's the first reason and a waste of others time answering if the last.

TBH most folk wouldn't really be suffering badly from hand/wrist pain and numbness on normal rides in the woods on a completely rigid fork. Are you sure it's the fork?

a Lyrik is kinda overkill for a normal ride in the woods

Blinkie

Jan 11, 2020
aberdeen
I’ve not done a lot of miles,, under 200.... you really think it needs servicing already?

Lots you're not telling us here, trying to second guess you isn't helping.

I always do a lower service on any new RS fork, they have been known to to skimp on oil previously. I'd do that 1st before I spend a wad of cash up upgrades on a not great fork.

If it was me I'd save my cash for a newer fork rather than trying to upgrade a (no offence to you) a not great fork.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
Seeing as you still haven't really answered the question.
I'll have to assume you either don't know what it is you specifically want to improve, can't put it into words well, or simply can't be bothered.
It may possibly be a waste of money upgrading internals if it's the first reason and a waste of others time answering if the last.

TBH most folk wouldn't really be suffering badly from hand/wrist pain and numbness on normal rides in the woods on a completely rigid fork. Are you sure it's the fork?

a Lyrik is kinda overkill for a normal ride in the woods

I did answer... you obviously didn’t read it right again.

The question I’m asking is, best place to get the parts I want... anything other than that please keep it to yourself. I find you rude and unhelpful. Please don’t reply again. Thank you

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
Lots you're not telling us here, trying to second guess you isn't helping.

I always do a lower service on any new RS fork, they have been known to to skimp on oil previously. I'd do that 1st before I spend a wad of cash up upgrades on a not great fork.

If it was me I'd save my cash for a newer fork rather than trying to upgrade a (no offence to you) a not great fork.

Thanks, I have ordered oil to try that... I’m telling you everything I know, so not really sure what people want from me. I’m not a pro rider, nor a mechanic. I just want my forks to work. They are so stiff and won’t dial in correctly.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
200.gif

Blinkie

Jan 11, 2020
aberdeen
Last word, honest!
You never mentioned less that 200 miles?
No pressures or settings given?
Not mentioned if you added/removed tokens?
Have you done the trailhead app? so see what upgrades available also tuning tips in that.

Bottom line is they are not the best forks to get super plush travel from

Get new foam rings/crush washers to fit while you are at it.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
Last word, honest!
You never mentioned less that 200 miles?
No pressures or settings given?
Not mentioned if you added/removed tokens?
Have you done the trailhead app? so see what upgrades available also tuning tips in that.

Bottom line is they are not the best forks to get super plush travel from

Get new foam rings/crush washers to fit while you are at it.

I didn’t think I had to mention any of that considering all I asked was where’s the best place to buy parts..... I’m not asking for help with setting up my original forks...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles