Best pedal friendly knee pads

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I'm yet to see the combined knee/elbow pad. Do you envision something which follows the sides of the body from the knees, then crosses over to the shoulders for support before continuing back down the arms for the elbows ?

Or more something connected by an expanse of lycra materiel which doubles as a wing suit to gain more lift on jumps/crashes ?
🤣🤣😂😂

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I have the 7idp Sam Hill pads, really comfy
my son has the alpine stars ones, both are not maximum protection - I have the POC ones for that but they are pedal friendly, I have done 35 mile epic mountain rides and long bikepark days on them, no problems

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
The thing that worries me about the slip ons is that when you really go down hard, the pads are just gonna roll and not really protect anything.

Has anyone had a really hard crash, wearing the slip Ons? How did they perform?

leix_toffee

Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
I have not been a fan of knee pads but on Friday took most of the skin off one knee after a front wheel wash out (caught out by how slippery a dusty trail is at the moment). Think I will be wearing some in future as my knee is now infected. I have a pair of 7IDP’s which I will give a go.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yes, several. Multiple rock impacts, logs, trees, pretty much everything.

So far the only protection which I can say has been 100% dependable for every situation !

They don't move. By design (materials, shape) they stay well positioned. Once you have a tiny bit of sweat build up, they bond to you and just become part of you.

Our body's are all different though, so what is perfect for one isn't necessary great for another. Before I found the Sam Hills I tried zipped, strapped, zipped and strapped and several compression ones, including ones recommended by friends and found they all moved, were too hot, weren't comfortable, provided inadequate protection.

Correct sizing is obviously vital, where as with a strap one, it's arguably slightly less exacting.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
For the Sam hills are you all talking about the lite version or non-lite?
IMG_4490.jpeg

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
The normal one. The extra "petals", whilst only soft, seem to help with deflected impacts more than expected.

I tried the "project knee" recently and whilst they're a nice knee pad, I found the Standard Sam Hill's to be better in every way.
Yeah, mine are the standard Sam Hills as well. As Zimmerframe mentions they're very secure once you've put them on (although a bit of a PITA to get on, I pull them over my feet with the pad at the back then rotate them into place once they're above my ankles). I had an OTB at the Golfie last year and landed on my left knee, elbow and shoulder, my knee was unscathed (although the pad took most of the force of the impact) while my elbow, forearm and shoulder were shredded. I went straight online and bought the 7idp elbow pads as well when I got home. I wear the knees all the time but only put the elbows on for "special occasions" which is probably a bit stupid as you never see a crash coming.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I pull them over my feet with the pad at the back then rotate them into place once they're above my ankles
I can imagine them getting torn if you went full Rambo and tried to pull them over your foot without getting things straight (pointing foot) and pulling in the correct places. I like the backwards idea though, will try that next time, kinda makes sense with the shape of the pad and the shape of your foot/ankle.

Anyone try the elbow pads of the same family?
Nope. The picture on the website looks like the knee pads though :

1685907799197.png

I generally wear upper body armour with incorporated elbows and keep returning to the TLD7855 for comfort/heat/overall stupidity protection. The elbows in that are similar in makeup to the 7iDP Sam Hill's. I tried to find some TLD elbow pads a few years ago which copied the TLD7855 but couldn't find any. They both feel like they're made from a similar plastic to a tote/cube/IBC tank (1000 litre container), which I wasn't convinced about at the start, but as the only parts of my body (7855 Elbows/Sam Hill Pads) which haven't been broken I think it's actually one of the better armour derivatives - plus it's light !)

For anyone who ever watched Red Dwarf - I think they're made of the same material as Starbug .. It was a joke from Lister, something like "Starbug was virtually indestructible. One time Lister explained that it was made out of the same material which was used to make the dolls they found which always survived plane crashes"

Will order some this week to try out.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
Thanks I’m going to give them a try. Anyone try the elbow pads of the same family?
My elbow pads are the non Sam Hill, basic 7idp pads. The Sam Hill versions were out of stock everywhere when I wanted a pair. On a positive note, the basic ones are very much along the same lines from what I can tell. If they'd had a blue Sam Hill label sewn on I'd have been convinced they were the real deal (based on my experience with the Sam Hill knee pads).

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
So I went out to see what I thought about pedalling in the Sam Hill knee pads tonight, and they were great. I'll likey never go without them again after my ride tonight.

I haven't had a bad fall in years and, oddly, did tonight (kinda). Unfortunately, I bought the elbow pads as well but didn't wear them, so I got a nice scuff on the elbow and have a bruised rib. Luckily my wife is a doctor and told me to suck it up and have a beer.

It wasn't a regular fall or high speed. I was out for a nice light pedal and came across this bridge and slipped on the rock right next to that tree that was removed, and it just kicked me to the right. There was no were to go, so I ended up falling over kind of backwards into the stream. Hitting the rock with my helmet, back and elbow then knee was first to land in the stream before I fully landed in it. So happy with these pads and even happier that the broken tree wasn't placed a bit differently, or I'd have a puncture in me for sure.

The picture is from after I moved the bike, but the bike ended up on top of me in the stream. Just shows how easily it happens. I've been here a dozen times, even in the winter, with studded tires. Think it's elbow and knee pads from after today.
IMG_4491.jpeg

Do wish I had tried out the elbow pads..

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
So I went out to see what I thought about pedalling in the Sam Hill knee pads tonight, and they were great. I'll likey never go without them again after my ride tonight.

I haven't had a bad fall in years and, oddly, did tonight (kinda). Unfortunately, I bought the elbow pads as well but didn't wear them, so I got a nice scuff on the elbow and have a bruised rib. Luckily my wife is a doctor and told me to suck it up and have a beer.

It wasn't a regular fall or high speed. I was out for a nice light pedal and came across this bridge and slipped on the rock right next to that tree that was removed, and it just kicked me to the right. There was no were to go, so I ended up falling over kind of backwards into the stream. Hitting the rock with my helmet, back and elbow then knee was first to land in the stream before I fully landed in it. So happy with these pads and even happier that the broken tree wasn't placed a bit differently, or I'd have a puncture in me for sure.

The picture is from after I moved the bike, but the bike ended up on top of me in the stream. Just shows how easily it happens. I've been here a dozen times, even in the winter, with studded tires. Think it's elbow and knee pads from after today. View attachment 117231

My mountain biker wife says "wear your f**king joint protection". She's also medical (post grad Occ Health) so sympathy is rather limited! ;)

One of my frequent riding buddies is a retired Consultant Orthopaedic surgeon who says that there is a relatively low success rate when repairing damaged elbows and knees, and joints generally.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I'm currently riding the sevenIDP project knee as I couldn't get the Sam Hill version at the time. I like them. They are comfortable and protection is much better than I had expected given they are light and comfortable. Unfortunately I'm going to be looking at alternatives as I appear to be mildly allergic to the rubber they use on the calf cuff - I've got a perpetual red raw area under both knees.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Unfortunately I'm going to be looking at alternatives as I appear to be mildly allergic to the rubber they use on the calf cuff - I've got a perpetual red raw area under both knees.
On one of my new pairs I started getting a red band line on the thighs which I'd not had before. I wrote to check if they'd changed the materials, but they hadn't. They did provide various suggestions, like rolling the band over - which doesn't really work at the top, but probably would at the bottom.

In the end it was a combination of them being newer (tighter) and my pulling the thigh band higher up for some reason (so tighter again). They've been fine since I stopped tugging them up so far ! :)

So you could try rolling the band at the calf, or moving it up slightly so there's less pressure ?

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

Yes. Flying through the air to land face-down onto giant volcanic boulder. The helmet needed replacement. The razor sharp rocks cut through my gloves. I probably still have a couple scars on my chest. And my SixSixOne D30's kept my knees perfectly protected. They did EXACTLY what they were supposed to do.

I posted earlier in this thread that I'm not a fan of the company. The fabric they use frays at the seams and comes apart. They don't show their address so you can send back products for warranty evaluation. Their customer service doesn't respond to emails. Their Facebook jockey is just that, and referred my inquiry to customer service, but again, they don't respond.

If you never wash your gear or are content having to replace it annually, then SixSixOne might be for you. If they just got back with me, I'd have a positive opinion of them. They could tell me that the were sending out replacements, and I'd be thrilled. They could tell me that although their warranty is for two years, I shred too hard so the warranty doesn't apply. I wouldn't be happy, but I could respect that they run a company that addresses customer concerns.

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
Yes. Flying through the air to land face-down onto giant volcanic boulder. The helmet needed replacement. The razor sharp rocks cut through my gloves. I probably still have a couple scars on my chest. And my SixSixOne D30's kept my knees perfectly protected. They did EXACTLY what they were supposed to do.

I posted earlier in this thread that I'm not a fan of the company. The fabric they use frays at the seams and comes apart. They don't show their address so you can send back products for warranty evaluation. Their customer service doesn't respond to emails. Their Facebook jockey is just that, and referred my inquiry to customer service, but again, they don't respond.

If you never wash your gear or are content having to replace it annually, then SixSixOne might be for you. If they just got back with me, I'd have a positive opinion of them. They could tell me that the were sending out replacements, and I'd be thrilled. They could tell me that although their warranty is for two years, I shred too hard so the warranty doesn't apply. I wouldn't be happy, but I could respect that they run a company that addresses customer concerns.
I. Appreciate your post. That’s good to know.

So far it looks like Fox launch pro D30 is the winner. I’ll work my way down from there .

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa

The picture is from after I moved the bike, but the bike ended up on top of me in the stream. Just shows how easily it happens. I've been here a dozen times, even in the winter, with studded tires. Think it's elbow and knee pads from after today. View attachment 117231
You’re damn lucky you didn’t get a branch through the chest . I’d pull that dead tree away from the trail most riccy ticky.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Sam hill signatures for me. Much prefer them to my old Fox enduro ones. I've not crashed yet ! So no idea how good they are when you really need them. Although they take some getting on and off, I recon they will stay put when the s hits fan.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles