Best emtb bike maintenance stand?

Swiftdaddy

Aug 14, 2021
I have a 2022 Norco Range VLT a2 coming in. My current bike stand is a cheap generic stand I bought on ebay. There's no way in hell it is going to support my 55lb+ emtb nor would I even think about clamping it on there. I do pretty much all of my own maintenance so am looking for a decent stand to work on my bike. Some of the obvious options are Park Tool stands but even those look questionable to support an ebike, at least the "cheaper" ones like the PCS-10.2. So I was looking around and saw this stand on amazon which supposedly supports up to 110lbs. Reviews are pretty good for the most part.

Any one use this stand or do you have any other recommendations? I'd prefer to keep it under $200 but willing to budge a bit.

Swiftdaddy

Aug 14, 2021
Sorry guys, did some searching in this forum and looks like this question has been asked and answered multiple times. Please ignore unless you have anything new to add!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
With the exception of the tool tray, that is the same workstand that has been sold by a variety of companies. Yours is a Bike Hand. This one is from Merlin Cycles:

I bought one from my grandson and it is identical to mine.
Mine is about 7 years old and it was from Fat Spanner and it too came with a tool tray (useless thing, it gets in the way). All are identical.

They work very well in my opinion. I used to mount my alloy mtbs in the jaws without any concern, but I started leaving one wheel on the ground with the CF framed mtbs. That was because I wasn't convinced about the strength of the CF frame, others dismissed my concerns as unnecessary. The bike shops all clamp on the dropper body and have the bike in the air and it hasn't hurt my bike, yet. If there is any serious torque to be applied, Bottom Bracket, cassette for ex, I put the bike on the ground or remove the wheel, whatever.... That too may be excessively cautious, but I don't think so on this point.

Now I have an emtb and I still leave one wheel on the ground.

I also use the workstand to hold the bike while I wash it and have been doing so for the last 7 years. I clean and lube the main clamping bolts once per year and that is the sum total of the maintenance it has received. This is not a professional workstand, but it works well and does the job , it is robust and needs little care even if it gets used as a wash stand. In my opinion, you will not be wasting your money.

Philpug

Jun 14, 2020
Reno NV USA
This power one from Park Tools
tempImagexpFf9z.png

Metamucil

Aug 16, 2021
I am not concerned that my MTB Park Tools stand can't handle the weight, but there is no good way to grip the bike other than the dropper post extended. Is holding up a 45-50lb bike via a dropper post a good idea?

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
No problem as long as it's fully extended (very important!)
I'm 114kg, so I put much more strain on the saddle than the weight of the bike would cause. It's what they do in your lbs, so it can't be that bad.

Cory S

Aug 24, 2020
Bradford NH
I use this one. Very surprised how well it holds the bike and how its built.

Metamucil

Aug 16, 2021
No problem as long as it's fully extended (very important!)
I'm 114kg, so I put much more strain on the saddle than the weight of the bike would cause. It's what they do in your lbs, so it can't be that bad.
Right. But we put compression on the post in a matter in which it is built. I've hung my MTBs from their dropper posts, but they are about half the weight. I try to avoid doing it whenever possible but my Spectral:On has no other good spot to clamp on to, which is why I asked.

Thanks for the feedback.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Right. But we put compression on the post in a matter in which it is built. I've hung my MTBs from their dropper posts, but they are about half the weight. I try to avoid doing it whenever possible but my Spectral:On has no other good spot to clamp on to, which is why I asked.
I thought the same thing, but if it's causing failures we'd be hearing about a flood of them by now. I almost always pop the battery out before putting the bike up, which makes it easier on the post and on me.

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
i highly recommend the Super B TB-WS50 E-Bike stand, its cheap and strong and can handle up to 50kg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles