Levo Gen 2 Bent crank with a pedal strike. Ouch! Options?

Hightower

Sep 7, 2018
Mars
Hi All!

I was ripping around today with my Levo on my favorite local trails and had a pedal strike at the worst point in the rotation of the cranks - must have been at 4 or 5 o clock. Hit a rock. Stopped my bike dead and threw me over the bars about 10 feet down the trail.

I'm OK but my crank is now bent slightly outward. I was able to get a few more miles in after this mishap but bent crank is noticeable as I pedal.

What are my options here? Can I take the crank off and putting it on a perfectly flat surface hammer it true? Or is a new crank needed and, if so, are these special sort of cranks or will any crank do? I have a spare set of RaceFace cranks in my parts bin.

Thanks for any help!

crankiepoo.jpg

crankiepoo1.jpg

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
My crank is slightly bent and you get used to it to a point where everyone else’s bikes feels weird ! Unless it’s a big issue leave it and save you £££

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
you could try taking it off and put in a vice with soft jaws ( ally). Note the shape of your other crank...there is a slight outward bend, probably 2mm. Be thankful it was not a carbon crank or you would have been walking back!

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
Just replace it - any attempt to straighten it will have a negative impact on its structural strenght.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Just replace it - any attempt to straighten it will have a negative impact on its structural strenght.
if it was extruded tube yes.......but it is cast so unlikely to weaken it in the direction it has to resist most force.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles