Be On Your Guard

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
have you insured the bike against this sort of thing?
Very good point.
My 2019 Giant Trance was an 'inclusion' covered by my Contents policy.
Insurance company now insure my 2022 Giant Trance X as a 'vehicle' under its own policy.
Just about needed it two weeks ago when a courier van never gave way to me at an intersection. I was wearing hi-vis yellow, and she never saw me!!!! Closest I have been to serious injury or worse, and just reinforces the wisdom of always having a finger on each brake lever. That was all that saved me, that, and always presume the other driver is an idiot.
Also another reason why my geriatric e-mtb group avoid roads like the plague.

LowStandards

Sep 21, 2020
Uk
Ah another internet hero thread - love it

I'm gonna suggest to OP's 'fighting' was probably more like holding onto his bike as hard as he could whilst shouting no!

The eye pull! Fucking brilliant - come on!

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Ah another internet hero thread - love it

I'm gonna suggest to OP's 'fighting' was probably more like holding onto his bike as hard as he could whilst shouting no!

The eye pull! Fucking brilliant - come on!

The OP was there and if he did trade blows with the guys then fair enough.
I do share your sentiments on the keyboard ninjas though😂

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
To insure my $6,700 a year bike (Amica insurance) here in the U.S. it costs me $185 a year. I do carry pepper spray clipped to the handle bar, but that is mostly for a wild dog or an animal I might meet up with on the trail or whacked out druggy on the city streets.

I rarely wait at a light (a sitting duck) I prefer to always be on the move and time the lights. I never let my eyes off my Trek and use a cable with the bike locked to a tree or pole when I'm enjoying a lunch at an outdoor restaurant. The cable prevents it from being easily swiped on the run.

"Insurance" has always been the cheapest thing you can buy . . . covering your bike, car or house etc. If it's available in your country for an ebike get it and leave the thoughts of turning into Superman to the keyboard warriors 😜

Seems penny wise and pound foolish to buy an ebike worth $5,000 to 10,000 and not spend the money for an annual "replacement value" premium that is so cheap.

Last edited:

Kiteboy

Mar 30, 2022
USA
Easy to write your thoughts and pre planned ideas, but when the shit hit the fan, you so what comes naturally not much thinking goes on. Especially keyboard BS about going equipped. Like the tools that plan for zombie bollox.
+100.
The whole point of ambush is surprise. Everyone, myself included, has a wtf moment where we freeze at the sheer incongruity of sudden, unexpected violence.

I've noticed in the US recently, violent ambushes are replacing brandishing a weapon to mug people. Criminals don't seem concerned about the consequences of their actions here anymore. In fact extreme violence seems to be used to stun or seriously injure their victims making it easier to take what they want.

The point of Krav Maga is to make your attacker unwilling or unable to continue an attack (regardless of the condition you leave them in), then making your escape. If you are facing a car or bike jacking by an armed assailant, the valuables at that point are of little consequence. Escape becomes the plan.

This is why we train endlessly to achieve conditioned response. Your mind WILL freeze, you may piss yourself, but with enough training your body will do what it was trained to do, and you stand a much better chance of going home on that night. Even if your pants are a little soggy for it.

KCMitch

Oct 12, 2020
Germany
I have dreams of this happening to me. I would be so happy that someone wanted to play. Also it increases your right to use more severe methods when your woman is there. I would go for the good old eye snatch. Pull an eyeball out of a dude and if he still wants to play he’s have to be on drugs……good ones
Or take that dudes nuts home with you. There is no fair fight

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I take the ultimate protection with me - I have a Levo. If a thief steals it, they’ll make it about 5 metres before the motor blows and it’ll be left for me to collect!

What would be good though is if they could drop it off at Berkshire Bikes for me. Its a bit out of order them robbing it and not giving it the servicing it requires!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles