BBSHD not fitting on Giant Talon 2 2022

jthoni

May 29, 2022
Washington
I have a new Giant Talon 2 (2022) and a BBSHD motor. I have seen many posts of people putting this motor on the Talon 2 (though pre-2022) and other similar Talons. I am finding it is only fitting when hanging straight down. Am I missing something? The diagonal tube extends slightly past the bottom bracket to allow for internal cable routing (and I think I see this in pictures of others who have installed this motor).
empty.png

This is blocking the motor from being able to rotate up.
contact.jpg

Did they maybe make a change in 2022 (though when I looked in the store, the 2021 seemed the same), or am I doing something wrong? I can't rotate it before putting through the bracket as the mounting tab would hit the frame.

jthoni

May 29, 2022
Washington
I was almost sold on griding this down, but I am worried that it is more than just the lip of the tube. I wonder if the fact that the entire down tube hangs lower than the bb will mean that I won't have clearance to rotate the motor. I don't want to grind this and then find it still won't work. I do see that there is clearance for the cables, but I can't quite get an accurate mental picture of where the motor will finally sit.

A couple more pictures to help illustrate:
CloseUpWithLine.png

The thin red line is where the bottom of the tube would be if it didn't bottom out right to the bb.

Here is another angle:
downTube.png

And another video just for giggles:

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
You could guestimate how much you could adjust the motor using some basic geometry.

A simple online calculator like this can help gauge how far you could rotate the motor, per MM you grind from the down tube.

Measure the radius from the center of the BB, to the spot where the motor fouls the tube. Then use the arc length for how much you would potentially grind off the tube. EG 2mm, 3mm, 4mm etc. (In the direction of the arc of rotation.) When you plug that into the calculator, it will give you a calculated angle for any given arc length/radius.

This is how much angle of rotation of the motor you will be able to gain. You can use the calculator to work out if simply grinding the edge down, and how much, would be needed to get the desired angle change.

lseefried12

Jan 2, 2023
newark de
Hey man I was looking to do same conversion as you, just had a couple questions if you don't mind?
1.)Did you end up having to grind off that lip for the motor to fit? Or did you just leave the motor facing downwards?
2.)What BBSHD bracket size did you buy? It comes in three sizes, 68-73mm, 74-100mm, and 101-120mm. I would assume its the 74-100mm that fits the pressfit92 bottom bracket but just wanted to double check
3.)Did your pressfit 41 adapter fit without any modifications?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles