Battery only charges to 3 bars

dpeart

Aug 31, 2018
US
I hadn't ridden my bike, a 2017 Raleigh Tokul IE. It is now only charging to 3 bars. It works fine, but can't get a full charge. It has the 400w battery.

Is it time for a new battery? I looked and found I can buy a new 500w battery for $776, and found someone to rebuild them in Las Vegas for $800 (not sure why I'd rebuild for more than new?).

thanks

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I hadn't ridden my bike, a 2017 Raleigh Tokul IE. It is now only charging to 3 bars. It works fine, but can't get a full charge. It has the 400w battery.

Is it time for a new battery? I looked and found I can buy a new 500w battery for $776, and found someone to rebuild them in Las Vegas for $800 (not sure why I'd rebuild for more than new?).

thanks
Ya, batteries are supposed to stored at 60% from what the docs that came with my Trek and Giant. My guess is if you kept it on a tricel charger that would have kept it at 100%. No charger and letting it run flat even worse if they are Lithium cells. For a 2017 bike I would not over pay for a battery. Keep googling around for a cheaper one all though they never last as long as the OEM ones. If it was me I'd watch a youtube on renewing the batteries yourself and see if you can order the individula OEM batteries. But the newer Lithiums might be better now than those of 5 years ago so research out what batteries are good for you to renew them yourself.

dpeart

Aug 31, 2018
US
There are 40 batteries, and at 13.4AH rating, that is a 3350mah battery. Anyone know the current discharge rating for the Bosch battery cells?

I'm assuming a NCR18650GA with 10A discharge is plenty. That seems to be a favored battery pack rebuild battery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles