Battery issue may e

Andrew68

Nov 14, 2022
Wales
I have a Giant Fathom bought in Feb 2022. On weekend the motor kept cutting out. As soon as I switched it on , even before pedalling it would go off. If I was peddling it would come off and then switch off after 5seconds - 10 mins. This happened maybe 30 - times. Then just once the red light flicked in for 2-3 seconds which I think is the speed sensor error. Anyway I checked the app and the battery showed 11 cycles complete and max capacity of 94%. The Giant website says battery has 3000 cycles so I wasn’t expecting 6% so soon. Is this a normal degration. I asked Giant and they were less than helpful first saying go to dealer, then we have no data and then “
The 3000 charge cycles are taken from testing batteries. We do not have to disclose the testing that was done to determine the value.” I done 650miles and never keep the battery fully charged etc. any advice of suggestions

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I have a Giant Fathom bought in Feb 2022. On weekend the motor kept cutting out. As soon as I switched it on , even before pedalling it would go off. If I was peddling it would come off and then switch off after 5seconds - 10 mins. This happened maybe 30 - times. Then just once the red light flicked in for 2-3 seconds which I think is the speed sensor error. Anyway I checked the app and the battery showed 11 cycles complete and max capacity of 94%. The Giant website says battery has 3000 cycles so I wasn’t expecting 6% so soon. Is this a normal degration. I asked Giant and they were less than helpful first saying go to dealer, then we have no data and then “
The 3000 charge cycles are taken from testing batteries. We do not have to disclose the testing that was done to determine the value.” I done 650miles and never keep the battery fully charged etc. any advice of suggestions
I had a similar health degrading issue with my 2019 Trance battery after following advice on this forum about generally keeping the battery at 60% and avoiding fully charging it all the time.

I was concerned that its health had gone down to 94% after a few hundred miles so asked my LBS to talk to Giant about it.

They said that the 60% setting should only be used if the battery was going to be stored for a few months and it was important to discharge the battery as low as I could get it and then fully charge it to 100% at least every few charges.

After I had done this a couple of times the health % started to creep up a bit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles