Battery Health 85%

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
Updated to the new app today (was using an old version which worked before but then stopped earlier this week). Anyway, I was a little surprised to see my battery health only reporting as 85%. Bike is a 2019 Trance e+ 2. It’s had 29 charge cycles according to the app. What galls me is that I’ve always been very careful with battery maintenance. Unless I’m doing a big ride I only charge to 80% and never normally go below 20%. On the I occasionally charge to 100% just to balance the batteries, less than once a month and then use it within 12 hours. So despite all this extra effort it seems my battery is reporting quite a bit of degradation. I’m not sure how much faith to put in the app so I was just wondering what other people are seeing reported in the app?

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Updated to the new app today (was using an old version which worked before but then stopped earlier this week). Anyway, I was a little surprised to see my battery health only reporting as 85%. Bike is a 2019 Trance e+ 2. It’s had 29 charge cycles according to the app. What galls me is that I’ve always been very careful with battery maintenance. Unless I’m doing a big ride I only charge to 80% and never normally go below 20%. On the I occasionally charge to 100% just to balance the batteries, less than once a month and then use it within 12 hours. So despite all this extra effort it seems my battery is reporting quite a bit of degradation. I’m not sure how much faith to put in the app so I was just wondering what other people are seeing reported in the app?
I wouldn't worry about it, unless you want to use the data to get Giant to warranty the battery, or you have noticed a decline in performance.

I found charging the battery off bike improved the health reading, but this is totally anecdotal.

I purchased a watt hour meter from amazon for cheap, and use that to check the battery from time to time.

Sid_79

Jul 14, 2020
Uk
I have just updated the app and was interested to know the stats for my bike because the old app has never worked! I have a trance E+1 pro 2020 I've done 1085 miles with 33 charge cycles and the app is telling me my battery health is 96%

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I have just updated the app and was interested to know the stats for my bike because the old app has never worked! I have a trance E+1 pro 2020 I've done 1085 miles with 33 charge cycles and the app is telling me my battery health is 96%

I have the same bike:

1500kms
22 battery cycles
97% health

Do you charge from sub-20% battery always? I just charge mine when I think it’s not got enough for my next ride.

Sid_79

Jul 14, 2020
Uk
I have the same bike:

1500kms
22 battery cycles
97% health

Do you charge from sub-20% battery always? I just charge mine when I think it’s not got enough for my next ride.
Yeah when I get back from a ride I just put it back on charge so it's ready for the next ride.. so yeah usually about 20%. I would hate to run out whilst out ?

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
The mentioned actions are ok for battery maintenance. 86% is too low for the number of cycles you got. I sold my 500Wh battery with 46 cycles and 97%.

With the new 625w battery I have 15 cycles and 100% yet.

You could try a LBS check, but the warranty will only cover you for under 80% in within the first two years.

One additional advice is to wait about 30 minutes before charging the battery after a ride to allow some cool down of the battery temperature.

Good Luck!

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
Cheers everyone for the feedback. I will try a full discharge/charge and see how much charge it takes. I did go on a long ride the other day in very muddy conditions. Flattened the battery pretty much, was down to 2 dots. Then on the last (thankfully) hill it went to one dot, 30 seconds later the dot went red and the power lowered then about 10 seconds later it switched off completely which doesn’t seem right :(

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Cheers everyone for the feedback. I will try a full discharge/charge and see how much charge it takes. I did go on a long ride the other day in very muddy conditions. Flattened the battery pretty much, was down to 2 dots. Then on the last (thankfully) hill it went to one dot, 30 seconds later the dot went red and the power lowered then about 10 seconds later it switched off completely which doesn’t seem right :(
My shimano batteries do that if I dont fully charge them frequently enough. My thought is they get out of balance. Myself I've not experienced it on my Trance though.

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
My shimano batteries do that if I dont fully charge them frequently enough. My thought is they get out of balance. Myself I've not experienced it on my Trance though.
Ahh, that’s interesting, I’ll give it a full cycle and measure how much charge it takes and see if it improves.

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
Completely charged then completely discharged my battery today (rode around in sport, could get used to that :D). Took the battery off the bike and charged it directly via a smart plug. It took about 4 hours to fully charge, consumed 520wh of power doing so (not sure how much the charger wastes, probably more than 20wh). Put the fully charged battery on the bike and it now reports 30 cycles and 94% health... So better than before but I’d hoped for more like 97% as I thought I was looking after my battery by keeping it between 80-20%.Whilst searching around the internet I didread you should fully discharge every few months to recalibrate the internal battery management sensor. Actually Giant say that in their manual as well so that will be my new routine now.
Out of interest has anyone else measured how much power their battery consumes to fully charge?

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Everytime I have tried to fully discharge my battery (of several ebikes I have) and then fully charge I have lost 1-2% of health, so I won't do that never again.

I never go below 20-30% and never keep the battery charged for more than 1 day when at 80%+ and my 3 bikes are now at 100% with more than 30 cycles ^^ (I sold on the battery that went 95% health and the other 2 bikes were sold a year ago :D)

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Completely charged then completely discharged my battery today (rode around in sport, could get used to that :D). Took the battery off the bike and charged it directly via a smart plug. It took about 4 hours to fully charge, consumed 520wh of power doing so (not sure how much the charger wastes, probably more than 20wh). Put the fully charged battery on the bike and it now reports 30 cycles and 94% health... So better than before but I’d hoped for more like 97% as I thought I was looking after my battery by keeping it between 80-20%.Whilst searching around the internet I didread you should fully discharge every few months to recalibrate the internal battery management sensor. Actually Giant say that in their manual as well so that will be my new routine now.
Out of interest has anyone else measured how much power their battery consumes to fully charge?
Mine was about 520 wh also.

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
Everytime I have tried to fully discharge my battery (of several ebikes I have) and then fully charge I have lost 1-2% of health, so I won't do that never again.

I never go below 20-30% and never keep the battery charged for more than 1 day when at 80%+ and my 3 bikes are now at 100% with more than 30 cycles ^^ (I sold on the battery that went 95% health and the other 2 bikes were sold a year ago :D)
That was what I was doing previously so I was a bit disappointed when mine reported 85% health. I will go back to that routine and only discharge once every month or two.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I have the same bike:

1500kms
22 battery cycles
97% health

I have run the battery to single figure % a few times lately and battery health has gone up to 99%.

Up to 1700kms now.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles