Battery and turning off whilst riding

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
Hey!

On my Scott e-Scale (Bosch 500w Pack) I did 16 miles this morning on Road (not road tires!) sitting mainly in eMTB mode. Not massively hilly, 900 ft of climb.
Did change from eMTB to Eco a few times.

Got to work and battery was one bar down (out of five) and in Eco mode was estimating 58 miles left.

On a couple of down hills I just flipped it to OFF but I'm guessing I'm not really saving much over just cruising with the unit on.

Question is... lol

Does it estimate fairly accurately? Do any of you get to say 5/10 miles remaining and battery is showing last bar etc?

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
On the miles home I tried a few different things and yeah spinning more preserves the battery... and brings in that element of exercise! :)

I read alot of forums before buying and the amount bashing and hate is crazy.. but there seems to be soo much misunderstanding. The bike (in standard legal form) is slower than my other mtb on the road and up hill its not fast just consistent :)

Going to up the pressures in the tires for shits and giggles, see what it does to the battery life :)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
No, I don’t think the remaining range and battery bars is particularly accurate, they seem somewhat exponential.
I find that the first bar lasts for ages and each successive bar lasts for less and less distance. Of course, I am getting more fatigued as the ride progresses so that while I think I’m putting the same effort in I may be leaning on the bike more.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Higher cadence is definitely better for battery life on the Bosch. Higher tyre pressure will lower rolling resistance which will also help, but you may find the ride becomes very harsh.

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
Yeah, I hear you.
I'm fairly used to harsh ride. Being a big unit I tend to hit the higher pressures lol.
Just trying things out at present... much like Sportsbike riding days, my weight loss will be the biggest and best mod I can do :)

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
No, I don’t think the remaining range and battery bars is particularly accurate, they seem somewhat exponential.
I find that the first bar lasts for ages and each successive bar lasts for less and less distance. Of course, I am getting more fatigued as the ride progresses so that while I think I’m putting the same effort in I may be leaning on the bike more.

Yes, I noted last when riding home and hitting a short climb and flicking between Tour, eMTB and Turbo the difference in estimated miles remaining on 2 bars of battery (whilst riding uphill)
Tour = 10 miles
eMTB = 7 miles
Turbo = 6 miles
These obviously drop whilst continuing to climb but once on the flat and cycling the same modes I was adding 10+ miles to each mode and Eco was giving me 28 miles remaining.

I'm going to head out at the weekend and just cycle til it dies.. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles