Back to back first impressions; E-Sommet 18'VR versus 21'VRX.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Have had a chance to try the new bike out on Cathkin Braes, which I know well. Here's what I think so far regarding the new versus old bike; particularly regarding the EP8 motor and also some points raised in the recent MBR review.

Motor:
EP8 Doesn't feel any more powerful than the E8000 however the assist feels much more subtle. I almost never use boost on the E8000 as it kicks in fairly abruptly. I think I might use it a fair bit on the EP8.
New motor is much quieter, the whine is almost gone. I could not hear the knocking or clattering noted on the over run though but maybe that is cos my hearing could be better. Certainly is not an issue so far for me.
I won't be using STunlocker on this bike to give me that extra 5mph of assist as I will not risk losing the warranty due to the new system change log. But I'm going to miss that 5mph on the E8000.

General riding:
I expected the 29" frontwheel to be the the standout difference. It wasn't, to me, the front felt pretty much the same as the old bike.
The big difference is the Zeb fork. It's fecking wonderful. I have the Lyrik on the 18'VR with the 21' spring and a Fox 36 factory on another bike. This ZEB is better in every way.
My 18'VR is a size large, after reading the MBR review I thought about sizing down. I'm glad I didn't as the bike feels the same fit despite the longer front end (I'm 5'10"). Lifting the bike you know it is a lot heavier, 2.5kg in my case, but that weight seems to disappear on the trail. I have already changed the rear shock to coil so won't comment on the RS air shock. Rear feels great though. Seems to be more support off jumps.
If I'm out on my own I remove the battery on the 18'VR to lift the bike over stiles etc. I'm going to miss that.
On my first ride I couldn't believe how noisy the bike was. After a couple of hundred meters it was clear that the battery was rattling in its' mount. I just put some foam behind it temporarily, however the battery top mount will need to be adjusted in a similar way to the old bike. Apart from that the bike was pretty quiet. In the past I worked with arc gouges and in press shops so my low frequency hearing is pretty fecked tho.

Final thoughts: It's not a pretty bike, like the new Santacruz for example. But it's a big improvement on the old one ?. Looking forward to getting it out on some properly steep trails.

21 VRX.jpg

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
Have had a chance to try the new bike out on Cathkin Braes, which I know well. Here's what I think so far regarding the new versus old bike; particularly regarding the EP8 motor and also some points raised in the recent MBR review.

Motor:
EP8 Doesn't feel any more powerful than the E8000 however the assist feels much more subtle. I almost never use boost on the E8000 as it kicks in fairly abruptly. I think I might use it a fair bit on the EP8.
New motor is much quieter, the whine is almost gone. I could not hear the knocking or clattering noted on the over run though but maybe that is cos my hearing could be better. Certainly is not an issue so far for me.
I won't be using STunlocker on this bike to give me that extra 5mph of assist as I will not risk losing the warranty due to the new system change log. But I'm going to miss that 5mph on the E8000.

General riding:
I expected the 29" frontwheel to be the the standout difference. It wasn't, to me, the front felt pretty much the same as the old bike.
The big difference is the Zeb fork. It's fecking wonderful. I have the Lyrik on the 18'VR with the 21' spring and a Fox 36 factory on another bike. This ZEB is better in every way.
My 18'VR is a size large, after reading the MBR review I thought about sizing down. I'm glad I didn't as the bike feels the same fit despite the longer front end (I'm 5'10"). Lifting the bike you know it is a lot heavier, 2.5kg in my case, but that weight seems to disappear on the trail. I have already changed the rear shock to coil so won't comment on the RS air shock. Rear feels great though. Seems to be more support off jumps.
If I'm out on my own I remove the battery on the 18'VR to lift the bike over stiles etc. I'm going to miss that.
On my first ride I couldn't believe how noisy the bike was. After a couple of hundred meters it was clear that the battery was rattling in its' mount. I just put some foam behind it temporarily, however the battery top mount will need to be adjusted in a similar way to the old bike. Apart from that the bike was pretty quiet. In the past I worked with arc gouges and in press shops so my low frequency hearing is pretty fecked tho.

Final thoughts: It's not a pretty bike, like the new Santacruz for example. But it's a big improvement on the old one ?. Looking forward to getting it out on some properly steep trails.

View attachment 53164
Great review big fella!

Actually I think it is a great looking bike. Maybe upgrading to the coil is making it look sexier . . . but I think they could have done a little better with the colour options.

What's your thoughts on the cable routing at the headset? It looks complicated, but maybe it works well.

Can't wait to see it in the flesh on the trails soon .... if I can get close enough to you! ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Cheers for sharing your thoughts.
Seems to be more support off jumps.
TBF that's not surprising at all. your old E-Sommet must have had pretty poor mid stroke support with that coil shock.
Are you putting the Super deluxe back on your 2019?
If so you should instantly notice the increased support off lips over the coil. (assuming same tokens as stock, and sub 30% sag)

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Yeah, I noticed the extra pop on the new bike straight away, but tbh its been heavy mud or snow here for a few weeks. Just staying upright has been a challenge on the old bike recently. :)

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Have done 200 miles on the new bike, 50 of those miles were with 650b both ends (DT Swiss XM1501s with Michelin 2.4 Wild enduro tyres). The wheel/tyre swap took just under a Kilo off the bike and made quite a difference to battery range. I'm back on the original wheels tho' as I really like the mullet set up. Verdict...It's a hell of a bike!!

For info, my old e-sommet took all of 3 days and one view to sell. Was quite surprised how quickly it went.
24kg.jpg

AaronJones509

Mar 21, 2021
Bristol
Great review! You say about the battery top mount needing adjustment to stop battery rattle. I believe I have this issue with mine. What did you do to stop this? Thanks

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Hi Aaron,

When i first got the bike I heard the battery rattling however it seemed to be tight in its mounts so I just put some foam behind it. That seems to have done the trick.

I have attached the dealer manual showing how to adjust; details from page 43.

Apparently others have adjusted the top mount by removing it from the bike first but I haven't tried this.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Actually, after a post in the SC forum showing how to do this without the special gap tool I did this today. The following notes are relevant for the Vitus.

To make the measurement you will have to fish the end of your tape measure round the side of the bottom mount until you have it straight.

My top to bottom mount gap measured 441 instead of 439 so it is loose even though the battery felt solid.

After removing the top mount cover and adjusting the bracket mount as far down as it could go my new measurement was exactly 439mm between the mounts.

You may not have a torque wrench acurate down to 1Nm so just hand tight +half turn + loctite on the small bolts.

Here are the SC instructions

Moderator edit to correct link :

Last edited by a moderator:

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Hey @Cisco any further update on how the new bikes going? Particularly the rear shock-I have the chance to pick one up so wondered if you had any feedback? Did you use a spring calculator?

Hi there, the 21 VRX is still impressing at 300 miles and I can now confirm that the bike crashes well ? ? .

WRT the rear spring I'm 85Kg kitted up and a 525LB spring on the TTX coil shock gives me +/-20% sag. I think that spring rate should be good on any make of coil shock for that rider weight. Good guide anyway.

Also, I'm running very little compression damping both h/l, front and rear.

Good luck with it.

Frank

Barnicles

Aug 8, 2020
Uk
Hi there, the 21 VRX is still impressing at 300 miles and I can now confirm that the bike crashes well ? ? .

WRT the rear spring I'm 85Kg kitted up and a 525LB spring on the TTX coil shock gives me +/-20% sag. I think that spring rate should be good on any make of coil shock for that rider weight. Good guide anyway.

Good luck with it.

Frank
@Cisco Do you find that the bikes feels supportive enough with the coil and doesn't blow through the travel?

I can't see anything on the Vitus site saying if these are any good with a coil and have one on order. Fancy a coil as have one on the trail bike and want to put one on the new bike when it arrives.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
@Cisco Do you find that the bikes feels supportive enough with the coil and doesn't blow through the travel?

I can't see anything on the Vitus site saying if these are any good with a coil and have one on order. Fancy a coil as have one on the trail bike and want to put one on the new bike when it arrives.

The TTX seems to be a good match for the Zeb ultimate. When it bottoms out it is usually cos I've fucked up and cased something hard, which has happened a few times when i run out of speed/talent pedalling a 25kg bike into a gap :(.

Think u will find it suits the coil.:D

Jul 21, 2018
Scotland

Good luck with it.

Frank
Good to know it crashes well! Hopefully mine will be here this week. Appreciate the response.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles