Australian E-MTB allowed trails ?

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
I never gave it a second thought. An emtb is legal on QLD roads so would be perfectly acceptable in QLD National Parks, reserves, etc where MTB's are i would have thought.
So what's this on apps like Trailforks where E-bikes are not permitted on random trails ? By whom ?
Doesn't appear to be Parks and Wildlife so is it MTB clubs taking it upon themselves to designate them this way in cyberspace?
Or just the guy that uploaded the trail first?
I'm quite happy to stay off the Black diamond singletracks they supposedly maintain but a fire road is a fire road - TBH, it irks me I can't use a KTM.
Any locals encountered any issues on the trails?

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I think trailforks are currently updating their data on intended use , so it might be a good time to get clarity on any tracks that seem ebike suitable? Having a local shop that promotes ebikes can really help - eg Tathra hires them and most if the tracks are ok for ebikes.... Mystic park Bright is a mess with lots of the uptracks not being ok ( and the trail makers charging for vehicle shuttles.....)

aussieskier

Feb 4, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
I think in many cases it could be just random oversight. If you filter Mt Buller by eBike on Trailforks plenty of the trails disappear, even though it has a stated policy permitting Class 1 unmodified eBikes, and has co-promoted eBike events etc.

Last edited:

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I never gave it a second thought. An emtb is legal on QLD roads so would be perfectly acceptable in QLD National Parks, reserves, etc where MTB's are i would have thought.
So what's this on apps like Trailforks where E-bikes are not permitted on random trails ? By whom ?
Doesn't appear to be Parks and Wildlife so is it MTB clubs taking it upon themselves to designate them this way in cyberspace?
Or just the guy that uploaded the trail first?
I'm quite happy to stay off the Black diamond singletracks they supposedly maintain but a fire road is a fire road - TBH, it irks me I can't use a KTM.
Any locals encountered any issues on the trails?

Take trail forks advice with a grain of salt. It's all Bull shit. Take lomandra Mountain biking trails as an example. Says no ebikes on every trail yet every ebike shop does there demo days there.

Trail forks appears to never get updated only when someone posts trail info eg dusty etc or fallen tree. As for the trail themselves some are rated black and they're barely blue. It's like someone set the info when it was first updated and it's never been touched since.

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
Trailforks is a foreign site and has had one star reviews from everyone since they became a paysite that uses our freely-given trail submissions to make a profit. Ignore the ebike details, that relies on users too and is there because it's a foreign template.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles