Attention RS Zeb owners

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Just a heads up to anyone with, or thinking of buying a Zeb.

I recently purchased a ZEB Ultimate, all installed no problems. However neither of my two shock pumps would engage the air valve, meaning I was unable to pump up/change pressure in fork. I initially though it was a dud valve in the fork, as pumps work fine on my other bikes and a variety of RS/Fox and Manitou suspension products on my various bikes.

I took bike down to LBS, and they tried a number of pumps on it with no joy, the only one that would engage the valve was the SKS USP, which is a very high end shock pump designed for workshop use. They had a number of other bikes in the store with Zebs, so we decided to see if my pumps, and the other pumps the shop had would work on them, and they didn't, again only the SKS USP.

I don't know if this is a manufacturing issue, we took the valve core out and all fine, tried a new one too, same issue, but basically the core sits deeper in the threaded "nozzle" than on other forks, meaning most pumps won't engage the valve.

The SKS works as it has a two stage actuation, whey you screw the hose on, then adjust the pin down to activate the valve. The SKS USP retails at about 80 quid, but they do do some other cheaper pumps with the same two stage activation, such as the MSP, which is what I ordered.

Something worth bearing in mind for anyone with a Zeb, 3 forks including mine had the same issue that we tested, so not sure if it's a batch issue or all Zebs that have the same issue.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yeah have to say I am not that impressed with the QC on the fork, it might be I got a dud, or there's only a few with the issue - I got the SRAM bolt on mudguard too and it doesn't remotely line up with the holes on the fork. Fork rides great though.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Did you try a replacement Schrader valve? 15 second swap.
yes, but as I said same issue on other forks, brand new on bikes in the shop. These are my two pumps that wouldnt engage the valves:

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Basically I would check this if buying a fork with a Zeb, if being from a shop take your pump along and see if it works - as I said might be a random issues that only effects a few forks - I am going to get my Local suspension guy to look at it when he has time, to see if its just been put together badly etc.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Haven't come across this issue at all. All the Zebs we've fitted have had no issue using either our low or high pressure RS shock pumps.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
As I expected, wiper seals were dry causing stiction.
For the sake of an hours work I'd do a bottom end service to be sure.
Forks are sweet as now 💈🐐💈

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
Similar on mine, had to try a couple of different pumps before I found one - think it's a Rockshox branded one - that reliably connected to the valve on my Zebs.

aviserated

Aug 18, 2021
Oxford GA
Have you tried using air compressor to inflate (schrader valve). My compressor will pressurize up to 130 pounds...more than enough for Zeb.

Keifo H

Dec 20, 2019
Chesterfield
Had the same trouble adjusting pressure on Zeb select + on my Trek Rail... (RockShox branded pump)...swapped the valve core for one from Schrader car tyre valve and was sorted instantly ... RockShox super deluxe ultimate rear shock wasn't easy to adjust pressure on either, so swapped the core on that one too... holding the RockShox valve cores next to some others, you could see they were shorter by about a 1mm.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles