Are my front forks faulty?

Bicycle repairman

Oct 5, 2022
Cumbria
Another perspective. I purchased a new Cube Reaction Pro 12 months ago. Within a few hours riding I knew as a former, third generation bike shop owner that the XFusion forks were very poor. Compared with the basic Rockshox air forks in my old Scott Aspect the off road ride was awful. Lots of embarrasing clanking noise and a very harsh ride irrespective of how it was set up. Yes, they felt sticky. I took the bike back to the Cumbrian supplier who stripped and re-lubed the fork which to be fair , made a small improvement. However, within a month I had swapped the forks out for, as new, Rockshox Gold forks from evil bay for £180. It took half an hour to fit and transformed the bike. The ride is now compliant, comfy, reasonably quiet and has never bottomed out. I ride a mix of tarmac, rough and rocky bridleways and old quarries. At 65 the Cube with better forks is now the perfect ride for me. I now love the bike but doubt if the factory forks can ever be made really useable off road. Don't prevaricate, just buy better forks and you will have a great bike. You will not regret it.

Netty

Sep 21, 2022
Yorkshire
Another perspective. I purchased a new Cube Reaction Pro 12 months ago. Within a few hours riding I knew as a former, third generation bike shop owner that the XFusion forks were very poor. Compared with the basic Rockshox air forks in my old Scott Aspect the off road ride was awful. Lots of embarrasing clanking noise and a very harsh ride irrespective of how it was set up. Yes, they felt sticky. I took the bike back to the Cumbrian supplier who stripped and re-lubed the fork which to be fair , made a small improvement. However, within a month I had swapped the forks out for, as new, Rockshox Gold forks from evil bay for £180. It took half an hour to fit and transformed the bike. The ride is now compliant, comfy, reasonably quiet and has never bottomed out. I ride a mix of tarmac, rough and rocky bridleways and old quarries. At 65 the Cube with better forks is now the perfect ride for me. I now love the bike but doubt if the factory forks can ever be made really useable off road. Don't prevaricate, just buy better forks and you will have a great bike. You will not regret it.
Yep im not happy with the quality !! I’m only riding towpaths and bridleways but YES I referred to suspension feel now as a “boneshaker”. But as the bike is still under warranty (only got in April 2022) I will await the outcome from x fusion. Maybe something to think about after the 12 month warranty on e-bike expires. (Then it’ll be another minefield of which forks to get!)

Pity because I don’t ride anything like the YouTube video !!

Netty

Sep 21, 2022
Yorkshire
Found a set up guide. And as its showing a reboound adjustment on the top of the fork, could this be the same as yours ?
Thanks but no there a different fork . The ones supplied on bike have no rebound.

46CF0FA0-3C5D-48B5-9E58-EC130C1C179C.jpeg

kevtp19

Jan 8, 2023
Plymouth
Hi all, I am new to this forum. However, suffered the exact same problem with my 2022 reaction hybrid Pro. My MIG29 forks went back for warranty repair, although after allegedly a new damper cartridge and lowers , they still felt terrible. Shame as the bike is good apart from the forks, I had to upgrade them, only to rockshox recons, but they are worlds apart from the xfusions. Can't believe how bad forks could be, like everyone has said, no damper controls , no sensitivity to small bumps at all, sticky horrible performing forks. See the race version has Judy's....

Netty

Sep 21, 2022
Yorkshire
Hi all, I am new to this forum. However, suffered the exact same problem with my 2022 reaction hybrid Pro. My MIG29 forks went back for warranty repair, although after allegedly a new damper cartridge and lowers , they still felt terrible. Shame as the bike is good apart from the forks, I had to upgrade them, only to rockshox recons, but they are worlds apart from the xfusions. Can't believe how bad forks could be, like everyone has said, no damper controls , no sensitivity to small bumps at all, sticky horrible performing forks. See the race version has Judy's....

Forks returned from x fusion - all seemed fine but problem back again.
Just returned to bike shop who said bit of “sticktion” again. I’m awaiting reply from shop as to where we go next…
Just a query - “I had to upgrade them”. Did you get any support from shop ? cube offer to replace them? Or did you just replace. ? (At your own expense)

According to cube website the forks are “bump soaking 100mm of travel for when things get a little rougher”

kevtp19

Jan 8, 2023
Plymouth
Forks returned from x fusion - all seemed fine but problem back again.
Just returned to bike shop who said bit of “sticktion” again. I’m awaiting reply from shop as to where we go next…
Just a query - “I had to upgrade them”. Did you get any support from shop ? cube offer to replace them? Or did you just replace. ? (At your own expense)

According to cube website the forks are “bump soaking 100mm of travel for when things get a little rougher”
Hi, no, I had to pay for the upgrade. Found some rockshox recons on fb marketplace. Went to the bike shop and picked up the bike whilst the xfusion PoS were being 'fixed'. The bike shop wasn't happy with me, but I wasn't very happy myself at the time, they had already had the bike a month..... The MIG 29 100mm forks are literally the worst forks I have ever experienced. How you can make something that bad. Shame on cube for spec'ing them. Let's the bike down big time. The recons made it soo much better (and they are budget themselves!) .

kevtp19

Jan 8, 2023
Plymouth
Hi, no, I had to pay for the upgrade. Found some rockshox recons on fb marketplace. Went to the bike shop and picked up the bike whilst the xfusion PoS were being 'fixed'. The bike shop wasn't happy with me, but I wasn't very happy myself at the time, they had already had the bike a month..... The MIG 29 100mm forks are literally the worst forks I have ever experienced. How you can make something that bad. Shame on cube for spec'ing them. Let's the bike down big time. The recons made it soo much better (and they are budget themselves!) .
To add to that, when they came back from warranty repair ... they were just as awful.

Netty

Sep 21, 2022
Yorkshire
To add to that, when they came back from warranty repair ... they were just as awful.
Thanks for the info.
Hmmmm ! My forks came back late oct from warranty fix (didn’t get to find out what they “fixed”) not really been out on other than tarmac/towpath since and the problem is back again!
I’m awaiting a call from bike shop tomz to see where we are at (I’m not hopeful now grhhh!) .

Netty

Sep 21, 2022
Yorkshire
Ps Did the bike shop say there would be any issue with warranty if you changed forks? Did the recons the same travel (100mm) ?

kevtp19

Jan 8, 2023
Plymouth
Thanks for the info.
Hmmmm ! My forks came back late oct from warranty fix (didn’t get to find out what they “fixed”) not really been out on other than tarmac/towpath since and the problem is back again!
I’m awaiting a call from bike shop tomz to see where we are at (I’m not hopeful now grhhh!) .
Unfortunately I think you will carry on being dissatisfied with these. Mine made this squeak sound even dropping off a curb (was embarrassing for an expensive bike). I think we assume there is something wrong with them , but , that is just how they are. When I serviced my recons I thought I'd put them back on and see if they had been fixed, how wrong i was. No small bump sensitivity, when they do compress they are so over damped they barely spring back. After one ride, the recons were back on, my arms were aching, may as well be rigid forks. Least it wasn't just us going by this thread.

Netty

Sep 21, 2022
Yorkshire
Got the forks back again . Actually working this time but still feel “clunky”.
Looks like I’ll have to pay for a more comfortable ride. But don’t want to invalidate any warranties.

According to cube website invalidates warranty if put longer travel forks on than original length fitted.

Original spec

SUSPENSION FORK​

X-Fusion MIG32 Air, Tapered, 15x110mm, 120mm, Lockout (EE: 100mm)

So mine are 100mm. (EE 100mm) xfusion Mig air 32.

Anyone have any kind suggestions for better budget forks please? (Ideally under £400) . I have no knowledge on forks think I’ve seen rockshok on newer models of same bike?

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Rockshox Yari or Pike., Fox 34 or 36. Any of those are well proven & will come in under budget secondhand. Add £50-£80 for a service before fitting & minus the sale of your existing fork.

Three things to tick off before buying: Wheel size, axle width & steerer length. Plenty of info on the internet.

Netty

Sep 21, 2022
Yorkshire
Thanks for that - I’ll add those names to a list . Was thinking new replacement but pre-loved could give me better spec . Sorry didn’t put a size - 29” wheels (rest of info will be on t’internet I’m sure).
I’ll bear those names in mind - are they all available as 100mm travel ? (Before I get lost in the internet again)

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
100mm travel nowadays is the preserve of cross country forks. The minimum you'll likely find is 120mm in any of those options & even then probably only an older Yari or Fox 34. The net effect of a longer fork is you will raise the handlebar & bottom bracket height a little & slacken the head angle by a degree or two which will make the bike more stable in descents but a little more twitchy in handling on the flat & in climbs. The whole thing is a trade off & a big subject in its own right.

Going from 100 to 140-150mm is going to slacken the head angle by roughly two degrees. Some riders would bite your hand off for this, others will hate it, it all comes down to the kind of riding you do. If you really want like for like, then something like a Rockshox Reba or a Fox 32 fits the bill but I would suggest they're a bit weedy for heavy Ebikes.

Last edited:

Netty

Sep 21, 2022
Yorkshire
Thanks for the reply. I guess it’s a trip back to the bike shop to discuss any warranty issues before trying to find new/replacement forks (quick Google doesn’t seem to find much at 100mm - plus all other dimensions needed - in stock anywhere in uk) and documentation states invalidate warranty if put more travel
On.

Don’t know if it’s on all Mig air 32 or just mine !!! but the “chatter” (new word I’ve learned - boneshaker is my word) is terrible on this bike. I swapped the tyres over to thinner more puncture resistant ones and it got worse!

Back to the original 2.6 I think!

Beginning to Not enjoy this ebike! (If it’s not on tarmac!!)

AndyS2

Jul 31, 2023
sheffield
Found this thread after a Google search, it seems the 2023 model XFusion forks are no different. I'm experiencing all the things people have said here, choppy ride, loads of stiction and a bad knocking noise over rough ground. Think I'll be looking for an upgrade.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles