Anyone used Magic Gel?

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
im on my 3rd battery lead now and have had a number of water issues with my levo not working after showing it a picture of water or even a sneeze next to it....

i was wondering as water is a problem with a lot of e bikes, has anyone ever tried Magic Gel to water proof it.
Magic gel is an electricians item for keeping water off electronics, it forms a barrier so water can't get it at all.
On the levo, as i have one, there is a small place under the motor where all the plugs and such are open to the elements, no matter what the manufacturers say, i wondered if you fill this place with magic gel and put it back together then water problems gone.... no more battery lead corroding and cracking as air won't make the plug brittle and crack either....

any thoughts???

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I use this stuff, but very sparingly. BC5FD38F-B633-4C1A-A9FF-6E5D666677B6.jpeg
I try to remember that if water gets in…it also needs to get out. I’ve probably been lucky because I have completely submerged my bike several times. The area I was most concerned about were the connections in the motor. I did not apply dialectic grease directly to the small metal connections but rather the rubber seal which may help keep water out. It seems to work.
Other area’s or connections seem impossible to protect.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
When I had my levo I used some stuff recommended by the Spesh dealer in Gainsborough( can’t remember the name).
It was a thicker version of acf 50, just sprayed it on all the connections and the charge port.
Motor still broke though😀

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
there are a number of ways you can protect the electical connections without using any gel. The first job is make sure the connectors are water tight. They are all female connectors with one or 2 green seals on the inner casing. Those seals can dry out and shrink so need a bit of TLC. I used silicon lube to keep them flexible and avoid them shrinking. Once the connection was made I smeared some grease around the closure area.

Second job is to prevent as much water as possible from getting into the area. The drain hole is in the bottom and that needs to be kept clear and unobstructed. I smeared grease on the motor cover edges, inserted more motofoam than the single piece guarding the gap at the rear of the motor, used a rear mudguard that helped to guard that area at the back of the motor, used motofoam again to block the entry point of the rear brake cable into the non drive side cover, blocked the cable entry points on the cross member behind the shock with grease ( otherwise water tracks down the cables into the connector area especially when washing the bike). In addition to all of that I wrapped the TCU and the connectors leading into the TCU in amalgamating tape and made a neoprene seal to sit between the TCU and the frame. Both me my mate protected our Levos with these methods and neither of us ever had any electrical problems. My 2019 Levo Comp was 2 years old with c 1300 miles on it ( then it was stolen!). My mate still has his 2019 Levo with now 2500 miles on it.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
my bike is kept in like new condition, its only covered 800 miles from new still have two motors, two tau's and three power leads ad plenty of errors. it never gets used in bad conditions and never gets muddy or really dirty, its washed once a year maybe but thats the time it gets ruined. the main problem with the power lead is the plastic plug cracks and moister gets in. nothing to do with the green seals. you can seal the plugs and connections as much as you like but water will get in from components failing.

this is why i asked the question, has anyone tried magic gel? as this would cover literally everything and water can't get in at all.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
my bike is kept in like new condition, its only covered 800 miles from new still have two motors, two tau's and three power leads ad plenty of errors. it never gets used in bad conditions and never gets muddy or really dirty, its washed once a year maybe but thats the time it gets ruined. the main problem with the power lead is the plastic plug cracks and moister gets in. nothing to do with the green seals. you can seal the plugs and connections as much as you like but water will get in from components failing.

this is why i asked the question, has anyone tried magic gel? as this would cover literally everything and water can't get in at all.
It is true the V2 version ( as fitted standard on 2019/2020 bikes) suffered from the motor end plug cracking but that was replaced ( under warranty) with the V3 and I have seen no reports of the same happening with that updated cable. I changed mine to the V3 before my original caused problems and properly installed it did not suffer the same problem. I also sorted out my original and kept it as a spare..albeit it was never needed. As a fellow UK rider I doubt you ride in any worse winter conditions than me and my mate and neither of us have ever suffered any faults so you or your lbs are quite probably doing something different. You started by saying your bike cannot withstand any wet conditions and now you say you do not even ride in wet conditions, and your problems are only initiated by an annual bike wash!! You appear unwilling to follow the steps I described to better protect the electrical components of the bike in favour of bemoaning your bad experience. So are you looking for help/ideas or just airing your frustration? Nothing I can help with if it is the latter.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
It is true the V2 version ( as fitted standard on 2019/2020 bikes) suffered from the motor end plug cracking but that was replaced ( under warranty) with the V3 and I have seen no reports of the same happening with that updated cable. I changed mine to the V3 before my original caused problems and properly installed it did not suffer the same problem. I also sorted out my original and kept it as a spare..albeit it was never needed. As a fellow UK rider I doubt you ride in any worse winter conditions than me and my mate and neither of us have ever suffered any faults so you or your lbs are quite probably doing something different. You started by saying your bike cannot withstand any wet conditions and now you say you do not even ride in wet conditions, and your problems are only initiated by an annual bike wash!! You appear unwilling to follow the steps I described to better protect the electrical components of the bike in favour of bemoaning your bad experience. So are you looking for help/ideas or just airing your frustration? Nothing I can help with if it is the latter.

as ive said, my bike has failed on a few occasions now due to water so i don't take it out in wet conditions anymore. ive lost all trust in it. the thing is i have done in the past all you suggested they make no different when water gets into a split plug but, my original question has been missed.... i wasn't asking you for your advice on how you treat your bike i was looking to see if anyone has used magic gel.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Treat the connectors and seals with Dow Corning DC4 grease. It's specifically designed for the job and a tube goes a very long way. If you fill the area with magic gel you'll regret it when it comes to servicing or fault finding. In my experience it's great for potting junction boxes etc, but when you break through to do rework etc it soon allows moisture to wick through.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles