Anyone update to the Shimano 4.1.9

iLuveKetchup

Dec 23, 2021
Big Apple
I also performed the update this weekend. I haven't gotten a chance to ride due to weather. I almost got a heart attack when the LEDs were flashing red after the update. The LEDs cleared after a restart, thankfully.

Jay Bird

Aug 22, 2022
Mill Valley, CA
Seeing as they do not list what the changes are it is very minor editing to the code. Nothing to write home about, pun intended 🥴
Also if you look at the firmware update history, they had updates coming out every 2–3 months over all of last year. Now it has been almost a year and this is the first update. That would tell you that the bugs are worked out and the software has been stable. That’s a good thing. Gives me more confidence in the product.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
E Tube says an update is available, FIRMWARE UPDATES | E-TUBE PROJECT | E-TUBE | E-TUBE PROJECT-US Just says General Big fixes, well I'd be curious as which bugs it fixed honestly. Anyone got more info?

You'll never know the answer to that question. Whether it's your bike, your refrigerator, your television, or your Falcon 9 rocket, it runs on computers and software. As the product is used in the real world, flaws are discovered and better ways of accomplishing the goal are imagined. New software is written as a result, and pushed to the devices. But you know all that.

What many fail to understand is that the psychology of the customer is a big consideration in how the updates are presented. Face it, consumers are dummies, you and me included. We don't understand enough about the system to derive any benefit from knowing the specifics of software modification. Suppose Joe Shimano told you that 4.1.9 increased the derivative speed feedback to stabilize velocity-tracking oscillation. What's that tell us? Nothing. But there will be some customers who get on the forums with their inflamed hemorrhoids screaming about how their bike is now "oscillating" and how their Brose motor is the best thing since the Wright Brothers invented bicycles. In a nutshell, we're all kept in the dark so that the nutjobs don't get all wound up.

I just went down to the garage turned on the bike, and paired up my phone. Sure enough, the update was available. It took 5-10 minutes, and it's now good. Strangely, with the last two software updates, as soon as I disconnect the phone, the computer pukes out an E010 fault. Or maybe it's not strange at all. I power down and restart, and the fault is gone. The first time I saw it, though, it was pretty disconcerting.

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
Just did it for my wife’s M-Team and yes I go the double flashing red lights, powered down and back up, all better now… my M10 is getting a new motor because of the cracked spindle which completely busted off… I hope it is on its way from Spain by now

Erjabato

May 28, 2022
The great Spain
I updated my H15 today. All went as described: after successful update with e-Tube app I got a E010 in the display that was gone after power off and on.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I think I'm experiencing a difference with the new software. But it's only been a couple rides and it's totally subjective. Perhaps I've imagined it. You guys can confirm or deny this.

Sometimes I might find myself on something super-steep, in a taller gear than is desirable, and in need of immediate maximum power. I'm stomping the pedals as hard as possible, and pulling up on the bars like I'm trying to bend the stem. Cadence is slow, and the assist level is weak. When the speed and cadence pick up, then the assist level dramatically increases. This same phenomenon can occur on the flat, when cadence is low, gearing is high, and you're applying maximum power to the cranks.

With this latest update, the motor seems to be a bit more responsive when cadence is low and pedal input is high. We can't go back and forth between software versions, so we have to rely on perceptions. What do you guys think? Is there a greater range of responsiveness with 4.1.9?

Deimos

Apr 25, 2021
Germany
I think I'm experiencing a difference with the new software. But it's only been a couple rides and it's totally subjective. Perhaps I've imagined it. You guys can confirm or deny this.

Sometimes I might find myself on something super-steep, in a taller gear than is desirable, and in need of immediate maximum power. I'm stomping the pedals as hard as possible, and pulling up on the bars like I'm trying to bend the stem. Cadence is slow, and the assist level is weak. When the speed and cadence pick up, then the assist level dramatically increases. This same phenomenon can occur on the flat, when cadence is low, gearing is high, and you're applying maximum power to the cranks.

With this latest update, the motor seems to be a bit more responsive when cadence is low and pedal input is high. We can't go back and forth between software versions, so we have to rely on perceptions. What do you guys think? Is there a greater range of responsiveness with 4.1.9?

In a Facebook group some people reported the exact same.

I did a ride today but didn‘t notice a difference. Perhaps it‘s too subtle.

On the next ride i give it a bit more attention.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
I updated to the new firmware. the bike mostly feels the same and I've only done two rides on it. There does seem to be a more refined power application, but i may be imagining things. Another odd thing to note... I've done both my rides on the new firmware with a buddy that has an h15. Previously, we were always within 7-10% battery remaining on a given ride when riding together... after the update on both the rides we just did, I was 15-20% more range then he had at the end of the ride (I am on an M10 with range extender and he's on an h15).

It may be by complete chance and just the nature of the rides we did (both were roughly 26 miles and 3k of climbing). It could be that I was just riding more efficient and carrying more momentum through and into climbs... but I've been riding with this guy for going on 15 years and we ride nearly the exact same when it comes to stuff like that since we've been riding together for so long.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
I got a ride in last night. I'm not quite sure if the range is any better. It does seem that either the batter percentage is showing more accurately or it is operating a bit more efficient. Previously, it seemed like the battery would drop like a stone once it was past 15% remaining, and now it continues the same draw down rate prior to that percentage.

MikeL_mtb

Feb 15, 2022
New York
I got a ride in last night. I'm not quite sure if the range is any better. It does seem that either the batter percentage is showing more accurately or it is operating a bit more efficient. Previously, it seemed like the battery would drop like a stone once it was past 15% remaining, and now it continues the same draw down rate prior to that percentage.
This would be a nice change, I find the same, the last 20% definitely drains faster than the rest.

Jay Bird

Aug 22, 2022
Mill Valley, CA
This is just how all batteries work. And the opposite for charging. Just the physics of it.

Malicefox

Apr 21, 2022
USA
Updated mine on friday and took two rides so far. The update went smooth with no errors thrown during the update process. I can't tell a difference when out riding. The only thing i have noticed is occasionally when i power up the bike, the little inline remote has no lights, and the bike does not respond when the mode buttons are pressed. A simple restart of the bike usually fixes it but no permanent solution yet.

Strindberg

Sep 24, 2021
Strasbourg, France
I have been driving my Husqvarna only with Eco High on 99.9% of my route since June 1, 2019 and 31.600 kilometers.

Of course with each update I try all the modes for hundred meters.

It seems that with this latest update,
the engine does not vibrate anymore like a reluctant horse,
when I give a strong pedal stroke on a steep slope.

That's all folks.

till Fårö.jpg

Last edited:

Dirtyrig

Dec 26, 2021
New York
After upgrading the EP8-RS motor, on my Orbea Rise, to the 4.1.9 firmware I actually see a difference in the responsiveness and battery usage. Maybe a placebo effect, but my strava times seem to show a pretty nice improvement after the update 🤷‍♂️

Wad2023

Mar 19, 2023
Uk
I’m tempted to do this update but fear bricking the bike. So, it’s just a case of connecting to the bike and clicking “install updates”?

I guess the phone has to be unlocked and the app running without interruption until the updates are completed?

vladej

Jun 28, 2021
Slovenia
My Rise M20 is still on 4.18 version.
The phone has to be in airplane mode when performing update to prevent any possible interrupt.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles