Anyone rolling on snow?

Taiga

Sep 6, 2018
Canada
Hi
I have a levo comp 2018 with 2.8 tyres and here where I live we have a 5 to 6 months of snow. I mainly ride on snowmobile trails near my house. Only a few snowmobiles once in a while are opening the trails so the tracks are kind of soft. We also have nearby a lot of fatbike trails that we can use but only when it's hardpacked (2.8 tyres are not always welcome on fatbike trails unless it's dam hard and that I can understand). Anyone ever experience 3" tyres vs 2.8" in these conditions? Would it be worth switching?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Not yet but can't wait.

I won't be changing tyres when it comes. My mates have fatbikes and I generally ride an old hardtail with minions in the snow with them fine... Well... it's sketchy at times but that's what I love about riding snow. Deep snow they end up pushing too anyway.

I always take the piss out of the anytime we pass a sandy spot in a trail that we're riding a "Fatbike trail". I had no idea there actually was such a thing.
Every day's a School day, eh?

Taiga

Sep 6, 2018
Canada
Yes, fatbikes are common here in Canada and trails are groomed for them. Ther's a debate going on as what is the minimum tyre width aloud on such a trail. 3.8 seems to be it, but most of them are around 4.8- 5.0. Some places allows less width when it's hard pack.

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Love the Phat. Had 3 Fat bikes. In my opinion they are much more fun. You get more of a workout with a clockwork if that’s your thing, too. Longest journey was 8 and a half hours on one... I found out to my surprise, that if you ride for that long and aren’t used to it, your prostate basically won’t work (sorry TMI, but warning you Gents out there who want to go on long rides). Numbness setting in and all that. Probably should have put the comfy saddle on then.

Only for my E bike did I go just 4.0... my previous I did 4.8 inch.

Jumbo Jim’s, Surly Bud and Lou.

Been in the snow and on sand, too. Great fun.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Pretty much any bike saddle can put pressure on the nerves in your gentleman's area. So if you find that performance is lacking in other areas of your riding, then change your saddle, improve the padding in your shorts, or stand up more! :eek:

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I was using Suomi Fat Freddies 3.0" last winter, mostly narrow single track made by "the walkers", and some multi-purpose/ski track. Didn't use my fattie with Dillinger 5" at all. The Fat Freddies measured 75mm on i 35mm rims. I also used the 45Nrth Wratchild 3.0" on the front for improved grip on ice. That one measured 67-68mm and it wasn't enough for me on snow.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles