anyone gone back to a normal bike?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Nope..and never will.
Forget about going downhill for a moment ..my ebike allows me to climb so much more technical stuff than I have ever managed on a normal bike and that is where the additional fun comes in .
As for downhill ..it isn't shy about getting little bits of air-time..but I've never been one for huge jumps and for the main part it's the most planted ( and forgiving) bike when my skill level has max'd out and I'm hanging on for dear life ..
I'm now actually riding the majority of trails I tackle ..with a minimum of pushing ..why would I want to go back to the dark ages 🤔😁

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
if you can ride where you want to without assistance then you dont need an e-bike. If you cant do those rides anymore then by the best e-bike you can possibly afford or scale down your riding to your current abilities would be my advice.
Personally I ride my lightweight hardtail locally and the ebike when on away from home big days out.

robbydobs

Jan 31, 2021
Sussex, UK
I regularly ride my normal bike. Better for fitness and strength, plus it handles better.

eMTB is better when I haven't got much time (got young kids to take care of) and still want a quick blast, or want to do some self-uplift style riding and the local DH runs. Also useful for taking the kids out on a mac-ride.

I'm currently debating what to do it/when the EMTB runs out of warranty and breaks. Not sure I'd replace it. Just too much money to run given Shimanos utter lack of support / spare parts once warranty expires.

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
A week ago I attended a Canyon demo day and I rode Spectral:ON CF and Spectral 125 and a Spectral 29. I do not think I'll ever go back on Amish bike, unless I change my riding totally and buy a DH bike and begin doing bike parks with uplift service. The 125 was a hoot though. I wish Canyon made a "Orbea Rise"-style version of it.

However, I also rode a Grizl and I could see myself riding a gravel bike without motor assistance. I also do own a touring bike and a grocery getter/pub bike which both are unassisted.

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
I also find the full-power bikes to be heavy and ponderous. It is like riding a light dirt bike with an ebike motor, in a way. I sold mine and got a Levo SL. It is far nicer with the lower weight. I still do ride my Ripley which its just under 30 lbs and still love that light nimble feeling. It is so easy to launch that things off any trail feature. Plus, it keeps my cycling strength up. If would not ride a full-power bike again and absolutely not an my only bike since it makes me much weaker on a MTB.

tinybiker

Jul 11, 2022
US
I have both e-bike and the normal one. So I can choose which one to drive depending on my mood. When it is for sports purposes I ride the normal one.

Richwall

Jan 15, 2021
Uk
My Bullit is up for sale after waiting 12 weeks for a new Ep8 & in that time ive enjoyed riding my Bronson.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Well after 6 weeks solid on my ebike, yesterday I grabbed my old HT 29er and headed out. I swear Ive lost muscle power in my legs! I couldn't get up to my usual road speeds then when I went and tackled a short 400m hill climb my lungs and legs started to scream.

Personally I'm now going to alternate some analogue rides in between all the Ebike rides I'm doing.

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
2/3rd of my total KMs this year on an amish bike (to be fair, 10 days of Whistler bike park does add up the KMs LOL). My Trek Rail is a DH shuttle sled. Most of my fiends don't own emtbs yet so I generally ride that solo and pedal with my pals.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles