Anyone experience with forks or shocks from aliexpress? I'm quite eager to try some

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
I have a DNM AOY-36RC shock on my fat tire ebike and it works very well. I have a around 400 miles of trail riding on it.

It has low and high compression air chambers. Once you get the pressure dialed in it handles the small stuff very well but ramps up quickly to prevent bottoming out. I would put it on par with the RockShox Monarch I have on my analog bike.

I bought a Himalo fork for the same bike and it didn't work out for me. It had too much stiction causing it to bind up. It also had a significant amount of play/flex in the stanchions. I replaced it with a Manitou Mastodon which I love.

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
I have a DNM AOY-36RC shock on my fat tire ebike and it works very well. I have a around 400 miles of trail riding on it.

It has low and high compression air chambers. Once you get the pressure dialed in it handles the small stuff very well but ramps up quickly to prevent bottoming out. I would put it on par with the RockShox Monarch I have on my analog bike.

I bought a Himalo fork for the same bike and it didn't work out for me. It had too much stiction causing it to bind up. It also had a significant amount of play/flex in the stanchions. I replaced it with a Manitou Mastodon which I love.
Thanks for the insight! My friend was thinking of getting one for his fatbike so that's good news!

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
Do you know rcz bikeshop? You have some serious discount! Check the forum mtb news.de , there is a specific thread for discount codes

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
Do you know rcz bikeshop? You have some serious discount! Check the forum mtb news.de , there is a specific thread for discount codes
Yeah I have heard of them. Though when you google reviews from rcz bikeshop the reviews are not pretty.. alot of scams etc seem to pop up. As well as possibility for over 6 months of shipping time..

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
Yeah I have heard of them. Though when you google reviews from rcz bikeshop the reviews are not pretty.. alot of scams etc seem to pop up. As well as possibility for over 6 months of shipping time..
I’ve ordered a zeb ultimate 29 charger 3 for 350€ and received it in 1 month. Same thing for a revelation at 100€ and 2 weeks for a rear shock!

alancube

Sep 24, 2023
Essex
I ordered a camera case from them at Christmas, brilliant, kept me up to date about delivery almost daily, really pleased with the case so have just ordered a Shimano 11 speed shifter, and once again daily updates - looking forward to it's arrival!

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
a friend locally here in the SF Bay area had his shock blow up on him due to lack of maintenance. He's been through more rehab that I would care to share., and the medical bills have been nothing short of astronomical. Why in God's good name would you ever consider a cheap fork knowing that this is a critical part of your bike safety. Having a fork dive due to a blowout or having a rear shock compress incorrectly will have you questioning why saving a few hundred bucks. Ali Express is nice for grips, fenders, and lights. Only a fool would consider taking this liability knowing a failure could severely injure yourself or even die. Yikes.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK

I fitted one to Mrs P's bike and I agree, it works better than I would ever have imagined. Truth be told I prefer it over the low spec RS Deluxe that I had on my old Trance BUT I don't know whether the DNM is serviceable as I haven't had to pull it apart yet (she hardly ever rides).

Forks seem to be a different kettle of fish though. I've not seen anything 'cheap' that works too well. If I had to go for a cheap, no-name-ish Chinese brand of fork I think it would be FastAce, of which I have experience of, fitted to an electric unicycle. The setup works well and to this day is one of the best implementations we have in the scene, working better than linkage systems using RS/Fox coil-overs. Admittedly the latter systems suffer mainly from poor linkage/bearing design rather than the actual shocks being used but for sure the FastAce setups have been reliable and work very well.

That said, given I picked up my 180mm Domains brand new for £325 it's a bit of a no brainer really.

Ksem07

Mar 2, 2024
Belgium
Never tried RCZ, but they seem to have some great deals.
Reading through their "commercial philosophy" however, you will have to sacrifice some service which other stores offer, and longer waiting time of course.

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
I fitted one to Mrs P's bike and I agree, it works better than I would ever have imagined. Truth be told I prefer it over the low spec RS Deluxe that I had on my old Trance BUT I don't know whether the DNM is serviceable as I haven't had to pull it apart yet (she hardly ever rides).
Good point, the DNM may end up being disposable. At it's price point that may be okay if it holds up for a few years and I am still happy with it.
Forks seem to be a different kettle of fish though. I've not seen anything 'cheap' that works too well.
I agree. The only brands I would consider testing at this point are priced up there with entry level name brand forks and probably not worth the hassle.

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
a friend locally here in the SF Bay area had his shock blow up on him due to lack of maintenance. He's been through more rehab that I would care to share., and the medical bills have been nothing short of astronomical.
Yikes! You make a valid point. While mountain biking is inherently dangerous it doesn't make sense compound that with poorly made or maintained components.

I did quite a bit of research before buying the DNM. It has a solid history of reliable performance based on hundreds of reviews. With that being said, no one should take my word for it. Each rider should do their own research and decide for themselves. Intended use, maintenance habits, and rider skill all need to be considered.

You are right, there is a lot at stake and medical costs will make the most expensive bikes and components look cheap.

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
Never tried RCZ, but they seem to have some great deals.
Reading through their "commercial philosophy" however, you will have to sacrifice some service which other stores offer, and longer waiting time of course.
Yes, great deals, specially when you check their daily deals, you can’t subscribe to the newsletter however, that’s why people are sharing the mails on the mtb-news.de forum

Ksem07

Mar 2, 2024
Belgium
Yes, great deals, specially when you check their daily deals, you can’t subscribe to the newsletter however, that’s why people are sharing the mails on the mtb-news.de forum
Sounds good! Do they give you an estimated delivery date for your order? I’m quite eager to try them, but I’m hesitant if I don’t know when to expect it.

Yikes! You make a valid point. While mountain biking is inherently dangerous it doesn't make sense compound that with poorly made or maintained components.

I did quite a bit of research before buying the DNM. It has a solid history of reliable performance based on hundreds of reviews. With that being said, no one should take my word for it. Each rider should do their own research and decide for themselves. Intended use, maintenance habits, and rider skill all need to be considered.

You are right, there is a lot at stake and medical costs will make the most expensive bikes and components look cheap.
For my project, I have chosen a DNM rear shock. I have a bigger budget for the front suspension, so I might go with RockShox, Fox, or another well-known brand. I think DNM is a good choice, but I’m not sure about the other brands. I wouldn’t risk trying them.

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
Sounds good! Do they give you an estimated delivery date for your order? I’m quite eager to try them, but I’m hesitant if I don’t know when to expect it.

For my project, I have chosen a DNM rear shock. I have a bigger budget for the front suspension, so I might go with RockShox, Fox, or another well-known brand. I think DNM is a good choice, but I’m not sure about the other brands. I wouldn’t risk trying them.
Absolutely no estimated delivery date!
I bought a rear sidluxe select+ for my wife, 40€ + shipping

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles