Anybody off to the NEC Cycle Show this w/e?

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I am going tomorrow... Hoping to get a go on one of the new Gen 4 Bosch bikes, see that elegant new Kinesis Rise hardtail and ogle the new Whyte's too. Oh, and Sir Martyn of Ashton is talking too. Should be fun!

1568377020544.png

stw-2019-09-13-DSC06409-1024x627.jpg

Last edited:

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
That Kinesis does look interesting. I’d like to see shorter stays on it but it’s nice to see that approach to a hardtail. It’s 18.5kg too. Will be interesting to see what you think. I think Orange have a hardtail ebike on the way too (like a p7/clockwork).

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Last year I wrote a full show report, but tbh it isn’t worth it this year - the show was significantly smaller with very few major brands there (Cube, Canyon and RM were all absent after having a presence last year, and Giant, Spec and Trek were also no shows). The dedicated indoor Bosch ebike year track was also AWOL, replaced by a pretty dull outdoor loop shared with analog MTBs and gravel bikes. Finally due to his current illness (pressure sores apparently) Martyn Ashton couldn’t appear, so it was the ever annoying Harry Main instead. Definitely not an improvement!

Very brief summary below:
  • Rode the new Bosch Gen 4 in a Focus Thron; did not seem noisy to me, just a different sort of whine; slightly higher pitched. Would definitely consider a bike with it if it proves reliable (a big if!).
  • The Whytes look great, welding much neater on the prod bikes. The 180 wone ebike of the show apparently.
  • If you like single pivot suspension and exceptionally ugly welds ;) the new Orange bikes certainly look built to take British conditions.
  • The new Kinesis HT above looked very good in the flesh and would be a good option for someone wanting a med range weekday commuter and a blue and red trails recreational machine at the w/e.
  • At £13 for an advanced ticket (plus £2 for the honour of printing it at home!) and £12 to park (£16 if you did not book in advance! :mad:) I don’t think we will be returning next year.

Last edited:

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Thanks for reporting back Matt. I think quite a few people found Eurobike disappointing too. Perhaps a trend away from these type of events from the manufacturers?

As a fan of big ugly welds it’s good to see Orange out in force. :)

The Whyte Hoxton looks like a nice commuter bike option, along with the Kinesis.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Thanks for reporting back Matt. I think quite a few people found Eurobike disappointing too. Perhaps a trend away from these type of events from the manufacturers?
Yes, I think so. TBH if you are a brand who has already paid out to distribute your bikes via an LBS I'm not sure why you would pay £25k (the rumoured price for a decent sized stand this year) to be represented. It makes a lot more sense for someone like Ribble or Colnago though where it is generally pretty hard to see those bikes before you buy them.
...The Whyte Hoxton looks like a nice commuter bike option, along with the Kinesis.
Yes, it is very nice, but having ridden the hub motored (ebikemotion) Ribble Hybrid Al-e I couldn't honestly say the Fazua power unit has any real advantages for me in an urban / commuter / fireroads type of bike. Yes you can take it out and ride analogue, but will most buyers ever do that? The Al-e had plenty of natural feeling assistance for that kind of riding, was nicely specced and finished and has the same battery capacity, all for £1k less; it should require less maintenance and drivetrain replacements too. I strongly suspect it will become my wife's new bike in 2020...

5C6A285F-4C65-47F8-867E-2D656A8C8152.jpeg

Last edited:

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Yes, their stand was the pick of those there - they have completely refreshed their entire range in about 2 years, it is pretty impressive for such a small company (only about 60 headcount apparently). Extremely friendly and knowledgeable people too.

Bean

Jul 21, 2018
Hull, UK
We went Friday, was surprised how much smaller it was this year. The stunt show was missing too and that was always fun to watch.
Don't get me wrong was interesting to get hands on and close up with new bikes/ kit and will be after the new saddle from dmr, but was a disappointment over last year

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from them again.

The new hardtail acoustic MTBs look interesting (and take the spare wheels from my EMTB, yep I’ve been thinking :) ).

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Yeah, I rode the new Ribble Ti hardtail on the track - it was nice with a slightly springier ride quality, though I am not sure it's worth the premium over an alloy one for winter use. Looked lovely though!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles