Anybody in the UK bought a Shimano motor from Germany?

FOG

Oct 5, 2018
Sheffield UK
My E8000 has finally gone EO10/WO13 after 31/2 years so am looking for anew motor. Madison want mid £900ishfor a replacement but eBay has them for £200 less from Germany. Are there any complications to doing this? Are they a direct replacement? No weird firmware issues?
Same question about batteries which are also pretty cheap?

technotony007

Sep 5, 2021
uk
My E8000 has finally gone EO10/WO13 after 31/2 years so am looking for anew motor. Madison want mid £900ishfor a replacement but eBay has them for £200 less from Germany. Are there any complications to doing this? Are they a direct replacement? No weird firmware issues?
You get hit with 20% Vat and clearance charge i believe

robbydobs

Jan 31, 2021
Sussex, UK
Yes it'll be about 27% more expensive after VAT import duty and fees and if it breaks after 1 month you'll have to buy another as it will have no warranty.

rpurdie

Jan 12, 2023
UK
I've not done it but I've been looking into it. You'll get charged with VAT @ 20%, a clearance charge and maybe some import duty as well. I believe you can avoid paying VAT on the 4mybike website on that end since it is for export which may help but you need to use their website, not ebay.

If you're replacing another E8000 it should be a direct replacement but you will need to set the motor angle and maybe other settings. Madison can do it for a fee or there are apps that will allow you to do it yourself at the potential expense of the warranty. Madison told me the Shimano warranty is worldwide so an imported motor should still be covered.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles