Any short Rise riders out there? What size?

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
I'm just waiting for my Rise by slightly concerned about sizing.

I'm 5ft5 (165cm) which seems to suggest a medium (Orbea says 4ft11 to 5ft5 for small, 5ft3 to 5ft9 Medium), but I could fit both.

I tried a medium in the shop and it seemed ok, but they had no small - I can also get a good deal on a small as they seem harder to sell.

I tried a geometry comparison site for my old bike, but it's a race hardtail and not comporable really.

Was just wondering if there are any riders out there that are my height on a small or medium and what the experience is please?

Phoenix

Dec 29, 2021
Devon
Not a small rider, but may help with some reference points to Rise sizing :

I'm 5'11", pretty long limbed, 33" inseam and +4 on the ape index
Large is suggested as 5'7"-6' by Orbea
Large fits for me, and with a 125mm dropper, there is about 35mm of post sticking out of the seat tube. Basically this mean that for me, with a 150mm dropper it would be slammed. So, at 5'10 I might be able to use a large too. Also, for a comfortable fit, I rolled the bars back towards the seat a bit to reduce the effective reach.
I am not convinced that an 'average' 5'7"-5'9" rider could be comfortable on a Large, even if they could get the seat to the right height, without shifting the seat forwards and changing the COG and/or shortening the stem, which might make the steering a bit twitchy.

So translating that to a Medium, I'd be very surprised if 150mm is ok for the dropper for you, and personally, I'd be going and double checking the sizing on that Medium again. Even better if you can throw your leg over a small somewhere too.

Coming from a Hardtail, one thing I hadn't thought about is that obviously, when you sit a full suspension bike, it will drop, so the seat height (unloaded) that allows you to safely put your feet down (when seated) is higher than on a HT, but as this makes no difference to Seat-Pedal distance its not as accurate a measure of correct sizing for pedalling - conclusion I came too was that the 'right seat height' on full suspension meant flatter feet on the ground when seated

Last edited:

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
Not a small rider, but may help with some reference points to Rise sizing :

I'm 5'11", pretty long limbed, 33" inseam and +4 on the ape index
Large is suggested as 5'7"-6' by Orbea
Large fits for me, and with a 125mm dropper, there is about 35mm of post sticking out of the seat tube. Basically this mean that for me, with a 150mm dropper it would be slammed. So, at 5'10 I might be able to use a large too. Also, for a comfortable fit, I rolled the bars back towards the seat a bit to reduce the effective reach.
I am not convinced that an 'average' 5'7"-5'9" rider could be comfortable on a Large, even if they could get the seat to the right height, without shifting the seat forwards and changing the COG and/or shortening the stem, which might make the steering a bit twitchy.

So translating that to a Medium, I'd be very surprised if 150mm is ok for the dropper for you, and personally, I'd be going and double checking the sizing on that Medium again. Even better if you can throw your leg over a small somewhere too.

Coming from a Hardtail, one thing I hadn't thought about is that obviously, when you sit a full suspension bike, it will drop, so the seat height, unloaded, that allows you to safely put your feet down is higher than on a HT, but as this makes no difference to Seat-Pedal distance its not as accurate a measure of correct sizing for pedalling.
Thanks. Amusingly I just measured myself for the first time in 20+ years and found out I am 5ft6, not 5ft5 as I always thought. Haha. Nice surprise. This puts me a little more into the medium.

Posted the same question on the Facebook group. Almost all of 5ft5 to 5ft7 including several women. The only people who said small was one 5ft7 guy and two women. Out of about 10 who replied (and at that point I said I was 5ft5). Women also with longer legs and shorter arms would fit a small better. So I reckon a Medium, with a 35mm stem and perhaps a little forward saddle would fit the bill. I hope!

Thanks.

Phoenix

Dec 29, 2021
Devon
Thanks. Amusingly I just measured myself for the first time in 20+ years and found out I am 5ft6, not 5ft5 as I always thought. Haha. Nice surprise. This puts me a little more into the medium.

Posted the same question on the Facebook group. Almost all of 5ft5 to 5ft7 including several women. The only people who said small was one 5ft7 guy and two women. Out of about 10 who replied (and at that point I said I was 5ft5). Women also with longer legs and shorter arms would fit a small better. So I reckon a Medium, with a 35mm stem and perhaps a little forward saddle would fit the bill. I hope!

Thanks.
Lol, when I was having bike size anxiety, I measured my height again, and also found an extra inch!

ionut.holbia

Dec 31, 2020
Lausanne
I’m looking to change my Wild FS size S/M to an Orbea Rise. I’ve already tested the H30, size M and it fitted just fine. I’m about 165cm.
One thing that I didn’t test is if the seat post can be inserted all the way. When I tested it I didn’t change the seat height.
On my Wild FS I have the seat inserted all the way and it’s fine but I have the 125mm seat post.
Does anyone know if the 150mm seat post on the Rise can be inserted all the way?

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
I’m looking to change my Wild FS size S/M to an Orbea Rise. I’ve already tested the H30, size M and it fitted just fine. I’m about 165cm.
One thing that I didn’t test is if the seat post can be inserted all the way. When I tested it I didn’t change the seat height.
On my Wild FS I have the seat inserted all the way and it’s fine but I have the 125mm seat post.
Does anyone know if the 150mm seat post on the Rise can be inserted all the way?
I have heard from others that at our height, the 150mm post on he medium is too high. When I get fitted for my h15 I will probably need the 125mm post max. I hope my LBS are accommodating.

Jdof

Nov 6, 2021
Chile
Hi. My wife is 167 cm and she is rocking her M size Rise. She is perfectly comfortable and feels very stable with the bike. Also the 150 mm acomódales perfectly.

B7EE0040-C2CC-4634-801F-481A973FE093.jpeg

Grendel

Subscriber
Dec 20, 2021
Texas
I'm 5'7" and the Medium works perfectly. I even extended the stem a slight bit. I did put a tall, plush saddle on the thing, though, so changed to a 125mm dropper. Happy riding!

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I have a friend who just picked up a H30 a few weeks ago...he is about ur height 5'4 or 5'5" but longer torso than legs so he had to go w/ a small frame. He also has to get a shorter dropper but reach is fine. He says it feels longer than his 2020 stumpy alloy

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I have heard from others that at our height, the 150mm post on he medium is too high. When I get fitted for my h15 I will probably need the 125mm post max. I hope my LBS are accommodating.
Just make sure ur LBS orders ur h15 w/ the 125mm dropper from the factory...it's a $0 option when u order.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
Just make sure ur LBS orders ur h15 w/ the 125mm dropper from the factory...it's a $0 option when u order.
Thanks. I asked them that and they said they couldn't make any changes to default spec so I will have to put up with 150mm or bug a new one. A bit annoyed but that's what they said :(

Grendel

Subscriber
Dec 20, 2021
Texas
I bought the 125mm PNW and it is you can adjust it to be up to 25 mm lower than that in 5 mm increments if needed. Very happy with it so far.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Thanks. I asked them that and they said they couldn't make any changes to default spec so I will have to put up with 150mm or bug a new one. A bit annoyed but that's what they said :(
That's too bad...I guess they don't know the options available from Orbea...this is direct from the website. I ordered my H15 with just about every upgrade that was available which for me.

1644604917454.png

Last edited:

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I'm not ordering from orbea though. Any upgrades would delay the bike they said.
I reserved my bike through Orbea's website last Friday with the Shop that had the earliest ship date. Shop called me that night to confirm my upgrade choices then placed my order w/ Fork,Shock, Dropper, Brake, and Rotor upgrades this past monday . Shop got notification from Orbea Today that Manufacturing is complete and bike is being prepared to ship....so do upgrades delay shipping? Not for me...I'll have bike in hand in the next 2-3 weeks.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
I reserved my bike through Orbea's website last Friday with the Shop that had the earliest ship date. Shop called me that night to confirm my upgrade choices then placed my order w/ Fork,Shock, Dropper, Brake, and Rotor upgrades this past monday . Shop got notification from Orbea Today that Manufacturing is complete and bike is being prepared to ship....so do upgrades delay shipping? Not for me...I'll have bike in hand in the next 2-3 weeks.
Really?! What country are you in? What shop? Thanks. Oh I see you are in the US. I'm in the UK. I don't know why they won't do it...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles