Any other “real” sized guys on here - looking for advice....

cwf1982

Apr 15, 2021
Ashford, Kent
Hi blokes,
I’m based out of Ashford in Kent, anyone local?
I’ve been biking most of my life (recently getting back on the knobblies after a few years pretending on the road bike). Trouble is I have also been eating for a large amount of my life. That leaves my poor 19”rockhopper with a 6’4” 145kg unit on top of it. Now clearly there’s some lumbar to lose there but the chances are any bike I get (I forgot to mention I’m looking at an emtb) will have to deal with me chucking it about a bit probably at above 115kg as an absolute minimum (and realistically up to 125kg). I figure at that kind of weight (and given the fact I am definately gravity biased (read: I hate pedalling) it might be worth looking at the more ‘robust’ end of the market. At the moment I’m liking the look of the Kenevo Comp or the Torque:On. Any other heavy pads got anything else to throw in the mix?

cheers

C

FSEngineer

Jul 14, 2020
Kent
Maidstone, Kent so not too far away!

Realistically I don't think there are really any bikes on the market rated for that capacity - my Canyon has put up with 125kg of me punishing it for 3 years with only a few creaks to show for it (mainly seatpost related), but it definitely complains less now I've dropped to about 103kg. Safe to say it's been outside of the manufacturer's recommended range for most of it's life, whether you want to take the risk is up to you (be prepared to pump that suspension way up!)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Don't worry .. you're not alone :

A couple to get your started.

cwf1982

Apr 15, 2021
Ashford, Kent
Maidstone, Kent so not too far away!

Realistically I don't think there are really any bikes on the market rated for that capacity - my Canyon has put up with 125kg of me punishing it for 3 years with only a few creaks to show for it (mainly seatpost related), but it definitely complains less now I've dropped to about 103kg. Safe to say it's been outside of the manufacturer's recommended range for most of it's life, whether you want to take the risk is up to you (be prepared to pump that suspension way up!)

Hi mate,

I lived in Maidstone for 36 years on and off before moving to Ashford so I know the area pretty well. Weirdly I think the seat post is my main worry - I've never had a dropper post before and can just see me starting any climb (who am I kidding!? every non descent is more like it) in a half decent position and ending it with my knees round my ears somewhere and the saddle in full hooligan position!

I guess I have come to accept I may be outside the recommended range and just need to hope my skills and reluctance to jump too high save my arse. And my wallet!

cwf1982

Apr 15, 2021
Ashford, Kent
Don't worry .. you're not alone :

A couple to get your started.

Nice one Zimmer cheers. I shall have a good read! Glad to know I am not alone!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles