Any luck getting dealer to correct early assist cutout?

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Subject line has it. Bosch always seems to cut out assist early, some cases worse than others. A couple tenths of a mph would be no big deal, but around 1mph early is annoying, and 2mph more would be very frustrating - arguably false advertising on Bosch's part.

Has anyone managed to get a friendly dealer to correct the wheel circumference to the motor (not the user adjustable circumference, which doesn't affect cut out) so that the cut out happens much closer to the advertised limit?

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
Subject line has it. Bosch always seems to cut out assist early, some cases worse than others. A couple tenths of a mph would be no big deal, but around 1mph early is annoying, and 2mph more would be very frustrating - arguably false advertising on Bosch's part.

Has anyone managed to get a friendly dealer to correct the wheel circumference to the motor (not the user adjustable circumference, which doesn't affect cut out) so that the cut out happens much closer to the advertised limit?
I was getting this too. Brand new bike , I deliberately didn't install or connect the Flow app. First ride with Garmin 530 as a speed comparison , I could see the discrepancy. Adjusted wheel circumference to minimum , no change. Tried max circumference for the hell of it , same result. Assist topped out at around 23km/h (Australian specced bike so should be 25)
I installed and connected the Flow app , then allowed it to also update, Voila. 25kmh.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yes. Just ask nicely next time you're in the shop. It only takes a few minutes to do with most of that time being clearing space on the workbench for the laptop.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I was getting this too. Brand new bike , I deliberately didn't install or connect the Flow app. First ride with Garmin 530 as a speed comparison , I could see the discrepancy. Adjusted wheel circumference to minimum , no change. Tried max circumference for the hell of it , same result. Assist topped out at around 23km/h (Australian specced bike so should be 25)
I installed and connected the Flow app , then allowed it to also update, Voila. 25kmh.
Huh, strange. Not that I can use the Flow app, but I wonder how it could know the proper correction to apply.

Way North

Oct 3, 2022
Very far north
Hello, new member from Norway here.
My Bosch CX (with Purion) cut out at around 23-23,5 km/h, tested with a Garmin GPS.
I took it my local shop and they adjusted the wheel circumference (after a bit of pondering whether they should increase or decrease it :) )
Afterwards the cutout speed is very close to 25 km/h.

My previous bike had a Yamaha PW motor, it was spot on.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
This is all very good news, thanks. I just need a good flat/straight test area to nail down the exact discrepancy, figure out the correction factor, and make a trip to an appropriate dealer.

Wodger63

Apr 18, 2022
Australia
I was disappointed with the early speed cut out after owning a Yamaha PWX, fixed it by chipping it.
I don't ride over 25kph all the time but when I hit a dip in the track at over 25 kph and it powers up the hill from the bottom instead of waiting to drop below the limit, it makes it a whole different bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles