Any brands that are open with their parts?

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I'm a handy guy and fix most things myself. For example, the only service my cars get is tire rotations, and only because I don't have the machine. Clutches, engine rebuilds, computer reprograms I do that all myself.

It kind of drives me nuts I need to rely on the manufacturer when going into eMTB.

Is there any manufacturer or brand that has a more open policy on right to repair and offer the products for sale? It is one of the few reasons I'd consider a non-brand name that uses like a generic bafang system.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
When you say “repair” are you meaning general maintenance like replacing brake pads, chains etc or you talking motors/electronics? Most of the motors aren’t serviceable anyway, they just get replaced at the dealer. I believe Yamaha are supposed to be but I imagine if you did the work yourself it would void the warranty, it’s more for their service centre guys.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I mean the ability to buy replacement parts like the motor & controller. Like an EP8 motor, it doesn't appear as if you can buy one. My truck or Jeep I can go into the dealership and buy pretty much any piece for it and/or buy parts from the aftermarket. Sure, sometimes I need to buy a whole driveshaft if there is just a bad joint, but at least it is not a brick.

While under warranty, I'll get them the LBS to work on it, but I'm thinking long game. It seems like once out of warranty, you are screwed unless you go to the LBS, and only they can order the parts and install them. I don't like the idea of being stuck in a situation like that. Because I have been.

It feels like in 2-3 years, we will have a massive amount of eMTBs that are just garbage because there is no support for replacement motors and controllers. Not as concerned about batteries because there are companies that can rebuild most batteries.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
I'm a handy guy and fix most things myself. For example, the only service my cars get is tire rotations, and only because I don't have the machine. Clutches, engine rebuilds, computer reprograms I do that all myself.

It kind of drives me nuts I need to rely on the manufacturer when going into eMTB.

Is there any manufacturer or brand that has a more open policy on right to repair and offer the products for sale? It is one of the few reasons I'd consider a non-brand name that uses like a generic bafang system.
I totally hear you and absolutely agree with you 100% …me too !
and in answer to your question, buy a Yamaha BRANDED ebike and you will see proper parts listings for everything they make on the bike. I have yet to see any other offer that. They make great bikes, and motors!
Have a look here…

Last edited:

MamboN5

Dec 6, 2022
España
there is a brand of motors that allows you to open them and sells you any part so that you can repair it. It's Polini, you have bikes like Fulgur or Berria.

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
Most of the motors aren’t serviceable anyway, they just get replaced at the dealer.

All motors are serviceable and companies like Homepage - eBike Motor Centre (Performance Line Bearings) run by bearingman do so every day. Manufacturers may choose to just swap out the motor under warranty but preventing me from finding and and buying a broken part for the motor I bought that I want to replace myself is just wrong.

As Rickster pointed out, Yamaha do it right.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
there is a brand of motors that allows you to open them and sells you any part so that you can repair it. It's Polini, you have bikes like Fulgur or Berria.
This is why I bought a Fulgur Mula.

However, they (Polini) won't just sell parts to ANYONE, you've got to be an approved repairer (IE, trained to do the job).

I'm hoping to do the training required so they will supply me the parts to do my own motor, when the time comes.

SRB22

Sep 1, 2022
Switzerland
Grin (Home page) have a very open policy. They don't do full ebikes, though, only conversion kits. But if you're open to starting from a normal bike and add a motor yourself, you should definitely check them out.

On this page: Kits Vs Turnkey - Getting Started they discuss how conversion kit can make much more durable solutions ("In our opinion, the single biggest issue with most ready to ride electric bicycles, especially the more premium models from a brand name, [...] is that they are designed around proprietary mechanical components and electric communication protocols. Everything may look slick and neatly integrated out of the box, but that tight integration almost always comes with a price tag on flexibility and support life.").

Their bike computer, called "Cycle Analyst", is considered by many DIYists as the best one on the market (it looks completely outdated, but don't let it fool you: it has configuration options that you'll never find elsewhere).

If you want to discuss their parts or ask questions, the best place is probably Endless Sphere - Index page.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles