Another tyre thread..

Stanny_uk

Oct 15, 2019
Uk
So I knew std maxxis rubber on my jam2 were shite... So a lot said get maxxis dhr2 3c maxx terra. 120tpi jobbys!!! What a load of shite... Grippy but had rock through twice in 28miles..one in sidewall on nothing serious on a climb!! One today in middle on Marin Rock... So my magic Mary's dh on my enduro bike have been battered in France for 2 weeks.. Not a puncture... Anyone else found em bit weak..???

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
No comment on the Minions, I have never used them, preferred the High Rollers
I have the Maxxis HR II (3C Maxx Terra) and I've had zero problems with them, but mine have the EXO side walls.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Maxxis make their most popular tyres in at least 4 different tyre casings

single ply
Exo
DD
DH

One of the above will be tough enough for your riding so rather than have a hissy fit that ALL maxxis tyres are shit why not take a look at the level of sidewall/tread protection each offers and choose the most suitable for your needs.

sounds like you're comparing a Schwalbe DH casing to a Maxxis single ply casing. A little unfair, no?

Oh.. .and Tpi is the tyres thread per inch count. higher count generally means a more supple, lighter sidewall/casing at the cost of strength/fragility. TPI alone is not a measure of strength a lower TPI tyre usually will be heavier, less supple and stronger.

Last edited:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Have had several sidewall rips with Magic Marys on my analogue bike but the MM on my eGenius is a vastly different beast. I have noticed many of the eMTB I have seen in shops have Exo casings which I personally think is too light for many users.

Stanny_uk

Oct 15, 2019
Uk
I'm gonna hold my hand up here and say... I THINK I FUCKED UP... I went for 2.6 3c maxxterra tr 120 tpi... Thinking maxxterra was tough and more threads per inch would be tougher.. So basically I thaught they were the big berther of minion... Oops... OK... Lesson learned... Think I'm gonna pick up set of the new Michelin e wild gumx tommorow... Can't be doing with punctures and flying jizz every time I go out!!! Teach me not to listen to a mate who knows everything/fuck all obviously.. ?????????

Stanny_uk

Oct 15, 2019
Uk
Lessons that cost money ... or pain, are often those that we actually learn from.
Ive raced mx, superbike, enduro the one thing I do know is ya don't fuck with what sticks ya to ground.. Lol.. My mistake totally miss understood the abrieviations.. E wilds on way... Is what it is.. Only money

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles