Another (probably silly) battery/motor question

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
We were out yesterday. Both on the same bikes - both did the same distance - both batteries fully charged at the start. But after a stop at 5 miles, my display said I had 32 miles left and the wifes had 42 miles left. Now on the route we had a couple of big hills. At the time, I was thinking I had to work really hard (I've done the route before) on occasion and then the motor seemed to 'pick up' and take over, especially if I changed gear or changed power mode. The route was into a head wind and mostly uphill (slight gradient most of the time).

When I came home and checked it again, I had 34 miles left and the wife had 28. Really didn't make sense unless the calculation is taking the past 'x' miles into account and not just looking at the battery voltage.

So, do I have a problem with my motor? Or is it just me? And does anyone know how the remaining distance is calculated.

Bikes are Rockrider EST-520's.

Cheers

Alan

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
With bikes that "pretend" to give you a range in miles or kms it can only make that assessment based on power used over a preceding period of riding. what that period is and whether or not it resets if the bike comes to a standstill is anyone's guess and depends entirely on what algorithms were used in the original software. You are better ignoring it in my opinion and, assuming you have one, rely more on the numbers of bars used or remaining display. That at least is reading battery voltage.
In terms of motor response, all motors have different torque curves and specific cadence ranges where the motor is producing its power more readilly. If you are facing a stiff breeze, the resistance felt will vary with the gusts and it was probably that which made it necessary for you to change modes or gears. The higher the cadence you use ( depending on your specific motor characteristics) the less you are likely to feel any variance in support in those circumstances. So no...I doubt you have any motor problems, and until/unless you can become familiar with how the range details actually works it is probably best ignored.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles