Angle set headset

p060064h

Jun 19, 2019
Exeter
I got a -1.5° works components head set for my normal bike and would like one for my 2019 Levo don't suppose anyone has any info if anything like it exists for the Levo ?

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
The Levo, like many Specialized bikes, has an integrated headset in which the bearing cup is machined into the head tube itself. I don't know of a way to use an offset bearing holder in these systems, but I'd be interested to hear about it if there was one.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
I have a minus 1.5 degree headset from works in my merida e 160 and it works well enough, much better than the original that developed a creak every 2 to 3 weeks. It's been in for well over a year now.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I think this is probably the only option (other than offset bushes)
0.5° Angle Spacer for Tapered Forks | Reverse Components
I had a look at that... but can't wrap my head around it.

That spacer would place the centreline of the steerer tube at odds with the centreline of the head tube by half a degree right, so...
The spacer would need to have a slight wedge built into it's thickness - which I hope it does. But then the top bearing would be out of alignment unless it also comes with a corresponding 0.5° angle spacer oriented or facing the opposite way.

So how does a single spacer like that mounted at the bottom, work on it's own I wonder?

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
I think that the "0.5° angle spacer" Reverse Components sells is simply a 10mm spacer. Lifting the head tube 10mm would decrease the head angle of most bikes by about 0.5°. (It also slackens the seat tube angle and raises the bottom bracket by about 4mm which may or may not be desired.)

You can achieve the same thing by increasing fork travel by 10mm (though you actually only net about 7-8mm at sag). If you want to lower rather than raise the bb you can use offset bushings (axle pins) in the shock mounts to drop the rear and slacken the fork and seat tube angles without raising the front.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I think that the "0.5° angle spacer" Reverse Components sells is simply a 10mm spacer. Lifting the head tube 10mm would decrease the head angle of most bikes by about 0.5°. (It also slackens the seat tube angle and raises the bottom bracket by about 4mm which may or may not be desired.)

You can achieve the same thing by increasing fork travel by 10mm (though you actually only net about 7-8mm at sag). If you want to lower rather than raise the bb you can use offset bushings (axle pins) in the shock mounts to drop the rear and slacken the fork and seat tube angles without raising the front.
Ahh, but of course! I over complicated the entire thing, duh!

What threw me off, was years ago there was a product like this but the hole was off-centre from the OD of the spacer. In effect it would change the head angle by deliberately misaligning the centreline of the steerer tube vs the head tube. I confused the two to be similar.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I like that reverse components spacer combine with my works component -1 degree headset. I'll slacken the head angle 1.5 degrees and that combo will make the knock bloc headset unnecessary because the fork crown will no longer hit my frame/downtube

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles