Altitude vs Instinct for trail centres

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Most people suggest I pick an Altitude vs Instinct since it's an e-bike it can handle more suspension. I get this suggestion, but I'm having a hard time accepting it. If I lived in BC then it totally would make sense but I'm riding more trails.

I'm currently on a Giant Stance E+, which is a 120mm/130mm emtb and I certainly need better shocks/more travel. But I also love my bike for my terrain. I'm just concerned a more travel bike will be too much suspension for 80% of our trails. Does that make sense?

I'm in Eastern Canada, so we aren't talking about big mountains. It's more like very root-filled trails with many hills, but none are more than a minute or two up/down.

A few videos (not mine) of our local trails:
Our new flow trails

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
Most people suggest I pick an Altitude vs Instinct since it's an e-bike it can handle more suspension. I get this suggestion, but I'm having a hard time accepting it. If I lived in BC then it totally would make sense but I'm riding more trails.

I'm currently on a Giant Stance E+, which is a 120mm/130mm emtb and I certainly need better shocks/more travel. But I also love my bike for my terrain. I'm just concerned a more travel bike will be too much suspension for 80% of our trails. Does that make sense?

I'm in Eastern Canada, so we aren't talking about big mountains. It's more like very root-filled trails with many hills, but none are more than a minute or two up/down.

A few videos (not mine) of our local trails:
Our new flow trails
Good videos. I live in New England and just upgraded from a Levo to an Instinct rather than the more readily available Altitude because of similar concerns.

Badd0g

Mar 18, 2022
Canada
I ride a 2022 instinct on Vancouver Island it's very steep and rocky and tons of roots as well I'm not a big jumper but 1 meter drops are no problem. What I love is how the Instinct climbs like a goat and has a ton of power. So for me no regrets

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
I ride a 2022 instinct on Vancouver Island it's very steep and rocky and tons of roots as well I'm not a big jumper but 1 meter drops are no problem. What I love is how the Instinct climbs like a goat and has a ton of power. So for me no regrets
Bad Dog--Wonder if you are struggling a little like I am with the brisk cadence needed to get the maximally efficient awesome power delivery from the Dyname motor. We also have lots of wet roots and I find the rear end is going sideways more than I remember what my old Levo did.
Regardless, the Instinct is a big step up from the Levo

DNE87

Oct 4, 2022
UK
An Instinct can be an altitude with just the shock mount and longer shock if required, so essentially 2 bikes in 1.

rockymountaindude

May 6, 2022
Canada
Thx. good to know
But the Instinct’s GEO will never be as slack as the Altitude’s. It’s designed as a trail bike, not an Enduro bike like the Altitude. Still, the Instinct can do Enduro stuff.

OP: get the Instinct since you are riding mostly trails that don’t warrant an Enduro bike.

tenth

Feb 26, 2023
Calgary, AB
But the Instinct’s GEO will never be as slack as the Altitude’s. It’s designed as a trail bike, not an Enduro bike like the Altitude. Still, the Instinct can do Enduro stuff.

OP: get the Instinct since you are riding mostly trails that don’t warrant an Enduro bike.
The shock and shock mount (and fork) is what changes the geometry, the frames are otherwise identically designed. It's long been an option to convert Instincts to Altitudes/BC edition Instincts.

rockymountaindude

May 6, 2022
Canada
The shock and shock mount (and fork) is what changes the geometry, the frames are otherwise identically designed. It's long been an option to convert Instincts to Altitudes/BC edition Instincts.
Didn't you already respond on Facebook and we already discussed this? Regardless, yes, but as far as I understand you need the same shocks more or less to achieve the same geo. I've tried running numbers on different shocks and have yet to get the exact same geo.

Uktonyb77

Feb 19, 2023
Uk
Hi ,

Where & what shock mount would you purchase to convert the instinct successfully to an altitude with pretty close geo numbers ? Appreciate front fork and rear shock also need changing but more interested in the shock mount part you refer to.

Thx

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
Hi ,

Where & what shock mount would you purchase to convert the instinct successfully to an altitude with pretty close geo numbers ? Appreciate front fork and rear shock also need changing but more interested in the shock mount part you refer to.

Thx
You probably found out by now but it only works with the carbon frame models. The link is a Rockey Mountain part sold on the bikes.com website.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles