Vondo

Mar 13, 2023
Australia
Hi all,

Has anyone upgraded their emtb from Shimano to an aftermarket eMtb motor?

I can only find two brands offering E8000 compatible replacement motors, but both seem to not be available for consumer purchase... the OLI EDGE-SH and the Askoll ULTRA C90A, both from Italy.

Any feedback at this point would be helpful, as I imagine this market niche will take off after thousands of riders with dead motors lose their trust in Shimano.

For interest sake I phoned a Bafang dealer to see if they had any options and despite having half a dozen motors they don't have any that are Shimano compatible.

borysgo2

Feb 1, 2023
Ireland
Closest in size to ep8 is bafang m820 motor but I do not know how about fittings dimension. With a small help of adaptors maybe will fitt in.

robbydobs

Jan 31, 2021
Sussex, UK
Polini EP3 also uses shimano mount, but not available.

The guy behind this popped up on the forum under Matteo Bikee Bike username with pictures of the motor in a shimano frame:
Scroll down here
No idea of the status.

I'm not sure how well the adapter plates would work either. It's a very stressed part of the frame with all of your body weight going through those bolts over jumps/drops etc..

Remember you will also need to change the battery and wiring too. Or possibly replace the BMS on the battery with a suitable one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles