Allmtn advice

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
Trying to decide on anew bike, and the allmtn ticks a lot of boxes, don’t know why, but never really considered one previously.

Theres a huge choice of specs, but wondering what peoples thoughts are on the Yamaha motors? Love the power of the bosch, but like the specs of some of the Yamaha motor models better. Are they any good? Read that they are very heavy on battery usage.

Also did they abandon the Flyon? If so why?

eebit

Patreon
Subscriber
Sep 27, 2018
Germany
The carbon ALLMTN models with the PW-X2 are the best at the moment I think if you can find one. The batteries last ages, I never had a problem with mine. I didnt try an ALu ALLMTN with PW-X3 but heard they offer great price-performance. FLYON was abandoned due to the bikes just being too heavy and issues with the system as a whole. The motor was super powerful, but also really heavy and better, lighter, more up to date options were available for Haibike to use.

The Bosch ALLMTN is nice too but personally i prefer the Yam.

Eddie_Photo_Lesson-8.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6349.MOV
    83.2 MB

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Still over the moon with my 2020 AllMtn 3. Zero problems. I really wanted a carbon version but couldn't stretch to it. I then read about the issues with some Haibike carbon frames on this forum and wondered if I dodged a bullet there. Personally I'm not naive enough to write off all Haibike carbons because of it, but maybe something for you to consider.

The Bosch Gen4 has been awesome, and you can always upgrade bits and pieces (as I have done) but I will agree it is cheaper if you can stretch to a higher spec in the first place. I guess all's I'm saying is, maybe don't write off the lower spec bikes?

Bad-Latitude

Aug 21, 2022
Simi Valley
I have a ‘22 Giant Reign E+2 with the SyncDrive Pro from Yamaha. The motor is great. I really like the power delivery and the feel of the power. In the higher assist modes if you’re stopped with your foot in the pedal you feel the motor kind of surging slightly but that’s only when your foot is resting with a little bit of tension on the pedal.

While riding the motor is strong but doesn’t have a weird feel to it. It feels pretty natural. It’s decently quiet too. I’ve done a few longer rides around 26 miles with about 4000’ of elevation gain and used about 3/4 of the battery with my 625 wh battery.

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
Just watched a YouTube video with a range test between Bosch and Yamaha and the Bosch was loads better. Some bargain Yamaha ones around though.

The 2023 CF 11 ticks all the boxes but it’s purple!

Last edited:

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
We’ll after examining the current range, looks like I can get everything I want spread across 3 or 4 bikes, and the colour choices are certainly a matter of taste! Will need to see a CF11 in person, but the purple doesnt look great to me. Love the orange on la years models. No pleasing some people!

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Just watched a YouTube video with a range test between Bosch and Yamaha and the Bosch was loads better. Some bargain Yamaha ones around though.

The 2023 CF 11 ticks all the boxes but it’s purple!
What year and model were those motors ?
Link ? Thanks

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Looks like an older model, it was this video

No objection to getting a Yamaha motor, but don’t want to compromise range
That review is really old tech, things are changing fast in the ebike motor world. There is more current updates on range comparisons rather then on 5 old outdated motor tech. I would think there are reliability issues that are more important than battery life. The range issue can be dealt with pretty much on any brand with either a bigger battery, range extender or a spare. But if your motor is a POS then your stuck with it. Currently there are no mod kits available to change the characteristics of any given motor save a speed derestriction module. Look at all the different motors and settle on one that appeals to you and take your chances. 😉

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
Well decisions decisions, New CF 8 with the PW-x3, a Bosch CF 8 or an older CF 6 or 12 with the PWx2 and slightly smaller. battery - love the colour of the CF 6

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
That review is really old tech, things are changing fast in the ebike motor world. There is more current updates on range comparisons rather then on 5 old outdated motor tech. I would think there are reliability issues that are more important than battery life. The range issue can be dealt with pretty much on any brand with either a bigger battery, range extender or a spare. But if your motor is a POS then your stuck with it. Currently there are no mod kits available to change the characteristics of any given motor save a speed derestriction module. Look at all the different motors and settle on one that appeals to you and take your chances. 😉
Yes. I’m sure a new pwx3 with a 700wh battery would give me more than enough range. Even if the Bosch gave more I probably wouldn’t need it. Still like the spec choices and colours of last years models better than this years but can’t change that. The cf10 looks good but fox suspension is not something I’m familiar with

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I would just go with the bike wich looks the best for you. You can allways upgrade or replace parts to your liking but you can't easily the colour.

Can't speak of the of the new yamaha, but I owned a haibike with yamaha pw-x motor some years ago and sold it for one with a bosch motor because I like the feeling of the bosch more.

In the meantime I bought a haibike fullnine 10 wich is the nicest bike ive owed yet. The looks and the feeling of it just suits me and my ridingstyle.
Upgraded some parts to my liking.

Also diddnt get the bosch smart system because it's not good to derestrict, and that was a major thing for me getting rid of that ridiculous 25 km/h limit

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
I would just go with the bike wich looks the best for you. You can allways upgrade or replace parts to your liking but you can't easily the colour.

Can't speak of the of the new yamaha, but I owned a haibike with yamaha pw-x motor some years ago and sold it for one with a bosch motor because I like the feeling of the bosch more.

In the meantime I bought a haibike fullnine 10 wich is the nicest bike ive owed yet. The looks and the feeling of it just suits me and my ridingstyle.
Upgraded some parts to my liking.

Also diddnt get the bosch smart system because it's not good to derestrict, and that was a major thing for me getting rid of that ridiculous 25 km/h limit
You're probably right, trouble is, other than black I'm really not keen on the 2023 colours. The full nine isn't an option any more as far as I know, just the allmtn's an all trails with 120mm travel. Have even thought about an NDURO 8 and starring fork and shocks for 160mm, don't know if there are other differences. In an ideal world Id have an orange bike like the 2021 CF6 with Magura brakes and a PWX-3., thinking I'll go for the CF10 in black

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
Maybe look for 2022 models, they probably have a discount now
There seem to be a lot of the CF6 and 12 models around with the older PWX2 but not much else, the new pwx3 interface looks a lot slicker and who doesn't like the latest tech. Also hoping the issues they've had with the 2022 carbon frames have been worked out.

That said, a 2021 AllMtn 4 or 5 in aluminium would tick all by boxes if I could find one

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
Just realised all the 23 models with the PW-X3 are aluminium the new Bosch ones are CF, don't know if that makes the decision easier or harder.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I diddnt want to get any carbon from haibike. There where alot of complaints from their previous bikes. Don't know if they solved it yet

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
The lady has an AllMtn 2 2022 with Yamaha PW-X3, great motor, i like it more than a Bosch CX4, until now no issues.
That’s good to know, I’m not a home Bosh fan so happy to hear the pe-x3 is working well. now trying to decide between a 2021 cf12 a 22 aluminium model or hold out for some carbon pe-x3 models which no doubt will be released 2 minutes after I buy something else!

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
Theres a few places got them on offer, but that's by far the cheapest. Still in 2 minds as to getting the CF6 and upgrading the wheels & brakes as I have some 'spares' here and it looks great in the Orange

Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 13.00.59.png

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
I've had a PW-x2 and now PW-x3 (Giant bikes) without issues. That motor does not have the rattling sound that Bosch and Shimano have.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Yep, done a U-turn and gone for the CF6 will add a new wheel set and some Maguras, quite happy with a Yari Vs a Zeb as I'm used too them
Something I would definitely upgrade is that cheap sx chain and nx shifter.
My previous 2018 hardtail haibike came with nx and sx chain and its absolutely garbage. I broke it in 2 rides.

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
Something I would definitely upgrade is that cheap sx chain and nx shifter.
My previous 2018 hardtail haibike came with nx and sx chain and its absolutely garbage. I broke it in 2 rides.
Just happen to have a kmc 12 speed chain in the parts drawer and plan to go electroni shifting. Pleased i went with the orange the cf12 has better shock, wheels and brakes and was the same price but the red is awful!

Moshe

Feb 12, 2020
North Ridgeville, ohio,usa
Trying to decide on anew bike, and the allmtn ticks a lot of boxes, don’t know why, but never really considered one previously.

Theres a huge choice of specs, but wondering what peoples thoughts are on the Yamaha motors? Love the power of the bosch, but like the specs of some of the Yamaha motor models better. Are they any good? Read that they are very heavy on battery usage.

Also did they abandon the Flyon? If so why?
I had the 2020 Haibike Allmtn 2.0 with the Yamaha PW-X2 motor and absolutely loved it.
The Haibike company sucks. I hate them for what they did. They pulled out of the United States. They offer their great bikes to everyone else but they screwed Americans. I wish it were possible to sue Haibike for abandonment. Haibike, you broke my heart.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles