Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Regarding the e-Tuned for, Orbea got back to me, with a really valid explanation.

The e-Tuned has a slightly lighter damping tune. Fox's marketing mentions the following of the e-tuned forks:

Fox Say: "Our e-MTB Tuned forks feature a custom compression tune that helps keep the wheels glued to the ground at all times, maintaining traction and forward momentum, and a more progressive air spring tune to make sure that even though the initial stroke is softer the end stroke ramps up to provide the right amount of support for those bigger hits."

Orbea felt that most riders who spec the 160 fork that comes stock on the bike would benefit from the e-tuned fork (softer initial stroke, more comfortable for pedalling / climbing / all round performance ) - BUT, they think that riders who choose the 170 will be more focussed on descents / DH performance of the bike, so specifically chose the standard 38 Factory (non e-tuned) because it has a different damping tune, and that that the standard fork provided better performance for descents. The non e-tuned is a bit firmer / supportive on the inital stroke compared to the e-tuned.

This info is direct from the product manager (I rode with him and he is insanely fast!). And it is nice to understand there is a reason for it!

Strrangely, my demo bike DID in fact come with an e-tuned fork in 170 format, and I still personally really like it!!

Rob.

paal

Jun 26, 2022
Norway
Regarding the e-Tuned for, Orbea got back to me, with a really valid explanation.

The e-Tuned has a slightly lighter damping tune. Fox's marketing mentions the following of the e-tuned forks:

Fox Say: "Our e-MTB Tuned forks feature a custom compression tune that helps keep the wheels glued to the ground at all times, maintaining traction and forward momentum, and a more progressive air spring tune to make sure that even though the initial stroke is softer the end stroke ramps up to provide the right amount of support for those bigger hits."

Orbea felt that most riders who spec the 160 fork that comes stock on the bike would benefit from the e-tuned fork (softer initial stroke, more comfortable for pedalling / climbing / all round performance ) - BUT, they think that riders who choose the 170 will be more focussed on descents / DH performance of the bike, so specifically chose the standard 38 Factory (non e-tuned) because it has a different damping tune, and that that the standard fork provided better performance for descents. The non e-tuned is a bit firmer / supportive on the inital stroke compared to the e-tuned.

This info is direct from the product manager (I rode with him and he is insanely fast!). And it is nice to understand there is a reason for it!

Strrangely, my demo bike DID in fact come with an e-tuned fork in 170 format, and I still personally really like it!!

Rob.
Thanks.
That matches the non-detailed reply I got from them. (It sounded strange to me back then, so wasn't sure what to believe)
I'm happy I changed to 160 then :)

EDIT:
Oh, and to the ones who's already received their bikes: Come on! More pictures guys!!! 🥳

Last edited:

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
Thanks.
That matches the non-detailed reply I got from them. (It sounded strange to me back then, so wasn't sure what to believe)
I'm happy I changed to 160 then :)

EDIT:
Oh, and to the ones who's already received their bikes: Come on! More pictures guys!!! 🥳
Mine is showing an estimated date of 7th March, driving me crazy!! 😂 Cannot wait!

cousin jack

Oct 30, 2019
cornwall
I've had a demo on a 2022 Wild, and was very impressed with the performance, so much so that I pulled the trigger on a 2023 H20.
I have to say I was swayed by the bosch motor, 29 front and back, and the 750wh battery along with the great review by Ron Hancill and others besides.
I realised that I may have a bit of a wait for the newer models to arrive, but was quite content to do so, especially after my LBS guys went to some sort of demo last month and reported back that the new Wild was "stunning".
There seems to be quite a lot of interest in this bike and I was just wondering how many had trickled into the country (UK) and what new owners' thoughts were .....any replies appreciated!

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
I currently ride a 2020 Levo. I like the clean cockpit and display. I have to say that the bluetooth switch module on the Orbea has a nice snap to it, and I think will be more user friendly than the Spesh one. At first look, I think the visual mode light on the Orbea will be easier to read at a glance than the three-segment Spesh one. Have not seen this one in bright sunlight yet.
Can confirm above….IMHO. Easy and clear reading at a glance. This in full Phoenix sun….
4E2DCA85-E76E-4062-9BD8-1A75752A809F.jpeg

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany
Interested which Conti tyres and how they perform on the wild
I have my wild since 3 weeks and made two rides. (Bad weather here 🥶)

I opted for the 750 battery and don’t regret it, with the 630 i guess I would have. Had the previous wild FS m-Team and the new bike feels the same, which is not a bad thing, or even better!

The old one was amazing and the new wild looks even better and feels super nimble with 2,4 tyres (DH casing) and 24,3kg. Have the Dhx2 coil shock and I really like the coil on this one, however probably less poppy than the X2 but more sensitive on normal rooty sections.

Great bike, less rattling and really quiet compared to the old one. I’m in 😍

0A1C13E6-391C-4C15-AAB2-D931E20C0ED2.jpeg

Zave

Jul 27, 2022
Surrey England
I have my wild since 3 weeks and made two rides. (Bad weather here 🥶)

I opted for the 750 battery and don’t regret it, with the 630 i guess I would have. Had the previous wild FS m-Team and the new bike feels the same, which is not a bad thing, or even better!

The old one was amazing and the new wild looks even better and feels super nimble with 2,4 tyres (DH casing) and 24,3kg. Have the Dhx2 coil shock and I really like the coil on this one, however probably less poppy than the X2 but more sensitive on normal rooty sections.

Great bike, less rattling and really quiet compared to the old one. I’m in 😍

View attachment 109285
A few questions please:
What colour is that?
What size?
What is your height?

Zave

Jul 27, 2022
Surrey England
How accurate is the Orbea website colours to real life?
I'm liking the Blue Carbon View as it looks a dark shade on the bike. However on the colour pallete it looks much lighter and shinier...

BermJunky

Mar 13, 2023
Nanaimo, BC
How accurate is the Orbea website colours to real life?
I'm liking the Blue Carbon View as it looks a dark shade on the bike. However on the colour pallete it looks much lighter and shinier...
That’s the colour I ordered. Did see it on a Rise and it looks sweet.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia

Rob.
To add some insight about Fox E specific suspension✌ with FAQ and all...in the link

Short:
There are e-tuned forks(damping & air spring tuned for specific area of the sport) and e-optimized forks(e-tune + chassis optimized-beefed up CSU)

The 38 is already beefy enough so only an e-tuned 38 exists.

E-optimized are the 34s and the 36s.

So you Rob probably have some kind of a hybrid e-fox 😜⚡

Last edited:

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Hey a quick question...I am not that familiar with these new designs for running cables through the headset area.

Am I thinking wrong or right about this...would the cables get pinched by the stem turning as a consequence of a crash?
Per Orbea:
Spin Block Protection
Crashes happen when you are pushing hard. Our light and simple Spin Block prevents the handlebars from over rotating and damaging your beautiful frame.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Per Orbea:
Spin Block Protection
Crashes happen when you are pushing hard. Our light and simple Spin Block prevents the handlebars from over rotating and damaging your beautiful frame.
Hey I think you didn't understand my question. I know what spin block is for, to protect the carbon frame from a fork CSU or handlebar hitting it.

I am asking about damaging the cables and brake hoses because If you crash hard enough the stem which is holding the handlebars can rotate from the force and looking at location of the cables going in on both sides of the stem and just under it, if I am right the cables and brake hoses are going to get damaged/pinched which is not a good scenario as sooner or later we all crash...

BermJunky

Mar 13, 2023
Nanaimo, BC
Hey I think you didn't understand my question. I know what spin block is for, to protect the carbon frame from a fork CSU or handlebar hitting it.

I am asking about damaging the cables and brake hoses because If you crash hard enough the stem which is holding the handlebars can rotate from the force and looking at location of the cables going in on both sides of the stem and just under it, if I am right the cables and brake hoses are going to get damaged/pinched which is not a good scenario as sooner or later we all crash...
If the spin block stops the bars from over rotating then I’m thinking it will prevent cable damage?

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
If the spin block stops the bars from over rotating then I’m thinking it will prevent cable damage?
I am guessing Orbea is using the Acros block lock headset rebranded with their name.

The sole purpose of these block headsets is to limit steering angle and nothing else if I am correct.
20230317_202011.jpg
If you look at the picture you can see that even when the spin block (or whatever it's called) does it's job - limits steering angle, the force of a crash pushing on the handlebars can force the stem to turn even further...any serious mtb rider has had a crash where the handlebars twisted because the stem turned.

Cables on the Wild/Rise are so close to the stem that even a slight movement of the stem could pinch the brake hose.
25_rise23-sealed-internal-cables.jpg

The only way this would not happen is if the stem is somehow connected to the spin block headset, which I think it isn't?

Maybe it's easier to understand what I mean in this video where you can see that the stem is not connected to the spin block headset.

Last edited:

BermJunky

Mar 13, 2023
Nanaimo, BC
I am guessing Orbea is using the Acros block lock headset rebranded with their name.

The sole purpose of these block headsets is to limit steering angle and nothing else if I am correct.
View attachment 109447
If you look at the picture you can see that even when the spin block (or whatever it's called) does it's job - limits steering angle, the force of a crash pushing on the handlebars can force the stem to turn even further...any serious mtb rider has had a crash where the handlebars twisted because the stem turned.

Cables on the Wild/Rise are so close to the stem that even a slight movement of the stem could pinch the brake hose.
View attachment 109448

The only way this would not happen is if the stem is somehow connected to the spin block headset, which I think it isn't?

Maybe it's easier to understand what I mean in this video where you can see that the stem is not connected to the spin block headset.

Why don’t you ask Orbea? Seems you are going a long way for an answer that may be very easy to get….

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona

Ah, yes. I see what you're asking now....

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Congrats! Could you share your ride impressions? Thanks!
My other bike is a 2020 Levo Comp. Really liking the new bike, but it’s a bit different animal….longer, slacker. Climbs well, as does my Levo. It’s definitely more stable downhill and in steep chunk (some due to 38 versus Lyrik). Takes a bit more to steer in tight turns but I’m getting used to it quickly I think.

To me, I like both the Brose & Bosch motors. Each feels a little different but app tuning helps tweak the modes on each. I don’t notice the Bosch motor rattle people talk about.

Suspension needs more tune as expected. I swapped the Float X for an Ohlins TTX22m.2 coil.

I’m about 155 lbs. kitted (70 kg) and I’ve done three desert rides this week. Battery is a 750.

Battery use Miles Elevation
59% — 27.1 — 3200 ft. — ~90% EMTB / 10% Turbo
84% — 31.0 — 3800 ft. — 80%/20%
50% — 19.5 — 2100 ft. — 90%/10%

Oh, and a rock bit my derraileur in a freak hit today…. ☹️
AEFB5A8A-7A15-4E37-AC1D-68140087857D.jpeg

Last edited:

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
My other bike is a 2020 Levo Comp. Really liking the new bike, but it’s a bit different animal….longer, slacker. Climbs well, as does my Levo. It’s definitely more stable downhill and in steep chunk (some due to 38 versus Lyrik). Takes a bit more to steer in tight turns but I’m getting used to it quickly I think.

To me, I like both the Brose & Bosch motors. Each feels a little different but app tuning helps tweak the modes on each. I don’t notice the Bosch motor rattle people talk about.

Suspension needs more tune as expected. I swapped the Float X for an Ohlins TTX22m.2 coil.

I’m about 155 lbs. kitted (70 kg) and I’ve done three desert rides this week. Battery is a 750.

Battery use Miles Elevation
59% 27.1 3200 ft. ~90% EMTB / 10% Turbo
84% 31.0 3800 ft. 80%/20%
50% 19.5 2100 ft. 90%/10%

Oh, and a rock bit my derraileur in a freak hit today…. ☹️ View attachment 109538
Thanks and sorry for your derailleur.
Was it harsh/nervous with the Float X?
Thanks

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
The bike shop I had my new wild M10 delivered to this week have left me a voicemail saying there's an issue with my bike that they've just built. Hopefully nothing serious but I'll call them tomorrow to find out.

Will keep yous in the loop if its anything significant. Just wish they'd said in the voice msg :/

**pics of how my bike arrived from Orbea. Absolutely gutted tbh, can't help but think it left the factory in this way due to the location of the damage but who knows**

20230321_145533.jpg 20230321_145546.jpg

Last edited:

BermJunky

Mar 13, 2023
Nanaimo, BC
The bike shop I had my new wild M10 delivered to this week have left me a voicemail saying there's an issue with my bike that they've just built. Hopefully nothing serious but I'll call them tomorrow to find out.

Will keep yous in the loop if its anything significant. Just wish they'd said in the voice msg :/

**pics of how my bike arrived from Orbea. Absolutely gutted tbh, can't help but think it left the factory in this way due to the location of the damage but who knows**

View attachment 109813 View attachment 109814
What’s the remedy? Sorry to see that. We wait a long time for these bikes. QC is paramount, Orbea!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles