All New 2023 Orbea Wild

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Could you take another picture where it shows the gap in front? It seem like you don’t have so much space between.
Better pics….
33472F7B-8C23-46AF-8C4A-BEBB5A9A25B3.jpeg

1D191A14-3DDC-4F2C-B049-56FAEB280974.jpeg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
What type of headset do those bikes use? Integrated ( IE no separate cups) or some form of separate cup ( either zero stack zs, or external cup ec)?

A lot ( but not all) bikes that use an integrated headset end up with a gap like that,its not ideal but it is normal ( for bike that end up like that) and not indicative of a fault.

Bikes that use zs and ec should have zero gap.
:) ...never sure what the heck is meant by integrated or semi integrated!! All my bikes have the type of headset arrangement where the headtube has built in faces (plus the steerer tube race) for upper and lower bearings to sit on ( so I guess that is what they mean by integrated.........or maybe semi integrated)!! . Worse case scenario is to change a couple of bearings......but I only buy ally bikes and would not buy one with cables going through the headset! Never had to change bearings.........all I do is clean and grease twice a year. My Whyte E160 RSX uses FSA 55/35 Orbit 1.5 ZS (1.8 and 1 1/8 bearings).

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
As a smaller rider with short legs, does anyone know the minimum seat height to ground for the new Wild -i.e. the 'Sitover'?

The specs give the max seatpost extension but not how low a saddle can go.

Seems like most manufacturers just state 'Standover' which is really not that relevant when you have a dropper.

Thanks

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
As a smaller rider with short legs, does anyone know the minimum seat height to ground for the new Wild -i.e. the 'Sitover'?

Seems like most manufacturers just state 'Standover' which is really not that relevant when you have a dropper.

Thanks

I’m trying to understand what you mean or why you’d need to know this. Can you give a little more context to your post?

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
He wants to know the saddle height when its fully dropped.

That’s what I thought, but it’ll just depend on what dropper post and saddle is used. So it totally depends…..lol

Each dropper has a different stack height and you can get thin saddles and thick saddles.

So seat tube length + dropper stack height + saddle thickness = 🤷🏼‍♂️

A small and medium frame have a seat tube length of 415mm.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA

Thanks
In the Blue Paper, it says Minimum height saddle extended is 645mm which would be 520mm dropped (measured from BB to top of saddle. . You should be able to Compare these figures to a current bike that fits you.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
That’s what I thought, but it’ll just depend on what dropper post and saddle is used. So it totally depends…..lol

Each dropper has a different stack height and you can get thin saddles and thick saddles.

So seat tube length + dropper stack height + saddle thickness = 🤷🏼‍♂️

A small and medium frame have a seat tube length of 415mm.
He's more than likely looking at stock components.....

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
He's more than likely looking at stock components.....

Just seems like an odd thing to be concerned about. Like I said different droppers have different stack heights.

For example OneUp’s dropper have a stack height of only 40mm, while a Rockshox AXS dropper has a stack height of 75mm. So a saddle with sit 35mm lower on a frame when using a OneUp compared to a AXS dropper.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Just seems like an odd thing to be concerned about. Like I said different droppers have different stack heights.

For example OneUp’s dropper have a stack height of only 40mm, while a Rockshox AXS dropper has a stack height of 75mm. So a saddle with sit 35mm lower on a frame when using a OneUp compared to a AXS dropper.
Not odd at all. Rider wants to know if feet can touch the ground when saddle is dropped. Common issue with riders with Short legs. As a 6ft tall rider w/ long torso and short legs it is important to know. t's the one measurement I can't over look when getting a new bike. If he's asking the Question.....do you really think he's calculating component comparison heights?

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
@Rob Rides EMTB

Morning Rob, just wondered if you'd be in a position to find out any further details of a release date from your contacts regarding my email below. ORBEA haven't got back to me yet....

"Our new 2023 Wild models use the new HS02 headset standard. This HS02 system has been created primarily to:
  • House the Spinblock headset lockout system.
  • SIC system for cable routing underneath the stem.
About the option of mounting a standard spacer under the stem, with 2023 Wild's original mounting it would not be possible, as it uses specific spacers that are profiled and serve to transfer the headset lock that the spinblock makes.

We will soon offer a universal SIC adapter (without Spinblock function), to mount standard stems.With this adapter we believe that you can mount a standard spacer and stem.

To mount this adapter, you would have to go to an official Orbea dealer. They will carry out and verify that the installation is correctly done"

Thanks

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Rob Rides EMTB

Morning Rob, just wondered if you'd be in a position to find out any further details of a release date from your contacts regarding my email below. ORBEA haven't got back to me yet....

"Our new 2023 Wild models use the new HS02 headset standard. This HS02 system has been created primarily to:
  • House the Spinblock headset lockout system.
  • SIC system for cable routing underneath the stem.
About the option of mounting a standard spacer under the stem, with 2023 Wild's original mounting it would not be possible, as it uses specific spacers that are profiled and serve to transfer the headset lock that the spinblock makes.

We will soon offer a universal SIC adapter (without Spinblock function), to mount standard stems.With this adapter we believe that you can mount a standard spacer and stem.

To mount this adapter, you would have to go to an official Orbea dealer. They will carry out and verify that the installation is correctly done"

Thanks
Asking now

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex

I thought it was a simple question!

Looking for the actual height to ground of the middle of top of the stock saddle attached to the stock OG dropper all the way down.

As I mentioned in my question, the published 'Standover' only really matters if the seat does not go down far enough for the user.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I thought it was a simple question!

Looking for the actual height to ground of the middle of top of the stock saddle attached to the stock OG dropper all the way down.

As I mentioned in my question, the published 'Standover' only really matters if the seat does not go down far enough for the user.
Show me any brand that lists it? It's not as easy as you think.

It'll vary, Orbea offer's the bike with both a Fox dropper and their OEM. Both will have different stack heights. They also offer different options for saddles, each saddle might not be the same thickness so again that would change that measurement.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I am surprised there is not more feedback to brands on these developments. Designing frames where the fork crown can hit the frame is just poor design and feeding cables through the headset just delivers more restrictions on cockpit set up for no rider gain.
Designers have no issue with cutting a pretty big hole in the top tube to fit a controller but bulk at idea of 1 or 2 small holes for cable feed........which have not given any issues to frames designed that way.
To be honest, it reads like a set of consequential cock ups!!

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
Show me any brand that lists it? It's not as easy as you think.

It'll vary, Orbea offer's the bike with both a Fox dropper and their OEM. Both will have different stack heights. They also offer different options for saddles, each saddle might not be the same thickness so again that would change that measurement.
Ok, time for some maths:

Orbea OC20 dropper post spec shows that a 150 dropper is 208mm extended, so the stack is 58mm ( Fox's is the same)

Wild spec shows a small/medium seat tube is 406 long (to BB) and internally long enough to fully insert dropper.

So, the total seat tube length is 406 + 58 = 464 at 77 deg to horizontal

This calculates to 450 of total seat tube vertical height

BB height is 345

Total vertical height is BB + total seat tube (vertical) + saddle

Typical saddles look about 60mm from rails to top

So, 345 + 450 + 60 = 855

But wait there is more. Sitting in the saddle with feet down will cause some sag - 10% perhaps?

That would result in a 'sitover' saddle height of 769 vs my actual inseam with shoe of 760

My conclusion:
The fit is In the ballpark since upping my sag guess even a little to 12% would make it work .

Did I miss anything?

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Ok, time for some maths:

Orbea OC20 dropper post spec shows that a 150 dropper is 208mm extended, so the stack is 58mm ( Fox's is the same)

Wild spec shows a small/medium seat tube is 406 long (to BB) and internally long enough to fully insert dropper.

So, the total seat tube length is 406 + 58 = 464 at 77 deg to horizontal

This calculates to 450 of total seat tube vertical height

BB height is 345

Total vertical height is BB + total seat tube (vertical) + saddle

Typical saddles look about 60mm from rails to top

So, 345 + 450 + 60 = 855

But wait there is more. Sitting in the saddle with feet down will cause some sag - 10% perhaps?

That would result in a 'sitover' saddle height of 769 vs my actual inseam with shoe of 760

My conclusion:
The fit is In the ballpark since upping my sag guess even a little to 12% would make it work .

Did I miss anything?
Well you're going to want more sag than 10%, for air shocks recommended sag is 30%. So I'd suggest running it between 25% to 30%.

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
Well you're going to want more sag than 10%, for air shocks recommended sag is 30%. So I'd suggest running it between 25% to 30%.
True but if my feet are on the ground then my weight on the saddle is much less so the normal 30% sag will be less too.
How much - no idea, so I guessed.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
True but if my feet are on the ground then my weight on the saddle is much less so the normal 30% sag will be less too.
How much - no idea, so I guessed.
Should be close. If not, swap to a one up post and you lose almost an inch of stack. A friend of mine did this on his small rise and he can touch the ground. he's 5'5" short legs

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles