All New 2023 Orbea Wild

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
You can drop a Novy Splug into the 35 which will improve things I have one in my Yari RC which makes it better than the Lyrik Ultimate, it’s a better upgrade than Charger 2.1 etc

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
You can drop a Novy Splug into the 35 which will improve things I have one in my Yari RC which makes it better than the Lyrik Ultimate, it’s a better upgrade than Charger 2.1 etc
Are you sure? Last I checked internals on the 35 was completely different.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
The riding terrain in this looked amazing, bike looked quite nice too, but as I sit here in the cold with the rain hammering down outside I'm more interested in where (and when) you rode. Looks like a great place to drive the ebike down to for a week escaping this nonsense.
Love a bit of rocky tech, do you think it would be a good destination for a week for pretty good riders who love tech? (at this time of year).

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
According to Novy's website, it fits. The 35 is toilet though.

Non removable battery a no for me too. The weight loss doesn't offset the disbenefit for folk who may not have power to a garage, shed etc. or live somewhere super cold were they may wish to keep a battery indoors to prolong its life.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
You lucky, lucky man! Basque country sunshine and trails and the first (NDA) tests!

As a Rise owner, this looks phenomenal, OK, M-LTD is the lightweight but for me an M10 with 750 would walk all over my 2020 Merida with 504Whr and only 70nM but 25Kg... That's why I bought a Rise (with the extender, giving me 612Whr). Swapping back to the Merida, you do notice the power difference, this would eliminate that some and then more!

I wonder if you can dial-out the over-run on the motor, it is the one thing I dislike about the system when I tried that motor (albeit an older generation).

Mikey B MTB

Nov 17, 2022
UK
Hi, I'm Mike and I'm new. Genuine question: how will the orbea ewsE race team get on with only 1 battery. I have the gen 2 wild and really love it and like the look of this new one. I'm concerned about range as I want to race and train on this bike.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi, I'm Mike and I'm new. Genuine question: how will the orbea ewsE race team get on with only 1 battery. I have the gen 2 wild and really love it and like the look of this new one. I'm concerned about range as I want to race and train on this bike.
Hi Mike.

The mechanics can change out the batteries in about 15-20 mins (they swapped mine from 750 to 625 at the trails. I assume that they will have mechanics at the pits and be able to swap out fairly quick.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada

It's not that hard to drop the motor on the 2022 model so I don't see why it would be hard on the 2023 version. As Rob posted the mechanics cap swap a battery pretty quick.

I'm actually pretty happy with they went with a fixed battery and went away from the stupid locking mechanism that adds some much unnecessary weight to the bike.

Trail Blazer

Jun 13, 2021
Sweden
Interesting...seems like its perfect combo price performance and geo. I have the Rise M10 and its perfect for trail riding but this would be a complement for big mountain days. I was thinking of buying the Transition Relay with Fazua or the next SP Levo SL for that. Even thinking about the Transition Repeater as an option.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
So at what point should the battery be stored or charged indoors? What is the temperature range or high and low for potential problems?

also, what is the over run on the standard Bosch motor? The race having a 2 meter over run may be great in an experts hands for racing, but for us mortals, that could be dangerous.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
Removable batteries are the biggest source of issues on ebikes at most local bike shops. My local bike shop spends more time trying to get the battery contacts lined up properly once wear and tear sets in then any other single issue on emtbs (this is true for all brands that have a removable battery, not just one in particular) It's also the leading cause for water ingress through general riding. Combine all that with the fact that there are serious engineering compromises with regards to weight, complexity and stiffness... it's something that is a scourge to bike mechanics and designers alike.

I think that you're going to struggle to find high performance emtb's with removable batteries from major brands, that take warranty support seriously from this point on. I realize that many people (especially those in the uk) rely on this feature for storage and day to day use... but it's just very difficult to do properly with all of the forces/flexing going on in the frames and the sensitive nature of the electrical components on these bikes. When it comes to electrical components, if the contacts loosen, voltage drops, amperage spikes and the components of the bike are at risk. If you've ever played around with FEA on bike frames... you'd cringe at the idea of a removable battery in the downtube of a performance mountain bike.

Regarding the wild... pretty awesome bike from a design perspective. Vital stated that the Large M-LTD weighs in at 46lbs without pedals, pretty respectable for a full power, 160/170 emtb. The aesthetics of the bike are gorgeous tbh... the way that the top tube leads right into the seat stays is awesome, and the lower shock eyelet/pivot point brace that parallels the top tube looks awesome. The last wild, honestly looked terrible with the kinked top tube and the chunky motor/downtube junction. Geo changes look great, but it sucks that they don't have an XL as at 6'2", I do not fit on this bike with a 480 reach and a 620 ETT. I wonder about the ride quality when mtb journalists are mentioning excessive frame stiffness and getting beat up on descents. That means that most of the rest of us that don't ride at mach chicken putting tons of energy into the bike, are going to get the crap kicked out of us.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Removable batteries are the biggest source of issues on ebikes at most local bike shops. My local bike shop spends more time trying to get the battery contacts lined up properly once wear and tear sets in then any other single issue on emtbs (this is true for all brands that have a removable battery, not just one in particular) It's also the leading cause for water ingress through general riding. Combine all that with the fact that there are serious engineering compromises with regards to weight, complexity and stiffness... it's something that is a scourge to bike mechanics and designers alike.

I think that you're going to struggle to find high performance emtb's with removable batteries from major brands, that take warranty support seriously from this point on. I realize that many people (especially those in the uk) rely on this feature for storage and day to day use... but it's just very difficult to do properly with all of the forces/flexing going on in the frames and the sensitive nature of the electrical components on these bikes. When it comes to electrical components, if the contacts loosen, voltage drops, amperage spikes and the components of the bike are at risk. If you've ever played around with FEA on bike frames... you'd cringe at the idea of a removable battery in the downtube of a performance mountain bike.

Regarding the wild... pretty awesome bike from a design perspective. Vital stated that the Large M-LTD weighs in at 46lbs without pedals, pretty respectable for a full power, 160/170 emtb. The aesthetics of the bike are gorgeous tbh... the way that the top tube leads right into the seat stays is awesome, and the lower shock eyelet/pivot point brace that parallels the top tube looks awesome. The last wild, honestly looked terrible with the kinked top tube and the chunky motor/downtube junction. Geo changes look great, but it sucks that they don't have an XL as at 6'2", I do not fit on this bike with a 480 reach and a 620 ETT. I wonder about the ride quality when mtb journalists are mentioning excessive frame stiffness and getting beat up on descents. That means that most of the rest of us that don't ride at mach chicken putting tons of energy into the bike, are going to get the crap kicked out of us.
There Is an XL,it has a 505mm reach

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I didn’t think it felt stiff at all. It didn’t feel flexy, but certainly not too stiff in XL size with alu wheelset.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
I'm just curious, why it took half a decade !! for Orbea (other brands too) to create ebike with decent geometry ??? (comparing to my analog bike from 2018, which is quite similar).
Is it because ebikes were targeting (were designed for) sunday warriors before and not for racing/professionals/aggressive riders ?
and now, when ebikes started to be more popular among fast riders, it's time to make them more aggressive ?

Last edited:

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
Wild M10 seems the sweet spot with Fox 38s and float X at 8k.
I thought that at first - but then noticed the fork and shock are only the 'Performance' level. Maybe things have changed, but I once bought a bike with 'Performance' (ie bottom of the range) level forks - they were terrible. Never again!

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
How often do you have to recharge the bluetooth remote?

EDIT---- I found out. It's a CR2016 battery.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles