All New 2023 Orbea Wild

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
Like the look of the new Wild, I have a 2021, but not being able to remove the battery is a pain. We just spent a week in Scotland and there is no way we could have taken the (shit up) bikes into the cottage we rented to charge them, and the van was to far away for an extension lead.
Every time we go away we have to remove the battery to charge so it would be a non starter for me.
I do get that not having the huge hole in the front of the frame makes it stronger, so they can make it lighter using less material, but other manufacturers have just tilted the motor up to allow the battery to slide out the bottom.

1ma2t

Nov 21, 2022
Utah
FYI on Fork.

160mm comes with the 68HT crown (fat crown)

170mm comes with 58mm crown (regular crown). Both fit fine. Slight step down on the 58 HT (170mm Fork)

View attachment 101677
@Rob Rides EMTB Can you show us more of the amazing paint? I am looking to build a bike with MyO and that's a new color, so it's hard to see examples.

Can you see the carbon layers under the paint? --Orbea has it listed as a "carbon view" paint style.
Please and thank you!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Rob Rides EMTB Can you show us more of the amazing paint? I am looking to build a bike with MyO and that's a new color, so it's hard to see examples.

Can you see the carbon layers under the paint? --Orbea has it listed as a "carbon view" paint style.
Please and thank you!

paal

Jun 26, 2022
Norway
Just came across a Norwegian distributor with a sweet early buy discount. Stock bikes should be delivered in January, custom ones in March.

Gotta make up my mind by the end of this week:
Custom military green M-Team with 170 fork and 175 fox dropper (would be my perfect slammed fit) or "just" a stock M10 :unsure:

Wild.png

Mar 10, 2022
United Kingdom
Just came across a Norwegian distributor with a sweet early buy discount. Stock bikes should be delivered in January, custom ones in March.

Custom military green M-Team with 170 fork and 175 fox dropper (would be my perfect slammed fit) or "just" a stock M10 :unsure:

View attachment 101864
Jesus you won't have much money left for Bamse mums then!

paal

Jun 26, 2022
Norway
How did you find a dealer offering discounts?

Any USA discounts? Would love that...

Definitely going custom paint
I was just looking for a Norwegian distributor, and it was the first one that popped up:

wildSale.png

Oldhack79

Aug 30, 2022
Perth, Western Australia
Anyone want to take a stab at (or actually know) the weight of the H10 model? I’m assuming add about 1kg over the carbon version for frame and components? This would bring it in around 22kg or very similar to a Gen 3 Levo carbon version if I am not mistaken?
That would be a pretty good weight still for an Enduro ready Emtb I figure. The light full fat option appeals to me more than the Ultra lights which I feel are too compromised for range at decent power settings. Pretty interested in the H10 version as a result, but like others I am disappointed at the spec for the price. Almost as bad as Specialized! I would upgrade the fork to the Grip 2 dampener and extend travel to 170mm while I am there. Then there is the shock which I would want to replace and Deore spec brakes to deal with 🤦🏼‍♂️ , again upgrade to XT or similar. The rest I can manage I think.

1ma2t

Nov 21, 2022
Utah
Anyone want to take a stab at (or actually know) the weight of the H10 model? I’m assuming add about 1kg over the carbon version for frame and components? This would bring it in around 22kg or very similar to a Gen 3 Levo carbon version if I am not mistaken?
That would be a pretty good weight still for an Enduro ready Emtb I figure. The light full fat option appeals to me more than the Ultra lights which I feel are too compromised for range at decent power settings. Pretty interested in the H10 version as a result, but like others I am disappointed at the spec for the price. Almost as bad as Specialized! I would upgrade the fork to the Grip 2 dampener and extend travel to 170mm while I am there. Then there is the shock which I would want to replace and Deore spec brakes to deal with 🤦🏼‍♂️ , again upgrade to XT or similar. The rest I can manage I think.
I expect your weights are a little low. 23.5kg would be my guess.
LTD 20900g+800g 750w, +700g alloy frame, + 700g wheels, +150g motor, +250 drivetrain/brakes=23,500

You can customize the fork you order, change it to 170mm grip 2, brakes, cockpit.
At least I did on my M10.

If you are concerned about spending money on a new bike, you probably shouldn't.

Have you ridden a Grip damper? I have ridden a lot of grip and grip2 forks, you can't really tell the difference.
Unless you are really familiar with how to tune the fork with high/low rebound/compression. then grip is going to be just as smooth and plush as grip2. They are based on the same damper design, grip2 just has more adjustments.

And the shimano 4 pot brakes and xt brakes are the same power, one just has shiney finish and cooling fins.

But if you have money to burn-spend it; but I doubt other than trail cred, you aren't going to have any performance benefits from upgrading aforementioned parts.

Redders473

Jul 30, 2020
Leeds
I'm interested to see how they plan to race these at EWSE races, dropping the motor for a battery swap can't be easy

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber

View attachment 101864
I like the green . Looks sweet

Oldhack79

Aug 30, 2022
Perth, Western Australia
I expect your weights are a little low. 23.5kg would be my guess.
LTD 20900g+800g 750w, +700g alloy frame, + 700g wheels, +150g motor, +250 drivetrain/brakes=23,500

You can customize the fork you order, change it to 170mm grip 2, brakes, cockpit.
At least I did on my M10.

If you are concerned about spending money on a new bike, you probably shouldn't.

Have you ridden a Grip damper? I have ridden a lot of grip and grip2 forks, you can't really tell the difference.
Unless you are really familiar with how to tune the fork with high/low rebound/compression. then grip is going to be just as smooth and plush as grip2. They are based on the same damper design, grip2 just has more adjustments.

And the shimano 4 pot brakes and xt brakes are the same power, one just has shiney finish and cooling fins.

But if you have money to burn-spend it; but I doubt other than trail cred, you aren't going to have any performance benefits from upgrading aforementioned parts.
Thanks for the detailed feedback. I see how you got to those numbers and the weights seem reasonable. I guess if you look at the new Wild in alloy versions, they are in fact similar weight to other mainstream Ebikes and not ‘light’ versions as advertised? This is what attracted me to the new bike in the first place. So that means a carbon model for the extra 2.5K (AUD) to get the weight benefits? That’s a bit off to me, given the advising is all around Orbea doing this incredible job of building a very light full fat E bike.
In terms of components, thanks for raising this. I have ridden the Grip 2 on a factory 38 I have and it’s nice, but I certainly don’t mess with the adjustment enough to really make use of all that flexibility. By the sounds of it the Grip would be plenty for me, could save some cash there 👍🏻
Not so sure about brakes though. In my mind you need great brakes on an Ebike due to the extra weight. I would probably want to go Hope or similar but the comments I make are more around value of the bike given the spec you get.
I don’t see great value here personally. Especially if by buying alloy to keep the cost down you end up in a similar weight range to most other Ebikes. It loses its appeal a bit.
But that’s just my 2 cents worth of opinion. They do seem to be great bikes based on the reviews coming out and I will probably still look at one. Alloy weight and spec just brings it back in line with others in my list now vs being head an shoulders above the others, mainly due to the light weight 🤷‍♂️

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
No potential discounts in the US I can find. Spoke to a dealer 2 hours away, he is not ordering any "custom paint" builds, we have a smaller dealer about 1Hr away, will ask them. I really want a custom paint jobbie...

Wife is looking at a last year model with a discount, bikes should hit our shores in January. Also, looking at a Santa Cruz for her... She likes the electric shift.

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
I like this bike alot mostly. I wish it were 180/170. But more than that I wish the battery would come out.

Is it really that hard to design a battery that can be swapped without adding weight and a finicky mount that doesnt work right?

I have a scott ransom eride and i can say the battery mount on that is garbage. But it seems like it shouldnt be too hard to design something better, I dunno. For 75 percent of my riding this would be just fine but when I want to do full days riding turbo I need to be able to swap the battery. Its hard to imagine designing a bike and not having a hot swappable battery be one of the top design priorities at least to me.

I would have to think long and hard before buying one of these unless it were discounted a significant bit.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If you design a bike which will fit everyone's desires - you will fail ..

If you design a bike aimed at a more focused area, accepting compromises (because there will be some anyway) then you can make a bike which has many advantages for that group - then you can also charge a premium for it and if demand is higher than your supply ability, what do you care if it doesn't fit with some peoples needs and desires ?

paal

Jun 26, 2022
Norway
As you can read just here The grometry is the same (axle to Crown Fork)

Thanks anyway

Geometry is the same with both 160 and 170 forks?

So if you wanted a slacker, slightly shorter/higher geometry you could choose a 160 version from Orbea and then replace the air shaft with a 170 variant? (or vice versa)

Is this correct?
I was under the impression that the official geo was for the 160 version only. :unsure:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Geometry is the same with both 160 and 170 forks?

So if you wanted a slacker, slightly shorter/higher geometry you could choose a 160 version from Orbea and then replace the air shaft with a 170 variant? (or vice versa)

Is this correct?
I was under the impression that the official geo was for the 160 version only. :unsure:
Geo is for the 160 version. 170 will slacken the head angle by approx 0.5 degrees, reduce the reach by around 4-5mm and raise the BB slightly.

OZ-E

Jun 21, 2021
Australia
Big lead times and they say you should go into the LBS to pick one up and feel the weight. Pretty difficult to do when they wont have any for months.
They really need to list the weights for each spec.

paal

Jun 26, 2022
Norway
I sent an eMail to Orbea a few days ago about the geometry.
Their reply surprised me, especially considering Robs head-angle measurement earlier in the thread.

My Question:

Hello,
I just ordered a 2023 Wild M-Team through my local dealer.
I assume the stated geometry is with a 160 fork(?) I ordered 170. Does this mean mine will be slightly slacker, shorter reach and taller than advertised, or is it the other way around?

wildgeo2.png

Reply from Orbea:

Hello Paal,
The geometry of the attached image is 170. Modifications for 160 forks will be made in the next few days.

Best regards

Jcolborn48

Apr 13, 2020
California
Any idea the weight difference between the 625w battery and the 750w? 625w should be enough for all the riding I do, but if the weight is negligible might as well get the big one

paal

Jun 26, 2022
Norway
Any idea the weight difference between the 625w battery and the 750w? 625w should be enough for all the riding I do, but if the weight is negligible might as well get the big one
I got the 625 myself for a 900g weight reduction.

I have already ordered the bike, but I'm considering requesting a change to get the 160mm fork for the e-Tuned variant.

WildOrder.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles