mmcengineer

Jan 3, 2022
Sheffield
Ok so today I picked up a 9.8 xt

However on getting it home I discover

Code R brakes
No carbon cranks
A boat anchor of a cassette no brand item

Now it was discounted to 6k from 9k and is maybe in the region of we reserve the right to alter specifications especially as we couldn't get parts when it was boxed at the factory a year ago

Never really noticed till I got home and went to put pedals on it saw there were no crank boots and discovered alloy cranks which then made me look at the rest

I thought no biggie really

I have hope brakes and was going to swap the xt for xtr ,

I was expecting carbon cranks however not alloy as I thought maybe an upgrade from the hope ones I had floating In the spares box which won't fit anyway looking at the spec sheet it also lists alloy cranks as well as carbon

The nail in the coffin that got me narked was

I think the rear cassette isn't going to be Microspline either then I'm going to be 50 quid in for a freehub body.....yep a fifty quid freehub now has me thinking , just take it back, however the reality is it's 50 quid ,I just paid 6k for a bike and I'm being a tosser over a 50 quid part to mount a 300 quid cassette

Other dealers are selling them for 6k locally but the local trek shop had one in so I figured safe bet

Should I return it as basically not to spec or just replace all the scrap that isn't correct and move on with my life

Secretly deep down I know the answer but need confirmation from others to make me feel better about my buyers remorse where the tiniest most unimportant thing can be blown out of all proportion, I do however think there is actually more metal in that boat anchor cassette than there was in a ww2 panzer tank

Last edited:

Nigel100

Oct 7, 2022
UK
Trek were very good, prior to collection they swapped some items to XT, ie original spec, and traded the cranks for invisframe. Talk to them, I expect you'll find them accommodating to retain the sale

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I had buyers remorse for a few moments also when I received the Fuel EXE 8. For more $$$ I could’ve got the 9.8.…but that didn’t have the T-Type wired/battery derailer. But it had alloy cranks. No problem …that would be the first upgrade.

The geometry of the medium Fuel EXE is similar to my Rail 9.7 therefore I installed the same seat, bar, grips and pedals. But those cranks we alloy. Even if the cranks were some carbon type I probably would change those to Race Face 160mm ERA.

I can live with the DB8 Sram brake system …or at least give them an honest try. MT7’s might be in the future. …and so will the carbon rims.

So I don’t know if the Fuel exe 9.8 on display had carbon or alloy cranks. I was probably distracted by the shifting lazer dot on the floor. It can happen …right?😉

Logan5

Jul 8, 2023
Near Augsburg, Germany
I also have the 9.8 XT (since spring 2023) and that also had the aluminium cranks.
I don't know which cassette though. In any case, I complained about it and I then got the carbon cranks from Trek (via the bike shop).

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I also have the 9.8 XT (since spring 2023) and that also had the aluminium cranks.
I don't know which cassette though. In any case, I complained about it and I then got the carbon cranks from Trek (via the bike shop).
I find the Trek dealer fairly good to deal with. They are one of three lBS’s within a 10 minute drive. Prices are competitive amongst them yet they all offer something a little different. They seem to be focused on satisfying the customer now.

💤 (If I’m not satisfied, I return in a dark suit and sunglasses 😎 and lightly tap on the bulge under my jacket …whoa! Day-dreaming again). 😉

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
I also had the Al cranks on my bike Oct 22. once I saw it and notified the trek shop, they offered to replace them with carbon cranks when available or give me $300 store credit. I chose the latter since I don’t mind the Al cranks. They should withstand rock hits better and they are also narrower than the carbon cranks.

towzer

Aug 31, 2018
Oxfordshire
Check your cassette for writing on the inside of one the sprocket arms (*I’m in exactly the same boat as you, 9.8xt new from Trek shop, really good price deal, but going thru bike in garage at home found same differences as you), my cassette is shimano deore, (stamped cs m6100 ) and **I think** they are all microspline.

I think I will probably do nothing
- really good price plus extras
- have code brakes on my levo , they’ve been great , nearly 4 years old and no issues, also I already have pads/bleed kit and they don’t seem massively cheaper than xt
- deore cassette is about 25 quid cheaper than xt if you shop around
- cranks, bit more awkward as I’d probably try to swap to 155mm ones and they are about £280 cheaper but the reality is that I wouldn’t get that secondhand and I’ve heard some people say the wider carbon ones are less comfortable. Also on the trek website it now lists the 9.8xt as coming with either cranks………

*CrankSize: S, M, L, XL
E*thirteen E*spec Plus, 165 mm length
Size: S, M, L, XL
E*thirteen E*spec Race carbon, 165 mm length

Last edited:

Ali_Foto

Feb 16, 2024
Dubai
Ok so today I picked up a 9.8 xt

However on getting it home I discover

Code R brakes
No carbon cranks
A boat anchor of a cassette no brand item

Now it was discounted to 6k from 9k and is maybe in the region of we reserve the right to alter specifications especially as we couldn't get parts when it was boxed at the factory a year ago

Never really noticed till I got home and went to put pedals on it saw there were no crank boots and discovered alloy cranks which then made me look at the rest

I thought no biggie really

I have hope brakes and was going to swap the xt for xtr ,

I was expecting carbon cranks however not alloy as I thought maybe an upgrade from the hope ones I had floating In the spares box which won't fit anyway looking at the spec sheet it also lists alloy cranks as well as carbon

The nail in the coffin that got me narked was

I think the rear cassette isn't going to be Microspline either then I'm going to be 50 quid in for a freehub body.....yep a fifty quid freehub now has me thinking , just take it back, however the reality is it's 50 quid ,I just paid 6k for a bike and I'm being a tosser over a 50 quid part to mount a 300 quid cassette

Other dealers are selling them for 6k locally but the local trek shop had one in so I figured safe bet

Should I return it as basically not to spec or just replace all the scrap that isn't correct and move on with my life

Secretly deep down I know the answer but need confirmation from others to make me feel better about my buyers remorse where the tiniest most unimportant thing can be blown out of all proportion, I do however think there is actually more metal in that boat anchor cassette than there was in a ww2 panzer tank

Ali_Foto

Feb 16, 2024
Dubai
I have same experience, I order Fuel EXe 9.8 XT , but brake was SRAM Code R , gears are Thirteen, shifter and chain are XT

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles