Aggressive dogs

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Guys, I’m a dog lover. Had dogs all our lives, and can’t imagine life without a dog in our home. Don’t make me choose between our dog and my wife! But, the last three rides, I’ve been chased by dogs while out on the bike.

In the 1500 miles I did over the summer, this didn’t happen once, but now they seem to have gone a bit crazy! Yesterday, I had two dogs trying to attack me, and as much as I hated doing it, I had to boot them both in the face to get them away from me. One gave up, but the other kept coming back, until I had to use excessive force and it gave up, yelping.

The owner said “they’re just playing”, but there’s a fine line between playing and attacking. I was absolutely furious that it came to that, but having been seriously attacked by a dog when I was a child, had to defend myself.

I‘m sure that may on here have had this happen to them, so what do you guys do to get around this?

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
First of all ... boot them , is never a good option . Never , never do it if they are not clearly attacking you . Even worst when there is more that one dog , because depending of the group of dogs they could go from playing to attack in a nano second and as you have no real experience ( besides you had dogs all your life ) there is a big change to get hurt badly.

You need to understand if they are playing , if is territory protection or predating instinct ( playing and predating sometimes are very close )

Territory protection - you or the dogs are in the wrong place, most probably you if they have a owner , instead in the case the owner don't give a crap and let them free around their "house" ( territory ) ... go down the bike and move away always at slow peace and if you can not avoid that place have a talk with the owner .

Playing / predating - stop the bike , better with the bike between you and them , yield them "no" , " go " whatever command is mostly used in your country . Once they calm down , start walking a low pace ... they will loose interest .

Anyway , if you are really nervous ... some dogs will feel that and they can attack because they feel unsafe ( some people believe they attack you because they know you are scared so they feel stronger ... this is not the case , they attack because they identify your nervousness with a threat)

So as resume :

Always go down the bike , bikes are very "exciting" for many dogs .

Always calm them before start moving

Never move fast , running or biking , they are always faster that you are .

Never hit them if they didn't attack you ... attack is attack , not " look I'm about to get your leg but I don't do it " that's playing and is better to stop it in a calm way .

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
In my analogue bike days, there was a legal trail I used to follow that took me past a farm house. They had a medium-sized mongrel dog that I'm convinced used to wait for me. Without a sound it would come hurtling in from the side trying to bite my legs and have me off. So after the third incident I took with me a small aerosol can of WD40. When it was about to grab me by the lower leg I let it have it right in the face. It ran off howling. It never bothered me again, but I hope it was OK and suffered only damage to its psyche. :(

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I agree mostly with Spagnol. Some dogs are excited by bikes and even cars so the first course of a ction is to remove the source of the excitement by stopping . Get off the bike and keep the bike beween you and the dog. Most dogs have some training and even if that is rudimentary, understand and will respond to a stern and loud "No" accompanied by direct eye contact.......and remaining still. If that results in a standoff, stay still and the dog will likely get bored and back away. If it does, give "away" commands until it has fully retreated. Ride away slowly. Some clues of a dogs likely behaviour can be determined by breed. Working dogs originally used for herding are trying to round you up, its very unlikely you could outrun one. Small hunting/ratting dogs like Terriers will chase anything that runs but lose interest if you stop. Labradors are relatively slow and lazy....you could probably outrun one!

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
The Expanding leads are a menace ...walker on one side of path , dog on other ..trip wire between them.....Oh goodness me says owner as they try to persuade pugface to reel in lead and let me past.
The trails (legal) are awash with new walkers ..its amazing how a couple manage to take up the whole width and then after a polite gentle "Ting" they proceed to swap sides still occupying the whole trail.Whats that about .
But without doubt the worst are the walkers idly strolling without a clue there is anyone else around until "ting" wakes them up where upon they call out "Fido come here "...where the F*** is Fido?? suddenly Fido appears full pelt from the undergrowth into the path of unwitting cyclist ......amazed I did not do it any damage as my 2.8s squished over it ....thank christ it was not a Great Dane ..boot would have been on other paw
Take care out there peeps.!

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I agree mostly with Spagnol.
I don't agree with him at all.

In the UK, dog owners are under an unambiguous legal obligation to keep their dogs under "close control". If they can't - or won't - do that, fuck them, and their dogs.

And I speak as an out-and-out dog lover.

I fecking hate dog owners, though... Try being a bird photographer that has had literally hundreds of photographic opportunities (which might have taken hours to set up) fucked up by some bell-end dog owner who thinks it's cute to let Fido off his lead to charge right through the gathering of birds you were hoping to photograph...

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
No, the first course of action is to keep the bloody things on their leads if that's the only way to make them behave.

This. If your dog chases bikes/ joggers etc, then keep it on a lead. When our dog was younger she used to try chasing people when she was on the lead, as she’s a sight hound, but as soon as she stopped showing interest, we then moved on to keeping her off the lead.

I can’t fathom why owners of dogs that chase people insist on keeping them off the lead When on walks.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Guys, I’m a dog lover. Had dogs all our lives, and can’t imagine life without a dog in our home. Don’t make me choose between our dog and my wife! But, the last three rides, I’ve been chased by dogs while out on the bike.

In the 1500 miles I did over the summer, this didn’t happen once, but now they seem to have gone a bit crazy! Yesterday, I had two dogs trying to attack me, and as much as I hated doing it, I had to boot them both in the face to get them away from me. One gave up, but the other kept coming back, until I had to use excessive force and it gave up, yelping.

The owner said “they’re just playing”, but there’s a fine line between playing and attacking. I was absolutely furious that it came to that, but having been seriously attacked by a dog when I was a child, had to defend myself.

I‘m sure that may on here have had this happen to them, so what do you guys do to get around this?
hit the owner

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
They actually see bikes as animals. I used to know one that would try to bite the front wheel. It's the same with dogs that try to get vacuum cleaners or brooms.

I disagree with the whole "don't kick" thing. If a dog is having a real go at me - I go in boots and all. They know when you mean it before you do. The ones that chase bikes generally aren't that serious - they think you're scared and running off or trying to get away. If you're half hearted, by all means don't attack because they'll know that too. It pays to focus on how you're going to get the dog - that freaks them out - they know all about that. 9 times out of 10 they'll keep their distance if you stop, and play the cagey game of going for your ankles when you try to ride off. If you watch wild dogs they'll always try to get behind a herbivore to grab it's leg. Chances are you won't connect - they're cagey :). It's the intent that matters.

Border collies are harmless, but cunning as buggery :ROFLMAO:. I used to travel on a bike and every now and then a farmer in his ute would go by slowly, the collie in the back will wait till he's right next to you and let rip inches from your ear. I'd nearly fall off my bike, but had to laugh every time the fuckers :ROFLMAO:. They also develop a limp if you tell them off - real scammers.

For geese, do what they do, get your head down low and run at them - works every time (true). My partner would always get chased by geese till I showed her that, now she gets right into it :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
you’re giving out the secrets of my next book deal - How To Score A Woman by BamBam.

I agree. Once a dog sees where it is on the food chain with a bicyclist it’ll chill. Unless it’s a Caucasian Shepherd.....

Or this

prob good to at least carry pepper spray.
Yeah, what not to do :ROFLMAO:. And all those rocks that he didn't even consider! That is strange though - I'm guessing it must have young nearby? Yeah, if it was spring I'd oblige the cat. Let it know I was leaving but I wasn't going to let it get close.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's the same with dogs that try to get vacuum cleaners
I guess I've been lucky over the years. I've never been attacked when I've tried to be cool and take my Vacuum out for a walk. To my knowledge Hoover has also never miss behaved when we've been out, though I do normally keep him to hand and if not, he's never more than 7 meters away due to his convenient extendable built in lead. I've not taken Shark out yet as he's cordless and I'm not sure how he'd be around other dogs/cyclists/walkers/joggers/vacuums. I'm sure if there was a problem though, he'd just suck it up.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
No, the first course of action is to keep the bloody things on their leads if that's the only way to make them behave.

Couldn’t agree more. My dog will literally return to my feet on one whistle. Then wait for instruction.

Recall is the most important thing to train a dog.

I can’t stand people who can’t control theirs.

Although, Fenton is a classic ?

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
Walkers are not much of a menace, it's joggers with earbuds! No amount of tings, loud "ahem!"s or squealing brakes seem to work. I have to shout, which always sounds aggressive and gets them narked in return. :(
?. After a couple of tings & no reaction or side movement. You know they’ve got buds in or don’t give a f€<k, give them a few millimetres room as you pass, that usually gets there attention ?

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Not that it’s an excuse I do think the motor noise plays a part.

I’ve noticed it certainly gets sheep and horses moving quickly away from you.

So maybe it fires up aggressive dogs?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
?. After a couple of tings & no reaction or side movement. You know they’ve got buds in or don’t give a f€<k, give them a few millimetres room as you pass, that usually gets there attention ?
I used to have a whippet that loved doing "fly bys" :rolleyes:. I'd ride my bike on the road, she had to run on the grass nature strips next to the road. If I said "left" she'd take the next left - that was so I didn't turn into her. If I slammed to a halt - she'd be with me like it was a game. If there were two people walking side by side talking, she'd slow down a bit, line them up, then zoom between them with the accuracy and speed of a peregrine falcon. They'd shriek, throw their arms around, and then start laughing. Once I caught on, I'd see her little brain ticking over in anticipation of a "fly by"; I'd say "ella" in a low tone which would bring her out of her pre fly by focus and she'd behave. On busy shopping strips I'd be riding outside of the parked cars and it was like watching a Mexican wave - all the reactions as she weaved through; lots of giggling and laughter. They had no idea she was with me - just this dog on a mission :ROFLMAO: catching glimpses of me between parked cars.
ella.jpg

Last edited:

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
Not that it’s an excuse I do think the motor noise plays a part.

I’ve noticed it certainly gets sheep and horses moving quickly away from you.

So maybe it fires up aggressive dogs?

I have a very aggressive pitbull and she does not give a crap about the engine noise... but since I move to an Ebike is very rare that I found wildpigs in the middle of the trail so maybe it helps to keep away wild life

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I have a very aggressive pitbull and she does not give a crap about the engine noise... but since I move to an Ebike is very rare that I found wildpigs in the middle of the trail so maybe it helps to keep away wild life

Always a plus ?

Maybe she doesn’t care about your motor noise cos you are on it. So she knows it’s safe and not a threat?

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
Always a plus

Maybe she doesn’t care about your motor noise cos you are on it. So she knows it’s safe and not a threat?

Till know she didn't eat anyone of my friends either and at least twice per week she is mountain "pawning" with us ... and some of them have shimano and Bosch ... both much louder that my brose

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
Could the pitch of the motor play a part? I read high pitch noises can trigger dogs hunting instinct. One of the reasons you have to be careful with kids and dogs and love squeaky toys.

I love dogs and wouldn't hit one if it was messing around. As above I would stop and try to command the dog and remind the owner 'politely' if it happens again I report a dangerous dog. If they have a problem with it whip out the phone and start dialling. Often they have the sudden need to put the dog on a lead and head home.

I have sympathy. I've had 3 dogs growing up. The last dog was my mum's Boston terrier, totally bonkers, god teir stubborn and relentless. it was nearly always on a lead, I could never get it to follow any commands and lethal dangerous to tennis balls. For her last years the dog was almost blind she'd get spooked and snap if people/dogs ran up to her. The amount I times I told people she's not friendly and they ignored it in particular other dog owners..

If it was up to me a few things to make dog owning more social;
DNA logged - along with the obvious tracing, is also for dog :poop:. Parking enforcement style firms to find, clean up, test and ticket owners they'd have a field day. (most dog :poop: around here is foxes)
Insured - you can weight premiums on different breeds, covers health and 3rd party. Its more money but pets are never cheap.
Collar/tag Colour system - Red don't approach, Blue ask, Green friendly teddy

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I was attacked earlier this month by a dog, it went for my foot which was a blessing as I wear 510’s which are thick, the owner shouted at me as if it was my fault for being there, heaven forbid I should be riding my bike on a bridleway which is what I shouted at him, this was the third encounter with dogs, one of them was during a ride that went through a farm, I heard barking and next thing I had a border collie less than a meter from my back wheel so in a flash I wacked my bike into turbo mode and floored it and only just managed to escape a possible savaging, the last experience I had a dog snapping at my heel and the owner actually shouted “boot the little bastard” damned dog walkers and walkers should be banned from the countryside

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
damned dog walkers and walkers should be banned from the countryside

There are various groups that feel exactly the same way about us on emtb. As a species that is crowding itself out, we're losing tolerance with ourselves. Escooters, mtb, horseriders, dog walkers, walkers - whoever. Personally I think anything not involving cars and traffic and in the outdoors is a bonus. Hopefully we'll begin to acknowledge the importance of our remaining outdoor areas. In Australia the bias is still on development of wild places.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
First of all ... boot them , is never a good option . Never , never do it if they are not clearly attacking you . Even worst when there is more that one dog , because depending of the group of dogs they could go from playing to attack in a nano second and as you have no real experience ( besides you had dogs all your life ) there is a big change to get hurt badly.

You need to understand if they are playing , if is territory protection or predating instinct ( playing and predating sometimes are very close )

Territory protection - you or the dogs are in the wrong place, most probably you if they have a owner , instead in the case the owner don't give a crap and let them free around their "house" ( territory ) ... go down the bike and move away always at slow peace and if you can not avoid that place have a talk with the owner .

Playing / predating - stop the bike , better with the bike between you and them , yield them "no" , " go " whatever command is mostly used in your country . Once they calm down , start walking a low pace ... they will loose interest .

Anyway , if you are really nervous ... some dogs will feel that and they can attack because they feel unsafe ( some people believe they attack you because they know you are scared so they feel stronger ... this is not the case , they attack because they identify your nervousness with a threat)

So as resume :

Always calm them before start moving

Never move fast , running or biking , they are always faster that you are .

Never hit them if they didn't attack you ... attack is attack , not " look I'm about to get your leg but I don't do it " that's playing and is better to stop it in a calm way .

A sachet of chilli powder or cayenne pepper ?
Not to throw in the dogs faces . No , for the owner who has no control of his dogs . He should train them more before he goes to public spaces .

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
There are various groups that feel exactly the same way about us on emtb
That's what known as a false equivalence. My presence on a trail does not mean that someone is going to end up in hospital with a torn-up leg because I was completely out of control and bit a chunk out of their calf...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles