Advice Required Haibike All trail 4 (Yamaha PW St) 2022 - speed sensor problem.

Sep 17, 2022
SWANSEA
Hello All,

I have been riding a Haibike AllTrail4 2022 for the last few months and have loved it (apart from the front forks which need an upgrade.....any suggestions?). In the last week or so the bike has developed a problem with the speed sensor. At this stage the sensor has stopped picking up the passing of the spoke magnet and so is reading zero speed all the time. As a result, the bike will provide power for about 5-10 seconds and then cut out with the range figure then flashing. If I turn off the power and turn it on again, I get another 5-10 seconds of power before cutting out again. If i just do short bursts of peddling (<5 seconds) it will keep going until the first protracted period of peddling when it will again cut out. I wonder if the bike has gone into some kind of limp mode? Or does the sensor just need replacing? I have tried to adjust the magnet on the spokes to no avail and I have even dropped the engine to check for compromised wires or poor connections. Again to no avail. At one stage the sensor was picking up the magnet and providing a speed reading on the bike tripod but as soon as the bike was on the floor it would then only read zero. Now it reads zero all the time, even on the tripod :( The bike is under warranty but if there is a quick fix I would be happy to do that myself rather than send off for god knows how many weeks. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
If you're some distance from a Haibike bike shop, it may be worth just buying the speed sensor yourself. Various sources for it but Amazon also keep it. I keep a spare, and as you've seen it's easy to change.

Screenshot_20220918-122036.png

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
...same fix.... but I suspect the fault is in the cable since the only difference between the bike being on a stand and then on the foor is the shape of the cable as it goes from the chainstay to the connection in the motor. .....and probably at the last place it is fixed on the chainstay.

Sep 17, 2022
SWANSEA
That would make sense as there is cable tie that fixes both the sensor cable and the rear break cable in one location and it is tighter than I would like. I will order a new sensor and let you know how I get on.

regcheeseman

Mar 21, 2023
Barnstaple UK
Did the new sensor resolve your issue? I am sort of facing the same issue.

My boy smashed his up when it accidentally got fixed under the crank rather than in the rear wheel ;)

I had a metal cased reed switch assembly and I soldered that in place of the crappy plastic haibike offering, cost about 50p and has not broke since, went through service at LBS ok too. Its nothing special just a reed switch.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles