Advice for noob - Please

DeclanM2

Feb 16, 2020
Australia
Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing my first eMTB. I've been wanting one for a while now and recently rented a Focus Sam2 6.9 in Rotorua and did about a 35km ride on the trails there. Now I really want to buy one.

The focus was a great bike and besides the rock hard seat, I had no complaints at all. It seems logical to me to purchase a Focus bike, however I'm a novice and don't really want to waste money buying too much bike. In the same token, I don't want to cheap out and then feel the need to upgrade shortly into ownership.

I expect my riding will predominately be intermediate trails at a relatively slow pace. I'm not about doing jumps etc. more casual riding though I enjoy the technical side of trails.

I've been looking at either the Jam or Sam range and have found the options a bit overwhelming.

The biggest difference seems to be the Shimano vs Bosch motors, noting if I went Bosch it would be the newer CX. I found the Shimano to be really good and I like the idea of Focus's split battery. I used the TEC and about 25% of the internal battery on my ride but was using boost a fair bit.

My questions are:
- Should I worry about Bosch Vs Shimano or are they that similar that it doesn't matter anymore / for my application
- Should I spend the extra money for a Sam over a Jam or is there no real point for novices
- Is there any concerns with the lower specced suspension, brakes and gears on some of the Jam / Sam models or again is it likely I wouldn't even notice
- Are there other bikes that I should be considering instead of the Focus range?

Thank you so much in advance for any assistance or suggestions you can provide.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Jam in all its versions is a good bike. Personally in your situation, and sticking within the Focus line up of bikes, I would look at the Focus's with the Bosch system in them.

The Shimano based Jam has a much smaller battery, which is not removable. This means you have less range, and you have to charge the bike where you keep it. The TEC pack range extednder is a neat feature, but it adds a lot of weight to the bike when in use.

The Bosch motored versions have a much larger battery, plus its removable meaning you can charge it off the bike, and swap it out for a spare battery for a longer ride. This is also useful if you ever need to travel with the bike.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Hey mate - y'all gonna find some trails you don't normally ride are just brilliant on an eMTB. Old Chevy is one I used to make myself do at least 2 or 3 times a year ... now it is almost every visit to Rotovegas.
What sort of coinage are they wanting for the Focus these days? Looked at one when I was about to change but found the Scott eGenius more to my tastes as far as componentry goes. Being a fatty I like things nice and solid - found the Focus to flex a little too much.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Biggest thing in my opinion, is get something your LBS sell, this way you have a quick and easy place for warranty situations, these are new tech they do have a few issues best to not have to travel far for support.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Agree with the above.
I had the Focus Jam wth Shimano, and now have Cube with Bosch. I can't realy say there is a huge difference in the motors. There are Fans in both corners. As mentioned, the disadvantage with the built in battery of the Shimano Jam is that you always have to get your bike to a plug to charge it. Also here in Europe where we get temperatures down to -20 Celcius sometimes, it is nice to be able to have the battery inside, while the bike is in the bike shed. On the other hand I LOVED the look of the thin downtube, and did a lot of short rides where I enjoyed the lighter bike.
The Jam2 for a beginner / intermediate / advanced rider is absolutely fine. Unless you are really planning to do more hardcore bikepark type of stuff where you get your wheels in the air then if you want to save some $$$ I don't think you will regret the Jam. Though I will admit the Sams do look cooler B-)
I think Giant is pretty popular in N.Z.
As mentioned above, I would place a HUGE emphasis on getting your bike from a LBS, so if it goes wrong you can get it serviced easily. My Focus was unfortunately a Monday and Friday bike and it was in for repair 8 times in 4 months. If I had bought it online or from far away I probably would have been Fu.ked!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles