Adding bluetooth to SC-E5003 without upgrading screen

Ashd_AUS

May 19, 2022
Brisbane
Hey all,

Just wondering if there was a way to add bluetooth to the eone forty's that have the rubbish e5003 displays without having to upgrade the display (seeing as there are none in stock anywhere in Australia).

My crazy thoughts were that I could add a bluetooth module (if Shimano has one) and then use a Garmin 830 or 1030 in place of a EM800 etc.

As I type this I am having a realisation that this might just be a crazy idea :)

Cheers
Ash

Ashd_AUS

May 19, 2022
Brisbane
To answer my own question I think I can install a WU111 with some SD50 cables and a couple of converters - going to the LBS today to work out if I do that or just throw a new display in with ANT/Bluetooth (E7000 or something)

Jonamafun

May 24, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
I'm in this exact same predicament. Let us know what you're LBS days!

This thread seems to cover the different options:

Ashd_AUS

May 19, 2022
Brisbane
Ended up getting an E7000 display with a SD300/SD50 converter and added a 3 button switch that had an SD50 cable as a part of it all.

Let me know if you want to know the part numbers etc and I’ll dig out the boxes etc.

Ashd_AUS

May 19, 2022
Brisbane
That would be great if you could thanks. Did you source locally?
Yeah, I'm in Brisbane so just went to 99bikes at Bowen Hills .. but you could order online from bikebug or whatever.

I got a SC-E7000 display (with bluetooth and Ant+), SW-E6010-L switch (it comes with an SD50 cable to connect to the display), EW-AD305 conversion adapter (SD300 cable to SD50 cable for the display) and a EW-SD50 cable (goes from the display to the adapter on the SD300). It was all super easy to install and worked perfectly - connects up to the shimano e tube project and e tube ride apps. I haven't hooked it up to a Garmin computer or anything yet, I'll probably connect it to my Epix 2 watch to be honest.

Yell out if you have any questions - I assume a wireless adapter (WU111) would work the same if you're happy with the screen .. the 5003 screen isn't too bad, just needs bluetooth & ant really.

Saint_Viper

Nov 15, 2020
UK
Got myself a 2nd hand e160 - has the e8000 motor and SC-E8000 display.

Do i just need the WU111 unit to get the connection to my Garmin? and will this mean everything else works as it currently does?

The other option i have looked into is ew-en100 unit. Now i cant see much info on how everthing works together. I know you can get rid of the display with this module, however can i keep the display and have everything working as is?

Or could i use the SC-EM800 display by simplying plugging as a replacement? or is it not compatable.

Many thanks in advance for any advise.

Ashd_AUS

May 19, 2022
Brisbane
Got myself a 2nd hand e160 - has the e8000 motor and SC-E8000 display.

Do i just need the WU111 unit to get the connection to my Garmin? and will this mean everything else works as it currently does?

The other option i have looked into is ew-en100 unit. Now i cant see much info on how everthing works together. I know you can get rid of the display with this module, however can i keep the display and have everything working as is?

Or could i use the SC-EM800 display by simplying plugging as a replacement? or is it not compatable.

Many thanks in advance for any advise.
I would think everything else would work as normal - the wireless unit will work with the Garmin Edge etc (there’s tonnes of videos online about it that). I wouldn’t think that it would make any difference to the display, you could maybe check with a local bike shop though

Jonamafun

May 24, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, I'm in Brisbane so just went to 99bikes at Bowen Hills .. but you could order online from bikebug or whatever.

I got a SC-E7000 display (with bluetooth and Ant+), SW-E6010-L switch (it comes with an SD50 cable to connect to the display), EW-AD305 conversion adapter (SD300 cable to SD50 cable for the display) and a EW-SD50 cable (goes from the display to the adapter on the SD300). It was all super easy to install and worked perfectly - connects up to the shimano e tube project and e tube ride apps. I haven't hooked it up to a Garmin computer or anything yet, I'll probably connect it to my Epix 2 watch to be honest.

Yell out if you have any questions - I assume a wireless adapter (WU111) would work the same if you're happy with the screen .. the 5003 screen isn't too bad, just needs bluetooth & ant really.

Thanks for the help! I went ahead and ordered the E7000 and associated cables from 99bikes. Then whilst I was waiting for my order, I decided to try calling them up to see if they actually had the SC-EM800. Turns out they actually do but they're not on the website. So I ordered that instead together with the EM800 switch and it was literally plug and play.

Funnily enough though, one of the main reasons for changing was for me to enable the Lights option in the app. But the lights still didn't work! Turns out that the pre-wiring on my Merida was not actually connected at the battery side. So i didn't actually need the new screen!

Truthfully I think I actually prefer the 5003 screen with all the buttons integrated. It's a bit annoying accessing menu button on the EM800, and I don't really utilise the extra data it can display.

However I guess I'll keep the EM800 for the day when my warranty runs out and I unlock the beast!

Flying RV

Jun 1, 2022
Australia

Thanks for this info as well, when I bought a Merida with a E5003A display from 99bikes, they just told me that all I needed was the E7000 and E6010 switch. Imagine my surprise when bike cable would not connect to the E7000. Luckily I was able to get a short Sd300 cable and AD305 adaptor from Pushys.

john_char

Apr 25, 2023
Wagga
Just reviving an old thread. This question seems to come up a lot.

Perhaps, if someone has done it recently or is in the process up upgrading their display, they could include instructions and images of the procedure.

I myself have a 2023 e160 500 and I’m planning on this upgrade. Im also interested in relocating the power button to the blank on the cross bar that is screaming out to me to be used everytime I ride the bike.

Thanks in advance.

John.

Ashd_AUS

May 19, 2022
Brisbane
Just reviving an old thread. This question seems to come up a lot.

Perhaps, if someone has done it recently or is in the process up upgrading their display, they could include instructions and images of the procedure.

I myself have a 2023 e160 500 and I’m planning on this upgrade. Im also interested in relocating the power button to the blank on the cross bar that is screaming out to me to be used everytime I ride the bike.

Thanks in advance.

John.
Hey John .. it's super straight forward. I added the part numbers that I bought to do this and it's all plug and play type stuff. I also did the power button as well .. you just buy the button and run the cable down the tube where the battery is and plug it into a spare socket on the motor.

I think when I did it I watched a couple of youtube videos - but I do have some photos somewhere that I took when I did it all

john_char

Apr 25, 2023
Wagga
Hey John .. it's super straight forward. I added the part numbers that I bought to do this and it's all plug and play type stuff. I also did the power button as well .. you just buy the button and run the cable down the tube where the battery is and plug it into a spare socket on the motor.

I think when I did it I watched a couple of youtube videos - but I do have some photos somewhere that I took when I did it all

Appreciate your help with this.

Speaking for myself. I’m a little apprehensive when ordering the components needed. I really don’t want to waste the $$$$ if I end up ordering the wrong parts

Pics would be really appreciated for this.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles