A Sheffield lad about to pull the trigger on a Giant Trance X E+1, anything i should know?

Hi all,

Im new to the forum, mainly from a triathlon background, however since moving from Sheffield to the German/Swiss border for work, I thought I'd buy my first E-MTB to enjoy the Alps from a different/off-road perspective. Essentially, the bike would be for both 'exploring days' as well as the odd trail centre/Alps trip. For perspective: back home despite being a road cyclist, we regularly visited Dalby, Pines, BP Wales etc on my old Orange 5 - despite an obvious lack of off road skills :cool:

From what I've been researching the Trance E+1, appears to tick all the boxes (Yamaha motor, decent battery, seemingly good after sales from Giant, expensive but not as much as most) and I'm fortunate to have a Giant retailer around 20km away from where I live.

From all the obvious experience here on the forum - is the general consensus the Giant Trance is a good bike, or have I missed a list of known issues a mile long somewhere? Anything I should look out for before buying?

Any help, suggestions or casual abuse for the newb questions ;) are all very much welcomed!

Other than that I'm looking forward to actively contributing to the forums!

Andy

Rubinstein

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2022
kent
Hi all,

Im new to the forum, mainly from a triathlon background, however since moving from Sheffield to the German/Swiss border for work, I thought I'd buy my first E-MTB to enjoy the Alps from a different/off-road perspective. Essentially, the bike would be for both 'exploring days' as well as the odd trail centre/Alps trip. For perspective: back home despite being a road cyclist, we regularly visited Dalby, Pines, BP Wales etc on my old Orange 5 - despite an obvious lack of off road skills :cool:

From what I've been researching the Trance E+1, appears to tick all the boxes (Yamaha motor, decent battery, seemingly good after sales from Giant, expensive but not as much as most) and I'm fortunate to have a Giant retailer around 20km away from where I live.

From all the obvious experience here on the forum - is the general consensus the Giant Trance is a good bike, or have I missed a list of known issues a mile long somewhere? Anything I should look out for before buying?

Any help, suggestions or casual abuse for the newb questions ;) are all very much welcomed!

Other than that I'm looking forward to actively contributing to the forums!

Andy
Hi Andy, welcome to the forum.
First thing you should know if you don’t already is make sure you get a good deal, recent discounts have made the 21/22 bikes attractive before the 23 line up hits in full with the price increases. As far as the bike goes you should have no worries, it’s a stonker, maybe worth negotiating an 800wh battery if yours doesn’t have one already considering your location. Of course you can always find issues that people have had but as far as I’m aware there is no go to problems with the model, and Giants warranty in my experience is excellent . I’ve got a 21 trance 3, 5500k so far, no issues. Only thing I do is tape over the gaps around the battery release catch to stop crap getting in. Not relevant for you if your 22 onwards. Good luck with it, some epic pics of the alps would go down well here 👍😁

Hi thanks for the info mate, thats very useful, especially the point over the battery, I reckon this will be an essential for some of my planned longer tours. I'll see if I can do some negotiating at the POS! A good friend of mine back home had a Giant TCR for 5+ years, the carbon frame began to crack and Giant replaced pretty much the whole bike (!) no questions asked and very quickly - hence they were at the top of my list for ebikes.
Points noted about some nice Alpen pics - they'll be no stopping them mate, I'll have to work on my MTB handling skills to make sure they are not all of the local Krankenhaus! 🤣

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
I'm on my second Giant e-mtb, Trance E+2 and now Reign E+2 coming from amish Giant Anthem X 29 without any issues on all bikes. Local LBS is always a plus. Enjoy!

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I just sold a Giant. I also have a Trek. Just so you are aware. . . Read Giants warranty. When I sold my 8 month old Giant I found out their warranty is non-transferrable.
Trek's warranty (lifetime on frame too) can be transferred to the next owner.

Giant's warranty is now a deal breaker for me to buy another Giant.

Last edited:

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
I just sold a Giant. I also have a Trek. Just so you are aware. . . Read Giants warranty. When I sold my 8 month old Giant I found out their warranty is non-transferrable.

If you check the small print you will find that trek warranty is only transferable on frame and components except for battery, motor and electrics... So not that good when the most faults are with the electrical components 👍👍

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
If you check the small print you will find that trek warranty is only transferable on frame and components except for battery, motor and electrics... So not that good when the most faults are with the electrical components 👍👍
Somethings better than nothing especially for resale purposes. I read about way too many frame issues with various brands here on ETMB. Some of us don't like the first E bikes we buy especially when we are as inexperienced as I was. I bought 3 different ebikes over a 3 month period and resold 2.

SteveTTT

Mar 15, 2022
Hampshire, UK
I have a Trance X Advanced E+2, 5 months old, 1200 miles. Had a few issues, wobbly dropper post and battery cutting out - both replaced under warranty. Apart from that I’m very happy with the bike, which replaced my first emtb, a Trek Powerfly 7 hardtail. Service from my LBS has been excellent. My mate with an identical bike had the same battery issues, so possibly a faulty batch.

Rmh1

Nov 27, 2022
Uk
J E James in Rotherham are replacing 4 frames on giant reigns and trance models, mine being one of them. Giant will not admit that the frames are twisted, but are replacing the frames under warranty. Mine was less than 8 months old, destroyed 2 rear shocks, collapsed bearing and a cracked rocker arm.
Giant ebikes have a history of the 2022 models frames cracking on a weak weld just above the motor.
You will find problems with every manufacturer if you look deep enough, but initially giant didn't want to know, wanting to charge me for a new frame.
Good luck with your choice.

Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca
Great bike, it climbs like a champ and de ends surprisingly well. I ride enduro I the mountains of Lake Tahoe and later in tbe year I do adventure ride’s definitely get the 800W battery the small amount of extra weight is not noticeable. Get the best suspension package you can it will make the biggest difference in the mountains. It has 5 power modes take your time and learn to keep the cadence around 80 rpm while using gearing and different power modes to get the most battery life. I can do 50 mi 5-6000’ elevation (you must be in good shape) but all said I regularly ride 3-4 hrs in the mountains and have never drained my 800w battery. Tires do make a difference so ask locals in your area what works best. Enjoy.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Check out the recent thread on Giant refusing a warranty on a cracked frame because the owner stripped the components off it to send back for warranty (after the bike soo wanted to charge to strip it). Seems like Giant are in trouble and are using any excuse to avoid warranty.

Feb 27, 2023
Teesside UK

From Giant UK.

SECOND OWNER WARRANTY​

To be environmentally responsible and encourage a circular economy, registered bicycles will have the original Frame warranty extended to the second owner for 2 years (other successive owners are not included and other parts are not included). The warranty period remains effective from the original purchase date by the first owner.
Giant warrants for the following specified periods.
Warranty coverage for 2nd owners*1 year2 years
Bicycle frame (Downhill excluded)✔ (Second owner purchase date)
Rigid forks✔ (Second owner purchase date, if sold within original warranty period)
Giant own brand components✔ (Original owner purchase date)
Pedals, grips, bar tape, saddle✔ (Original owner purchase date)
E-bike electronic components✔ (Original owner purchase date)
Parts not mentioned above✔ (Original owner purchase date)
For second owners to be eligible for our Second Owner Warranty, we require the original receipt, a copy of the bike registration confirmation email and a bill of sale from the original owner.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
From Giant UK.

SECOND OWNER WARRANTY​

To be environmentally responsible and encourage a circular economy, registered bicycles will have the original Frame warranty extended to the second owner for 2 years (other successive owners are not included and other parts are not included). The warranty period remains effective from the original purchase date by the first owner.
Giant warrants for the following specified periods.
Warranty coverage for 2nd owners*1 year2 years
Bicycle frame (Downhill excluded)✔ (Second owner purchase date)
Rigid forks✔ (Second owner purchase date, if sold within original warranty period)
Giant own brand components✔ (Original owner purchase date)
Pedals, grips, bar tape, saddle✔ (Original owner purchase date)
E-bike electronic components✔ (Original owner purchase date)
Parts not mentioned above✔ (Original owner purchase date)
For second owners to be eligible for our Second Owner Warranty, we require the original receipt, a copy of the bike registration confirmation email and a bill of sale from the original owner.
Looks to me Giant offers a different warranty in the U.S.? Below is what my paperwork warranties. I personally, especially after reading through the variuos cracked Giant fame issues in our threads . . . I would never buy another Giant. But hey, that's me . . . you do you.

Warranties. The following warranties apply only to bicycles and framesets purchased new from, and assembled by, an Authorized Giant Dealer:
  1. Lifetime Warranty. Giant warrants the frame and rigid fork of each new bicycle and frameset to be free from defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the bicycle. This limited warranty is non-transferable.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles