800Wh Battery available in Canada now...

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
It’s really hard to say if it’s worth it. I had the 750 with the 250 range extender. Unless I was planning on doing at least a 4-6 hr ride the 750 was more than enough. Carrying the extra weight of the 850 every ride, I doubt you would drain it beyond 3/4 on your average outing. After riding with a 500wh, 750 wh and a 250 range extender I think a 500wh with a spare 500wh in the truck if needed or packed if wanted, is more then enough power for the majority of my rides of approx 50-60 km(3-4 hrs). The lighter bike/ batt combo seems ideal. I can see why the lighter lower wh bikes are starting to roll out. 😎

Garybee

Feb 4, 2022
Vancouver BC
The 625Wh on my Reign limits me on about 1/2 my rides, and this is the one thing I would really like to fix. So when I saw the 800Wh on Giant Canada's site I put an order in and should get it in a few days.

The weight of the 625Wh is listed as 8.4lbs and the 800Wh is 9.7 lbs, so on a bike weighing over 50lbs its not likely to be an issue.

Plan is to use the 800Wh on some rides, the 625Wh on others and in some cases both by looping back to the car.

For a lot of people range is not the least bit of an issue, but it has kept me from getting full use of my Reign. So the 800Wh while not the perfect solution it is a welcome option and its great to see them in stock in Canada. I tried to get one from Europe and shipping was a problem.

Last edited:

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
I'm considering getting the 800Wh and maybe (maybe?) selling the 500Wh...
Hmmm...

Just do it Dave! It's only money 💰. I've had couple of rides with the 800Wh now and for me it's the end of any range anxiety I've had with the 500Wh. Typical Giant, it isn't cheap and I've also purchased the modified cover to fit the Stance in black, so it doesn't look out of place at all.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Just do it Dave! It's only money 💰. I've had couple of rides with the 800Wh now and for me it's the end of any range anxiety I've had with the 500Wh. Typical Giant, it isn't cheap and I've also purchased the modified cover to fit the Stance in black, so it doesn't look out of place at all.
Nice!
Got a pic of the black cover on the Stance? My mind's eye says it should look pretty cool!

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Looks OK.
IMG_1222.JPG
IMG_1223.JPG

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
I would have to say the 800Wh battery is one of my top 3 mods to the bike. Firstly the addition of the PNW Components Dropper Post is my favourite mod to the Stance. I don't know how I survived for so long without one and it is a quality product and warranty. It has improved my downhill riding and confidence no end. Secondly it would be a close tie between the bigger battery and the new forks. The Fox 34 Rhythm front end really has improved the bike's performance on the trails I ride. The OEM SR-Suntour really was quite a basic fork. The range of the 800Wh is awesome :)

Last edited:

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
I would have to say the 800Wh battery is one of my top 3 mods to the bike. Firstly the addition of the PNW Components Dropper Post is my favourite mod to the Stance. I don't know how I survived for so long without one and it is a quality product and warranty. It has improved my downhill riding and confidence no end. Secondly it would be a close tie between the bigger battery and the new forks. The Fox 34 Rhythm front end really has improved the bike's performance on the trails I ride. The OEM SR-Suntour really was quite basic fork. The range of the 800Wh is awesome :)
Yeah... I thought to myself yesterday that I'll not see a need to get a different/better bike any time soon, so upgrading this one is the plan.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Looks like 800Wh will be the perfect size, awesome from Giant to have rolled out this battery with great retro compatiblity.

I'm currently riding with 2x625Wh batteries and most of the time I was using +-800Wh total.

I will sell one 625 if someone is interested!

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
So am I missing something? On the US site, they are selling the 800W battery covers (Types A, B and C) for $56. But they are not selling the 800w batteries?
Nope, not missing anything. I kept seeing them in the EU and AUS, but not in NA.
One day they showed up on the Canadian site but not US.
They seem to roll out products differently every year. I bet they'll be on the US site in a week or so.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
It just baffles me why manufacturers like Giant, Specialized etc. with all their bulk buying power charge so much for their batteries. A similar battery using the best cells and the proper stock type case for my bike was less than $400 delivered?

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
I noticed on yesterdays ride that the 800Wh battery was not locking into place correctly, and that there was a slight gap at the top. No amount of slamming the battery into the frame would get it to lock in place. As soon as I started riding again it would drop slightly. Worse still I discovered that the battery was no be held by the key lock mechanism, only the secondary latch. You could just remove the battery by operating the secondary latch and pulling. I tyrap'ed it in place and rode home. The battery looked like this (not my bike but a Trance with a similar issue):

Battery Gap Prior to Adjustment.JPG

After some reading and comparing it to the 500Wh battery which was latching in just fine I adjusted the battery latch by a very small amount slightly forward (closer to the front of the frame) by loosening the 3 black Allen head bolts (cap screws) and moving the latch on its base plate. Note you don't have to touch the two Security Torx Screws on the outside of the frame, these Torx Screws hold the base plate to the frame. A picture, again not my bike:

Battery Lock Bolt Location.JPG

Unlike the Trance pictured my Stance has a roller latch mechanism like this:

Giant Stance Lock Assy.jpg

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
I noticed on yesterdays ride that the 800Wh battery was not locking into place correctly, and that there was a slight gap at the top. No amount of slamming the battery into the frame would get it to lock in place. As soon as I started riding again it would drop slightly. Worse still I discovered that the battery was no be held by the key lock mechanism, only the secondary latch. You could just remove the battery by operating the secondary latch and pulling. I tyrap'ed it in place and rode home. The battery looked like this (not my bike but a Trance with a similar issue):

View attachment 97729

After some reading and comparing it to the 500Wh battery which was latching in just fine I adjusted the battery latch by a very small amount slightly forward (closer to the front of the frame) by loosening the 3 black Allen head bolts (cap screws) and moving the latch on its base plate. Note you don't have to touch the two Security Torx Screws on the outside of the frame, these Torx Screws hold the base plate to the frame. A picture, again not my bike:

View attachment 97730

Unlike the Trance pictured my Stance has a roller latch mechanism like this:

View attachment 97731
Nicely done!
Did it affect the seating of the 500Wh?

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
No the 500Wh still fits just as snuggly as it always did. With my verniers I measured the the gap between the battery lock mechanism and the frame before and after the adjustment and I judged that I only moved the lock mechanism about 0.3mm. So not much, but enough for the key lock mechanism roller to drop into the recess on the battery.

Gap.JPG

You can see that the 3 black cap screw holes are slotted for this type of adjustment and I did not completely loosen them off to prevent the whole thing moving around. Just loosened enough for a controlled small adjustment.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Actually now that I look back in this thread to my post #7 I can see the gap in the photos..... So I've probably been riding around with it like this since whenever I've had the 600Wh battery fitted. Lucky the secondary latch works so well. I was probably more concerned with the "sudden off" issue I had been experiencing. Now that seems to be in my past I've been able to notice other things :unsure::oops::mad:

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Those look more like phillips heads than security torx to me? Glad you worked it out though!

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
No the 500Wh still fits just as snuggly as it always did. With my verniers I measured the the gap between the battery lock mechanism and the frame before and after the adjustment and I judged that I only moved the lock mechanism about 0.3mm. So not much, but enough for the key lock mechanism roller to drop into the recess on the battery.

View attachment 97733

You can see that the 3 black cap screw holes are slotted for this type of adjustment and I did not completely loosen them off to prevent the whole thing moving around. Just loosened enough for a controlled small adjustment.
Nice.
I need to press a bit harder than usual to lock the 800Wh in, but it is solid.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Those look more like phillips heads than security torx to me? Glad you worked it out though!

I'm an Aircraft Engineer so familiar with screw types. The identified three 3 black Allen Head Bolts (Hex Socket Head Screws/Cap Screws) are used for adjusting the battery lock on the base plate. The two Security Torx Screws on the outside of the frame above the battery compartment hold the base plate to the bike frame. Another picture (again not my bike) is the Security Torx Screw mentioned:

Security Torx.JPG

Perhaps you are talking about the two Phillips Screws pictures as part of the lock mechanism, you don't need to touch those either.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
what what whqt???
So my EReign MY2020 625 battery can be replaced with this 800? And it jsut needs a new cover?

Exactly and I believe Giant is now listing the new battery cover on the 800Wh battery page which is super helpful.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles