650Wh? I laugh in your general direction...

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Beast!

Mubea E-Mobility: an automotive supplier wants to stir up the bike industry | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

Mubea-BMZ-Motor-eMTB-eBike-News-1-von-48-810x540.jpg

1100Wh!!!

Mubea-BMZ-Motor-eMTB-eBike-News-43-von-48-810x540.jpg

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Hmmm looks like one of those mock up bikes from a mad max movie ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
There’s about 90 cells in that battery, it’s going to weigh a ton!

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Battery/frame integration gone a bit too far. Looks as if you need a fork lift truck to move the battery judging by that pallet:eek:

Lazy Biker 84

Jun 15, 2018
Shropshire
Back to the drawing board with this one I feel. As people have already said, its going to weight a metric tonne and it looks like the love child of KTM and the elephant man.

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
29kg for the bike, 7kg for the battery.

If you carry a second battery in your backpack you're close to this.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I actually quite like it.

The gearbox means low maintenance and allows the drive chain to be a heavier duty item than we currently use which will increase longevity.
It’ll also allow for shifting while stationary.

I wonder if it’s a working prototype, I’d love to see a review or even ride it myself!

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I Like the idea of gearbox , but I can’t understsnd why mtb aren’t using some kind of geared hub like the rohloff etc
Our 500 batteries are only about 2.5 kg and Average e bike 22 kg so it’s still too heavy by 4-5 kg

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Gearbox or hub shifter system is the next major improvement we need My derailler is the most vunerable item on the bike(apart from the rider) and hangs far too close to the ground. Already given it some grief on our Suffolk ruts.
Anybody else have this prob?
Have fun

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The problem with the current generation of gearboxes is they cant shift under load.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
29kg for the bike, 7kg for the battery.

If you carry a second battery in your backpack you're close to this.
Don’t get me wrong I personally love the look of the bike but again durability on current ebikes is what will turn some riders away I fear and until that’s sorted adding weight and power just seems gimmicky and not addressing the real issues. Other fear is if power levels go up then we really will be riding past normal mountain bikes uphill at 25kph when they are doing 2kph and we all know how that song plays out :-(

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
but again durability on current ebikes is what will turn some riders away
You mean drivetrain, chains? I don't see any issue here.

It depends essentially on the conditions in which you ride. Have you had such a difference with what you're use to on a non-electric bike?

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada

It depends essentially on the conditions in which you ride. Have you had such a difference with what you're use to on a non-electric bike?

I haven’t had much luck with mine I shift after backing off the power and stretch them out after 400kms at best on my third chain after 700kms. Others are echoing these results seems to be of your above 85kgs the extra weight really increases wear on the chain. I change my chain at the .75 wear mark. See thread chain wear. Also only ridden in dry this year, cleaned and lubed after every single ride (link by link).

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm at around 550miles on my first chain and it's still under 0.75 stretch. I ride in all conditions, bad enough to kill a motor in 350 miles and I weigh 115kg. I ride mostly in eMTB mode and stamp on the pedals/shift under load far more often than I should. Chain is cleaned as often as it needs it, so nearly every ride, and lubed every ride.

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
@Mountie Are you still on the original cassette with those 3 chains, any issues with jumping with new chain and old cassette ? Just wondering how many chains you can get away with before the block needs changing.

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal
The problem with the current generation of gearboxes is they cant shift under load.

Unless its something like the solution Continental is using in their new 48V motor that has an NuVinci 380 inside the motor. Nuvinci has no problem shifting under load. It's an interesting idea that unfortunately results in a very heavy motor.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
@Mountie Are you still on the original cassette with those 3 chains, any issues with jumping with new chain and old cassette ? Just wondering how many chains you can get away with before the block needs changing.
Still on the original cassette doesn’t skip yet. Shifting is the best it has been so far with the sram chain

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada

I haven’t ridden for years but can’t remember ever replacing a chain on a normal bike.

DEADMEAT

Jul 17, 2018
Hertfordshire
Mubea built this bike as a demonstration of their motor/gearbox and automated carbon manufacturing processes, they are not going to put this bike into production. In terms of their motor, they are in the same position as Brose, looking to sell them to bike companies to integrate them into their designs. The point of their carbon work is the fact that Mubeas layup process is entirely automated, and could (should) be a cost effective, more reliable alternative to the current standard far eastern hand laid carbon method, and in doing so bring some bike manufacturing back to Europe.

But the bike is freakin cool and i want one! :)

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Mubea built this bike as a demonstration of their motor/gearbox and automated carbon manufacturing processes, they are not going to put this bike into production. In terms of their motor, they are in the same position as Brose, looking to sell them to bike companies to integrate them into their designs. The point of their carbon work is the fact that Mubeas layup process is entirely automated, and could (should) be a cost effective, more reliable alternative to the current standard far eastern hand laid carbon method, and in doing so bring some bike manufacturing back to Europe.

But the bike is freakin cool and i want one! :)

Not wishing to be picky but I think you could be slightly misquoting Mubea there, entirely automated I doubt , or more reliable than top names from Taiwan , surely no manufacturer would claim that ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Mubea make th carbon tubs for McLaren, and the Porsche 918, so irrespective of whether they are the best or not, they are definitely one of the world leaders in Carbon. I believe they are also big in the spring/bearings departments for engine components

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Unless its something like the solution Continental is using in their new 48V motor that has an NuVinci 380 inside the motor. Nuvinci has no problem shifting under load. It's an interesting idea that unfortunately results in a very heavy motor.
They scrapped this unfortunately.... he says responding to a two year old post :)

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You can hardy tell it's an e-bike ...

It's more sort of like .. an e-bike which ate an e-bike ..

Or a solid fuel rocket booster-bike ..

Or a high mobility emergency generator/power source ?

Do you think they saw the Levo SL and were hugely offended so decided to make the Levo Obese ?

EDIT ... Do I think I should read the dates before I reply ... The give away was dooms saying he was 115kg's ... I'm sure he said he'd lost weight and after a poo was only 114.9995763 kg's.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles